Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does a guide exist on this website about what to look for when buying a used Cayman? I have poked around and can't find anything. Want to know what signs I can look for showing problems or hard driving.

Also, is there any way of checking for over-revs other than the dealer? I found an attractive Cayman, but the options it has clearly show the previous owner was performance oriented, calling into question how it may have been driven. Perhaps a DME over-rev check first at the dealer, and if OK, then a full pre-purchase inspection?

- Phil

·
Registered
210 Posts
Check the FAQ Planet-9 - FAQ: Questions & Answers

After reading a lot of your posts I think you just need to wait until the new 2009's that weren't demos get into your price range or save up and order one from the factory. I think what you're saying when you say "driven hard" is actually "driven poorly". Someone experienced could track the car every weekend and never miss a shift and someone else could kill the clutch using it as a grocery getter. That said, I saw a CS with a roll cage and I immediately disqualified it from my search.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Understood on driving "hard" vs "poorly". My current car (BMW M3) needs major repair, and once done, still do not trust it, hence the need to replace it with a Cayman sooner than later. I can afford more than I am willing to spend, which rules out ordering a new car or most Gen II cars that I can find. Since I am in a time crunch, this means finding a Gen I car, or the loaner/demo 2009.

My most recent discovery looks promising for $40k. A 2007 Cayman S, with Sport chrono, sport exhaust, leather two tone (black/grey), Xenons, auto climate, self dim mirrors and rain sensor, heated seats, Bose, 19" Carrera S wheels. And well under 10k miles. I think it has full leather, and a few other minor options. I see it tonight.

Thanks for the directions to the FAQs on buying a used Cayman.

- Phil

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not even own a Cayman yet (hoping I will tomorrow if car checks out), but I am willing to assist in whatever capacity I am able. Perhaps my current non-owner status or early owner status (hopefully) is premature, but my very recent efforts to find and identify a good car have taught me a fair amount, information that perhaps could be passed along to other Cayman buyers.

- Phil

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm a new (3 weeks Friday) Cayman S owner and had researched and shopped for my eventual buy for over a year. I blogged about it and think I have accumulated enough shopping experience to share it. I'd like to see something here to help the new potential P-car owners. Everything from differences in model generations to known or fairly common issues with certain years or cars. The things to look for and the things to look out for. I can share negotiation techniques and hopefully save a member here some serious money. I still track the best prices on various P models and wouldn't mind posting some examples of the deals available out there.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
My most recent discovery looks promising for $40k. A 2007 Cayman S, with Sport chrono, sport exhaust, leather two tone (black/grey), Xenons, auto climate, self dim mirrors and rain sensor, heated seats, Bose, 19" Carrera S wheels. And well under 10k miles. I think it has full leather, and a few other minor options. I see it tonight.

- Phil

Very decent spec. Hope it's what you're looking for.

·
Registered
226 Posts
FYI, issue 187 of 911 & Porsche World magazine has a used Cayman buyers' guide. It's a UK magazine, but the info is just as useful as in the US. The cover story is "Ruf Stuff" with the red Ruf RT12S if you're looking for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The direction to the FAQ should help, but if people are interested here we could put together a team to crank out a "guide" I would think, do any members want to assist with such a project?
I'm interested, but I think I'm the only one. Planning to buy a used CS (hopefully an 09 if I can find a good one) either late this year or early next year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Phil: Congrats. Where do you live? I'm in San Diego - would dig seeing what you found.

K-Man S - I'm interested in your guide as well. Perhaps you can develop it in a Wiki where others could add and modify as needed?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good luck finding an 09 exactly like you want as....they sold 40% less caymans than the year before and selling less this year....there are not going to be very many to chose from.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Phil: Congrats. Where do you live? I'm in San Diego - would dig seeing what you found.
I am in the eastern portion of the San Francisco bay area. I will post pics as soon as the weather clears (Sunday).

- Phil

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
>>>>I'm interested, but I think I'm the only one.

You are not the only one. I haven't ruled out new but, given my intended use, I'm looking at some used ones as well. There are a number of low miles (like less than 2,000) 2008 and 2009's selling for really attractive prices.

I'm aware there aren't many . . . the good news is I only need one.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Understood on driving "hard" vs "poorly". My current car (BMW M3) needs major repair, and once done, still do not trust it, hence the need to replace it with a Cayman sooner than later. I can afford more than I am willing to spend, which rules out ordering a new car or most Gen II cars that I can find. Since I am in a time crunch, this means finding a Gen I car, or the loaner/demo 2009.

- Phil
Phil:

I see a very lightly used white '09 CS in the classifieds from Park Place. I think the price is very good and so is the equipment. I love my '06, but if I were buying again, I'd get a Gen II. The engine feels much stronger, the suspension is less harsh and the car itself is much more bulletproof for track use. Worth the extra scratch for a good used one. That's my take anyway.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I purchased a Cayman S this past Wednesday. I just put up a post with pics and commentary. Thank you for looking out for cars that may have fit my needs.

- Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
So have you gents decided to create such an animal?

I would simply appreciate any help on identifying the key items to watch out for when considering a G1 987. That could be in the form of this thread through the contributions of you learned folks.

I am coming from 944/968 land getting ready to work my way into the 21st century and would most definately appreciate the help. This looks to be the definative 987 site so I am really glad to have found you all.

Thanks

Joe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts