Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a used Cayman. From lurking around here, it seems that, if the budget permits, the improvements that came with the 2009 Cayman are worthwhile. I also get the impression that the base Cayman is more than sufficient for the street.

In terms of options, you kind of get what you get with a used car, but one with the following options would be the ones I would look for: PASM, LSD, Sports chrono, TPMS and Xenon lights. Anything beyond this would be icing on the cake so to speak. PDK is not on the list because autoboxes of any variety is a matter of personal preference. I am not stuck in traffic enough to justify PDK and I consider shifting part of the sports car experience even if PDK can do the job better than I can. I would think a car so optioned would not be that difficult to find.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Welcome, My First question back to you is what will you be using it for. (i.e. track,autox,dd). Once you lets us know. I'm sure you will start to get feed back and will be more confused

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree that the 09 is a good choice....and that the reg 09 is sufficient for most folks on the road...much nicer in my opinion...I replaced an 07 CS...for options...Xinon great, short shifter...but you can add that later...for me since I use it as daily driver...PCM 3.0 was important particular since Porsche kinda of made to CDR 30 version of BT/iphone toothless...I have power seats...but once set for me not used much...I do like the auto AC...keeps cabin more comfortable than playing with the settings...in cold climate...heated seat are very nice...one option I thought I would miss from the prior one was auto side mirror dimming/rain sensor...but really don't miss much....18" wheels are nice...I would always avoid the 19" since they stiffen the ride too much...it would have been nice to have LSD....just my thoughts...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sidestepping the question for a moment, as someone who's looking too, good luck to you finding used 09s or newer for sale. It's a very small number, most are more $$ than a new "low options" car and therefore I doubt you will find exactly the options you want anyway, given the small sample ! ;-)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome. The use would be as a quasi daily driver with no track use at all. We have a beater car that we take to the Metro (Washington, DC area mass transit).

This would be my weekend car for going to the golf course, running weekend errands (with or without the wife), etc. I just want something with some degree of practicality (ie storage space) that is FUN to drive. There is no room in my life for a garage queen that only comes out when I have to time drive it just for the sake of driving. The car has to provide driving pleasure while running arround attending to life's needs.

The options listed are in part from lurking around here and from personal experience. PASM, Sports Chrono and LSD seem to be favorites here. TPMS, is a personal preference once I saw that it is a real system, not a stupid idiot light like I have now. I also have xenons now and like them.

There are other options which may make a car attractive for my wife. She likes things like leather and power seats. Leather does give a richer feel to most cars and both our cars have leather seats right now. Power seats just don't impress me since I will be driving the car and I will set it once and forget about it, but again, both cars have power seats right now. I don't have to sell the car to her, but I do have to listen to her comments/complaints about the car. You married men out there understand what I'm saying.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
IMO your 'must-have' options list could be smaller. For a non-track-use daily driver, PASM and LSD are not necessary. Sport chrono, while nice, would also not necessarily be a must-have; it depends on your driving habits.

I believe TPMS is standard on 09+ cars, so that isn't an issue. Out of your list, I'd say only Bi-Xenons are the only option to require - unless you don't drive at night.

·
Registered
46 Posts
IMO your 'must-have' options list could be smaller. For a non-track-use daily driver, PASM and LSD are not necessary. Sport chrono, while nice, would also not necessarily be a must-have; it depends on your driving habits.

I believe TPMS is standard on 09+ cars, so that isn't an issue. Out of your list, I'd say only Bi-Xenons are the only option to require - unless you don't drive at night.
I agree 100%. Just don't go to 19" wheels and no PASM. Also, if golf is important to you please check and make sure your 2 club bags fit in the back. I have seen several posts on other forums about big bags not fitting in a Cayman.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all. Limiting my must have to xenon and maybe sport chrono makes life much easier. Nice to know TPMS is now standard as it should be on a car like this

·
Registered
445 Posts
I gotta say the option that gets the most "wow I really wish my car had that" responses are the illuminated aluminum door sills. They are pricey like every darn option, but they really are cool. The night time wow factor is pretty big.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts

IMO, Interpol is right on with his advice. When I was shopping for a CS I found a number of new and used 09 cars with options that I did not want, like Parking senors, power seats, 19" wheels, NAV, PDK and so on. I wound up odering a 2010 exactly the way I wanted it and did not wind up paying an extra 10K for options that I would not have on any sports car that I owned. Just something else to think about. If you decide to order a 2011, you will have plenty of time to save some additional money as you will have to wait 5 or 6 months for delivery. God luck!

·
Registered
242 Posts
TPMS is standard on 2007 and newer. It was optional (I think) in 2006. I would recommend this feature, as it's hard to tell from causal visual inspection that tires have lost a few PSI (in my case, due to a nail in the tire).

LSD is only available from 2009 and newer. Power slides and other "show of speed" maneuvers are illegal on public roads in California (and probably every other state, too). So, LSD seems like it is mostly for track use. Porsche's traction control works quite well in spirited but at least semi-legal driving maneuvers.

