Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about getting a used Boxster, PDK, with SC? Seeing as SC has launch control, would there be anymore risk that the previous owner launched the crap out of it every day? I'm just wondering if doing launches leads to premature PDK failure?

How much slower is a Boxster s without SC? Noticeable? Worth the risk? Can the same performance enhancement be accomplished by driving in manual mode?

Matt

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've read that the Sport Chrono package is not very useful with a PDK on the street. With the PDK and the setting on Sport+ the engine will run to redline before shifting automatically, not exactly street friendly. It's more useful on the track. If you shift manually in Sport+ the shifts will be slightly faster, but how much faster do you need? However, this is hearsay since I have a Base without Sport Chrono.

I'm interested in what someone with more knowledge will say.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm wondering if the same effect that sports plus gives can be achieved with manual mode instead. My Lexus is350 has a sport plus setting that really makes it more aggressive, but shifts before red line. If I pull over to manual mode, it shifts only at red line unless I shift early.

Seems to me that finding a used car without SC, and thus no sport plus, might give me a car in much better condition. Maybe I am wrong? Launch control looks neat, but wouldn't be useful for me really.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Completely worth SC. I wouldn't buy a 981 without it honestly.

Standard mode shifts for ideal gas mileage which is great and all....

With a PDK, SC does a few things. First off, it automatically shuts off the auto start/stop feature when in sport/sport+.

Sport mode (I drive most of the time) has a soft governor 500 rpm before redline it slightly decreases fuel, the car will not always go to redline to shift, your traction control engages when 1 wheel is seriously slipping (standard is slight slipping of 1 wheel), and significantly faster shifting than standard.

Sport + mode revs all the way to redline every shift, it downshifts at 3k as well. There is no slight fuel cut off. Traction engages only when both rear wheels are slipping. Even faster shifting. It also locks out 7th gear as the 981's max speed is in 6th gear.

I've never actually used launch control and have had mine for 5 months.

I'm sure i'm forgetting something but that's the gist of it.

On another note, the ECU logs all over-rev's which any dealer should be able to check the history of.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Completely worth SC. I wouldn't buy a 981 without it honestly.

Standard mode shifts for ideal gas mileage which is great and all....

With a PDK, SC does a few things. First off, it automatically shuts off the auto start/stop feature when in sport/sport+.

Sport mode (I drive most of the time) has a soft governor 500 rpm before redline it slightly decreases fuel, the car will not always go to redline to shift, your traction control engages when 1 wheel is seriously slipping (standard is slight slipping of 1 wheel), and significantly faster shifting than standard.

Sport + mode revs all the way to redline every shift, it downshifts at 3k as well. There is no slight fuel cut off. Traction engages only when both rear wheels are slipping. Even faster shifting. It also locks out 7th gear as the 981's max speed is in 6th gear.

I've never actually used launch control and have had mine for 5 months.

I'm sure i'm forgetting something but that's the gist of it.

On another note, the ECU logs all over-rev's which any dealer should be able to check the history of.
your comment on SC shutting off auto star/stop when in sport/sport+, I have a base PDK without SC and my sport mode shuts off my auto start/stop. Does this change when equipped with SC?

·
Registered
301 Posts
your comment on SC shutting off auto star/stop when in sport/sport+, I have a base PDK without SC and my sport mode shuts off my auto start/stop. Does this change when equipped with SC?
No. S mode on either SC/Non-SC should shut off auto-S/S. S+ on SC also shuts off auto-S/S.

I've said it in other threads, but SC is valuable on resale. The next owner will think it's needed. If you're buying a used 981, someone has already taken the depreciation hit on the option. Even if SC did absolutely nothing performance wise, it's wise to wait to buy one with that box checked because it impacts residual value.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. S mode on either SC/Non-SC should shut off auto-S/S. S+ on SC also shuts off auto-S/S.

I've said it in other threads, but SC is valuable on resale. The next owner will think it's needed. If you're buying a used 981, someone has already taken the depreciation hit on the option. Even if SC did absolutely nothing performance wise, it's wise to wait to buy one with that box checked because it impacts residual value.
It's not really a money issue to me as much as a wear and tear issue. I've got a hunch that the previous owners may abuse the car quite a bit more if SC is an option. That's why I was wondering if the same level of performance could also be achieved via manual mode. I know there is little evidence that transmissions are being damaged from excess launches and extended periods of sports plus driving, but figured that getting a used car without SC would give me my best shot at longevity. An after warranty PDK failure would be devastating to me in that I'd wind up selling for parts rather than plunking down $18k for a new PDK. That's down payment money on the latest and greatest!

·
Registered
301 Posts
It's not really a money issue to me as much as a wear and tear issue. I've got a hunch that the previous owners may abuse the car quite a bit more if SC is an option. That's why I was wondering if the same level of performance could also be achieved via manual mode. I know there is little evidence that transmissions are being damaged from excess launches and extended periods of sports plus driving, but figured that getting a used car without SC would give me my best shot at longevity. An after warranty PDK failure would be devastating to me in that I'd wind up selling for parts rather than plunking down $18k for a new PDK. That's down payment money on the latest and greatest!
It's a Porsche. It's meant to be driven. Don't freak out about a PDK replacement before you even own the car lol....

I'd also disagree with your assumption that SC cars are "abused quite a bit more" than non-SC cars. Any reputable shop should be able to tell you if mechanical parts are looking worn beyond their mileage.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a Porsche. It's meant to be driven. Don't freak out about a PDK replacement before you even own the car lol....

I'd also disagree with your assumption that SC cars are "abused quite a bit more" than non-SC cars. Any reputable shop should be able to tell you if mechanical parts are looking worn beyond their mileage.
I tend to freak about a lot. :)

I'm guessing the CPO process would turn up these kinds of things?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I tend to freak about a lot. :)

I'm guessing the CPO process would turn up these kinds of things?
Other members would say that the CPO tag gives them enough comfort to purchase. But because I'm almost as paranoid as you, I'd take it to an indie for a $200 PPI for some extra assurance. Make sure to go somewhere reputable -- you want to know absolutely everything. Including paint meter readings.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'll bet you dimes to doughnuts that Porsche can read the OBC and tell you how many launches the car has performed. Ask the seller to go to their Porsche dealer and get the reading. Also not mentioned is the fact that SC brings with it the dynamic engine mounts. In S+ mode the engine mounts stiffen up which if you track might be useful.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sport Chrono is a must-have for a PDK car these days unless you plan to drive it limo-style. In standard mode PDK is tuned for max fuel efficiency which makes the car sleepy and upshifts to 7th gear ASAP. This is fine for highway cruising but frustrating on spirited drives in a sports car. The SC software and console buttons can be added to a PDK car at any dealer for around $1400.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think you'll find it is the gearbox mounts which stiffen up with S or S plus selected. This feature is only fitted with the Sports Chrono option.
cheers
sws

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sport Chrono is a must-have for a PDK car these days unless you plan to drive it limo-style. In standard mode PDK is tuned for max fuel efficiency which makes the car sleepy and upshifts to 7th gear ASAP. This is fine for highway cruising but frustrating on spirited drives in a sports car. The SC software and console buttons can be added to a PDK car at any dealer for around $1400.
Absolutely true. Bought the CR off the lot, it did not have SC, so I paid the dealer to add it. It greatly improves the driving experience on anything other the interstate. Seemed like the engine lugged all the time in normal mode, as stated above it upshifts to 7th ASAP. Only thing that's missing with dealer installed SC is the wart on the dash, which isn't important to me.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Absolutely true. Bought the CR off the lot, it did not have SC, so I paid the dealer to add it. It greatly improves the driving experience on anything other the interstate. Seemed like the engine lugged all the time in normal mode, as stated above it upshifts to 7th ASAP. Only thing that's missing with dealer installed SC is the **beautiful, sexy, and aesthetically necessary clock** on the dash, which isn't important to me.
fixed that for ya

·
Registered
536 Posts
Absolutely true. Bought the CR off the lot, it did not have SC, so I paid the dealer to add it. It greatly improves the driving experience on anything other the interstate. Seemed like the engine lugged all the time in normal mode, as stated above it upshifts to 7th ASAP. Only thing that's missing with dealer installed SC is the wart on the dash, which isn't important to me.
I was under the impression that the Sport Chrono could not be added to a car without it. Did they just add the Sport+ button, or also the dynamic engine/transmission mounts?

·
Registered
126 Posts
A slightly different perspective here...

I live in the upper midwest and have a '14 CLS63 that I drive during the winter months fitted with snow tires. The '14 Cayman S gets driven just about every day in the non-snow months unless I'm hauling kids. I've had various "summer cars" for 15 years or so and have found that I tend to sell them less often when they have more options. It may sound strange, but since they're driven fairly infrequently, I really like the little extra add ons and I find myself looking for other vehicles less frequently as a result. When shopping for the Cayman S I ruled out cars without SC, PSE, 20" wheels and other options to name a few. Could I have lived without these?...Absolutely. I've just been in the situation so many times where I settled for average options only to be looking for something else a year or two later.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How are shifts when paddle shifting? Im assuming that the actual time it takes to change gears is the same despite the drive modes, right? Could one achieve sports plus style driving by driving in manual mode? In my is350, I can drive in manual and only shift at redline if that's what I want to do.

·
Registered
583 Posts
How are shifts when paddle shifting? Im assuming that the actual time it takes to change gears is the same despite the drive modes, right? Could one achieve sports plus style driving by driving in manual mode? In my is350, I can drive in manual and only shift at redline if that's what I want to do.
It's better if you only drive the car in manual mode but still softer shifts and no blip downshift. You get about 1/2 of PDK advanced technology without SC. I drove my car for 1 year like this but really wanted to use all of the PDK. Adding SC was worth it to me

1 - 20 of 52 Posts