Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was under the impression that the Sport Chrono could not be added to a car without it. Did they just add the Sport+ button, or also the dynamic engine/transmission mounts?
I may be wrong here, but I think SC can be added to 987s, but not to 981s.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think it's a moot point. Everyone is agreeing that OP should get SC. OP has not yet purchased a vehicle. Conclusion: OP should wait to find a car with SC.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I'm assuming that the actual time it takes to change gears is the same despite the drive modes, right?
Wrong, but not much difference. Compared to the crappy Aisin torque-converter Lexus uses (I had an RC-F, so I know;)), PDK is like day and night different. Once tranny is hot, gear changes are basically instant in sport mode, up or down, so no need to make them quicker. And both upshift 'explosions' and downshift aggressive throttle-blips are awesome, smooth, and always perfect. When tranny is still cold and in sport mode, you can feel a bit of over-blipping on upshifts, but once hot, it's perfect. Sport+ does make upshifts harsher (especially at hard throttle), but I feel that just abuses the box. And PDK-S is even worse, so glad the GTS doesn't have it. I drive in manual 100% of the time in sport, and everything is exactly the way I want it there.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Wrong, but not much difference. Compared to the crappy Aisin torque-converter Lexus uses (I had an RC-F, so I know;)), PDK is like day and night different. Once tranny is hot, gear changes are basically instant in sport mode, up or down, so no need to make them quicker. And both upshift 'explosions' and downshift aggressive throttle-blips are awesome, smooth, and always perfect. When tranny is still cold and in sport mode, you can feel a bit of over-blipping on upshifts, but once hot, it's perfect. Sport+ does make upshifts harsher (especially at hard throttle), but I feel that just abuses the box. And PDK-S is even worse, so glad the GTS doesn't have it. I drive in manual 100% of the time in sport, and everything is exactly the way I want it there.
Ok, I'm a little confused.

Sport mode 2nd to 3rd speed is slower than Sport plus 2nd to 3rd?
Also, manual mode 2nd to 3rd is slower than Sport plus 2nd to 3rd?

Sport plus is essentially manual, in that it won't shift up until it redlines, except that Sport plus raises the redline by 500rpm?

I'm not saying that SC isn't worth it, just wanting to make sure I choose what's best for me. The only time I would probably use Sport plus is when I need to get away from cops ( kidding!) or when traffic gets a bit hairy. No track around me, so no track driving. All in all, I'll probably go for SC since I hate feeling like I'm missing out.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Check you tube for a video of 50+ launch control starts in a 911. The car never wavers and the driver gets bored / queasy from all the perfect, repeatable launches.

PDK in S+ will chirp the tires shifting 1-2 full throttle. Instantly.

I commute in normal, AX in S+, and DE in S. Great to have that choice. I didn't search out SC but I'm glad my CPO '13 has it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't think you understand the modes.

First Auto/Manual and Normal/Sport/Sport+ are orthogonal to each other, so their are six modes you can drive in with the PDK.

Second, shift speed increases from Normal to Sport to Sport+ regardless of Auto/Manual, but the difference from Sport to Sport+ is hard to detect.

Third, the redline doesn't change in different modes. The discussions of shifting at redline and downshifting at 1650 or 3000 apply to Auto/Sport or Auto/Sport+, in Manual you completely control the shifting unless you press the accelerator past the kick-down detent (e.g. floor it) in which case the car will downshift as far as possible. Also, the downshift in Auto is more complicated than a single RPM, for example the 2-1 downshift occurs at idle speed in Sport and Sport+, also if you use the temporary manual shift to upshift and stay above about 1650 RPM for Sport or 3000 RPM for Sport+ the car won't downshift when the temporary manual mode ends.

For me I think Normal is for very wet, icy or snowy conditions (the accelerator pedal response feels really slow in Normal), Sport is for every day driving, and Sport+ is for fully warmed up very aggressive driving or warmed up fully Manual driving.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
What do you guys think about getting a used Boxster, PDK, with SC? Seeing as SC has launch control, would there be anymore risk that the previous owner launched the crap out of it every day? I'm just wondering if doing launches leads to premature PDK failure?

How much slower is a Boxster s without SC? Noticeable? Worth the risk? Can the same performance enhancement be accomplished by driving in manual mode?

Matt
PDKs are pretty reliable. They do lots of launches at driving schools with no problems at all.

IMO, you'll def not notice performance difference between SC or no SC. There's some measurable (by tools) difference of course, but mostly it's just a tool for Porsche to milk more money from people ordering cars...

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
For me I think Normal is for very wet, icy or snowy conditions (the accelerator pedal response feels really slow in Normal), Sport is for every day driving, and Sport+ is for fully warmed up very aggressive driving or warmed up fully Manual driving.
I agree that [SPORT] mode is the best for every day driving! Mine is always in SPORT.