PASM is popular with people who lower their cars, get the 19-inch wheels, or go to the track regularly. It sounds like you intend to do none of those things.

Sports Chrono gives you an ugly or cute (take your pick) blob on the dash. It changes shift patterns in the automatics. But if you are getting a stick, then the main daily-driver effect will be to make the accelerator pedal more sensitive during the first part of its motion. You can get the same feature if you order a software flash from 3rd parties.

In the USA, all but the most expensive of the sports seats are leather.

You'll find that xenon lights are a very common feature. When shopping (new and used) I don't think I came across a single CS that didn't have xenon. I didn't look at any non-S cars. (This was in 2008 before the 2.9L engine.)

I suspect that the 2009 leftovers are starting to get discounted. The 2.9L engine is quite strong, so a 2.9L might make the perfect daily driver. I recently bought a new 2008 CS for $48k, but if I could get a new 2.9L for $44k I'd have to really think carefully. If you shop for new cars, you might expand your horizon to any car in the USA and just pay to have it shipped. I bought my car sight unseen and had it shipped 2000 miles on a truck.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I recently purchased a 2007 Cayman S, and can comments on some of the options.

I have no PASM, and 19" wheels, driving on some of the worst roads in the U.S. (San Francisco bay area). The ride IS stiff and rather unyielding. 18s recommended, or smooth roads, or PASM. I am OK with my setup, but sure would not want it any stiffer.

I have Sports Chrono. The stopwatch on the dash does not bother me. Hardly ever use the option, but when on, it is fun, with the engine feeling notably more powerful and responsive. A bit much in traffic.

TPMS was an option I think in 2006 and standard beginning 2007. I like this feature quite a bit.

I have Xenons, not as bright as I thought, but good to have and recommended.

I drove the Gen I 2.7 and 3.4, and the Gen II 2.9. The 2.9 is fine. Even the 2.7 as a daily driver is OK. The S is plenty powerful of course, and louder. The Gen II car was nice, but did not see it as remarkably better than the previous generation. I guess I am saying I did not see anything so compelling about the Gen II model that would persuade me to spend several thousand more, at the minimum, to own it.

- Phil

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The range of models I am looking at in the used market is 2007-08 Cayman S (manual) and 2009 base Cayman (manual or PDK, but prefer manual). I hate all the buttons on the radio in the 2007-08 Caymans; the radio makes the interior look dated, IMHO. But I'm sure there are aftermarket remedies for that. I also prefer a car where there is something left on the orginal warranty or it is CPO just for peace of mind.

One of the things that I'm trying to get comfortable with is the storage space in the Cayman. It may be generous for a sports car, but that is faint praise. I've read several threads on getting club into the car and plan on bringing my clubs to a dealership to see just how tight it is with a cart bag.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
The range of models I am looking at in the used market is 2007-08 Cayman S (manual) and 2009 base Cayman (manual or PDK, but prefer manual). I hate all the buttons on the radio in the 2007-08 Caymans; the radio makes the interior look dated, IMHO. But I'm sure there are aftermarket remedies for that. I also prefer a car where there is something left on the orginal warranty or it is CPO just for peace of mind.
If you plan on going aftermarket for audio then you should probably try to find a car without the Bose system installed. The Bose has a proprietary fiber optic bus that most aftermarket installers find difficult to work with. It's not impossible, but much more hassle. Also, you'll save some money going non-Bose.

One of the things that I'm trying to get comfortable with is the storage space in the Cayman. It may be generous for a sports car, but that is faint praise. I've read several threads on getting club into the car and plan on bringing my clubs to a dealership to see just how tight it is with a cart bag.
A cart bag is going to be a real stretch. I have no problem fitting 2 stand bags in the back, with 14 clubs in each. The problem you will have with a cart bag is that it may be too large to close the trunk. You may have to put it in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I eye balled the rear compartment and it looked way too shallow for a cart bag. There is usually room for the bag to ride "shot gun," but it would be nice to have space in the rear compartment. Getting the Cayman would probably make me switch to a carry bag.

As for my wife, one of the benefits of a stick is that my wife can't drive a stick. Even if I got PDK, it would be a rare instance that she would ever drive the car; she hates to drive and prefers the high sitting postion of our SUV when she does drive. My wife's issues are pretty superficial. She likes Porsche only because she likes premium European name plates (like BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc). She will only care about the car having a luxury feel to it which means I will probably get one with leather. She would also prefer the more up to date look of the '09 radio/AC controls. Beyond that, she will not care and wouldn't even want to ride in the car before I buy it. She has no interest in the car selection process.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have both a walking bag and a very large pro type bag. They will both fit in the back if you take the driver and woods out of the bag, and then lay the longer clubs diagonally across the back and under the tie-down net.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
I have both a walking bag and a very large pro type bag. They will both fit in the back if you take the driver and woods out of the bag, and then lay the longer clubs diagonally across the back and under the tie-down net.
This is right. Two walking bags fit in the trunk. I think there are pictures around here someplace showing that being done.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.