Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
However, the 981 DOES NOT have dynamic engine mounts. It DOES have dynamic TRANSMISSION mounts.
This it true, but it's a bit of a moot point. The 911 has dynamic engine mounts, the Boxster has dynamic transmission mounts, in the 911 the engine is above/between the rear wheels, in the Boxster it's the gearbox, the engine and gearbox are rigidly connected so the mounts of one are also the mounts of the other.

It's probably the most expensive element of the sports chrono package yet everyone talks about sport+ mode as if that's all you are getting. You may not use sport+ all the time, or the clock, or launch control, or the track mode mapper but you will use the mounts 100% of the time.

·
Registered
2016 981 Spyder, 2013 Cayenne S, 2012 Cayenne Turbo, 2009 911 Turbo Cabriolet, 2001 911 Cabriolet
17 Posts
What was the cost of the Sport Chrono upgrade? What had to be changed in addition to transmission mounts, wiring, clock, etc.? Is there a "Porsche SC Kit," available?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
What was the cost of the Sport Chrono upgrade? What had to be changed in addition to transmission mounts, wiring, clock, etc.? Is there a "Porsche SC Kit," available?
No aftermarket SC add on for the 981. I had my dealer confirm this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't find SC useful, unless you're competing or driving on track (which I do). In normal driving, normal/manual does just fine. If you're letting it change gear for you, sport+ is pretty useless, sport is a reasonably good program for that. In theory the changes get more abrupt as you go sport-sport+, but I can't say I notice, I'd be happy with more comfort for day to day driving.

Launch control is not very useful, and you can get much the same effect by just holding it on the handbrake and stomping on the gas. Launch control is difficult to use effectively, and I'd be surprised if anyone had the patience to actually abuse launch control.

You also get the dynamic transmission mounts with SC, but I've never noticed them making any difference.
Disagree, I use sport + daily. It really brings the car to life IMO. Shifts hard and feels like it propels you forward. Love it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Disagree, I use sport + daily. It really brings the car to life IMO. Shifts hard and feels like it propels you forward. Love it.
Actually, you're right, I'd never actually tried driving normally with sport+. So I did, it's horrible, I'll skip it unless I actually need to go fast.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like Sport+ with PDK manual shifting too. It "kicks you in the back" when shifting with WOT :) It is one of the best emotional features of 981 together with the engine sound IMO.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wouldn’t buy one without it personally. One thing I haven’t seen anyone notice but I believe is a big feature is the increased throttle response in SP+. That coupled with the dynamic engine mounts and much much harder shifting makes it a no brainer for me. I would not drive it in auto mode in sports plus unless you are on a track. Manual mode however is a different story.

·
Registered
200 Posts
dynamic transmission mount, just had to replace one yesterday, € 1500, be sure you want that too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
How much is that in US dollars and how many mounts are there? How did you know it failed, is there a fault code for that?

This is why I am going to go back to an ND Miata. So simple, light and fun. I love my 981 and would keep it forever if it weren’t for all the complex crap that will just keep needing attention and dollars over the years. Really kills the passion for me with Porsche.

·
Registered
200 Posts
PADM error on the dasboard

then used my icarsoft reader to see which one

then found out the part price €1050 per mount no VAT, then decided to let my dealer handle it, with diagnose and VAT approx € 1500

(there are 2 transmission mounts, only my left was broken), but only SportChrono 981 have transmission mount, regulars mount are cheap)

€1500 equals $1700
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 52 of 52 Posts