Hope you already have memory module to not having to press [Sport] every time you start the car? :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sounds like normal mode is eco mode in most other cars. I'm guessing that while in sport plus mode, one can paddle shift up early, right?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I've read that the Sport Chrono package is not very useful with a PDK on the street. With the PDK and the setting on Sport+ the engine will run to redline before shifting automatically, not exactly street friendly. It's more useful on the track. If you shift manually in Sport+ the shifts will be slightly faster, but how much faster do you need? However, this is hearsay since I have a Base without Sport Chrono.

I'm interested in what someone with more knowledge will say.
I have had a BS with PDK and Sport Chrono for 3 years. Love Sport +, use it all the time. Keep it in auto mode, upshift with the steering wheel when I want, let it down shift when it wants. Unlike Sport auto, Sport + auto won't shift on its own till you hit redline or go below 3200 rpm. So, you can drive the car around 4k if you like, but not have to worry about hitting the limiter or falling out of the power band. Love it to pieces!

Reactions: MrJLevy

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have had a BS with PDK and Sport Chrono for 3 years. Love Sport +, use it all the time. Keep it in auto mode, upshift with the steering wheel when I want, let it down shift when it wants. Unlike Sport auto, Sport + auto won't shift on its own till you hit redline or go below 3200 rpm. So, you can drive the car around 4k if you like, but not have to worry about hitting the limiter or falling out of the power band. Love it to pieces!
Ok I see the benefit now. It's immediate power on hand. In my is350, it really comes to life in the 4K rpm range. I HATE having to keep my eyes on both the tach. and traffic. Once I decide to pass or change lanes, I like to have full power available. In my Lexus, this requires manual mode, which is fine, just very jerky when shifting. It's not that I'm race car around all day, but when rush hour hits, I need instant power for maneuvering around. Many times I've been caught changing lanes outside the power band and it sure is upsetting. I'm constantly having to drive in manual since even Sport plus for this Lexus likes to shift up and up and up.

SC it is for me.

Matt

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Ok I see the benefit now. It's immediate power on hand. In my is350, it really comes to life in the 4K rpm range. I HATE having to keep my eyes on both the tach. and traffic. Once I decide to pass or change lanes, I like to have full power available. In my Lexus, this requires manual mode, which is fine, just very jerky when shifting. It's not that I'm race car around all day, but when rush hour hits, I need instant power for maneuvering around. Many times I've been caught changing lanes outside the power band and it sure is upsetting. I'm constantly having to drive in manual since even Sport plus for this Lexus likes to shift up and up and up.

SC it is for me.

Matt
Great! Glad I finally figured out how to explain this. Post a note when you get yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
851 Posts
It's better if you only drive the car in manual mode but still softer shifts and no blip downshift.
Am I misreading your comment? You get blip downshifts in any mode. I'm normally running normal/manual and it blips rather too aggressively for my liking.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I don't find SC useful, unless you're competing or driving on track (which I do). In normal driving, normal/manual does just fine. If you're letting it change gear for you, sport+ is pretty useless, sport is a reasonably good program for that. In theory the changes get more abrupt as you go sport-sport+, but I can't say I notice, I'd be happy with more comfort for day to day driving.

Launch control is not very useful, and you can get much the same effect by just holding it on the handbrake and stomping on the gas. Launch control is difficult to use effectively, and I'd be surprised if anyone had the patience to actually abuse launch control.

You also get the dynamic transmission mounts with SC, but I've never noticed them making any difference.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I don't find SC useful, unless you're competing or driving on track (which I do). In normal driving, normal/manual does just fine. If you're letting it change gear for you, sport+ is pretty useless, sport is a reasonably good program for that. In theory the changes get more abrupt as you go sport-sport+, but I can't say I notice, I'd be happy with more comfort for day to day driving.

Launch control is not very useful, and you can get much the same effect by just holding it on the handbrake and stomping on the gas. Launch control is difficult to use effectively, and I'd be surprised if anyone had the patience to actually abuse launch control.

You also get the dynamic transmission mounts with SC, but I've never noticed them making any difference.
I'm going to have to test drive one now. I wonder how much of a workout they'll allow?

·
Registered
648 Posts
FTW = For The Win

However, the 981 DOES NOT have dynamic engine mounts. It DOES have dynamic TRANSMISSION mounts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sport+ gives you more violent upshifts if you're at WOT. My S with SC will chirp the tires at 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts in Sport+. It's a wonderful sensory experience. I don't get that when in Sport mode. I love driving in Sport+ but I am in pure manual mode on the PDK about 99% of the time.

Sport+ also sets a stiffer ride than both Normal and Sport. Sport will vary the ride quality based on conditions: from extremely stiff (about equal to Sport+) on a smooth road, to quite soft on a potholed street (about as soft as the stiffest Normal quality, which it also varies based on conditions but is much softer...closer to a normal car). Sport+ is always at the stiffest ride quality. I don't think it varies at all. I love it.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that you also get the PCM lap timing/mapping thing with SC. It's not useful at all if you're not tracking the car but I thought I'd mention it. I don't think you get that with normal Sport mode.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts