Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. How much do used car dealers budge % wise for caymans on price (roughly speaking), it seems very little (probably lack of quality supply)?

2. My budget is 25K, for this it seems I am looking at Cayman S, 2006, PCM, 38-45K on the clock in very good condition. Does that seem right?

3. How concerned should I be with millage with Porsche Cayman i.e. at what point should I think twice?

Appreciate the assistance. First time porsche buyer.

JK

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
I've moved this to the UK forum it should help you get the answer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't think high miles are a problem in them self just in this country we are a bit obsessed with mileage. When I was looking for mine I was told by several OPC's (official porsche centres) that average miles for a porsche are 8k in the first year followed by 6k a year after that. Anything above that mileage is considered high and they will refect that in the trade and retail price.

This was two years ago when I was looking to buy mine it could have all changed now with a general lack of new car sales and fewer px's coming onto the market.

John

·
Registered
15 Posts
I paid £28,995 for my 06 CS last December, although the car is mint and my perfect spec, midnight blue, full leather, sports steering wheel, PCM, 19 Carrera S alloys, xennon lights,heated seats, 32k on the clock. Dealer (Cridfords, Surrey) wouldn't budge on the price but I just had to have the car!

Happy hunting !

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got £5k off the asking price when I bought my CS in 08 without too much problem but it was only a three month old ex-demo then.

Higher mileage = greater potential cost when the warranty expires. My mates last Porsche died on him at 50k (he drove it hard) water pumps, belts all gave up. Go for the lowest mileage you can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
JK

Main dealers don't tend to budge much - I live in Chester but had to travel to Colchester to get the car and the deal I wanted.

Depends on the mileage you do, but I would look to get a 2006 under 40k miles.

Buyers do seem to be mileage obsessed in the UK and dealers push this. You will need to go a bit higher than £25k for a decently specced CS - and it's worth it!

Neil

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The mileage in itself isn't a problem as long as you are aware of it. Having had some remedial work done on my 59k mile car recently, I would suggest that if you want piece of mind, find a lower mileage car.

I recently had my suspension stripped down, and the condition of some of the components that came off the car was quite shocking (no pun intended!). Plus, to get the car back into A1 condition I have had a new clutch, new gear linkage cables, needed a new Catalytic converter and some other bits and bobs. Basically the bills have come to about £4k over the last 4 months to get the car back to A1 condition. In fairness some things are now better than they have ever been, like the suspension and the gearchange, so not really like-for-like :)

But then most of the things I have changed, you would probably never know about if you just got into my car and drove it. It felt more than fine. But having had the car for do many miles and years, it was becoming obvious to me that parts were starting to wear and loosen up. I plan on keeping the car and seeing if I can get it to 100k miles, so thought it wise to get rid of some of the slack now, while I can.

If I were you I would take any car you are looking at and spend the money on a REAL pre-purchase inspection from an Indy. I have heard some horror stories of these not being done right. I don't know where you are in the country, but if you are near the Nort West I could recommend someone who would make sure the job is done right.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the responses so far..

Have found a decent example with 37K on the clock. Assuming I drive for 3 years and bring this to say 50K what sort of price depreciation would I expect (all things being equal).

Appreciate its bit of a pie-in-the-sky question but just after a rough idea?

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
thanks for the responses so far..

Have found a decent example with 37K on the clock. Assuming I drive for 3 years and bring this to say 50K what sort of price depreciation would I expect (all things being equal).

Appreciate its bit of a pie-in-the-sky question but just after a rough idea?

Thanks
what year is it and what is the spec, is it the silver one at Gridfords ?

John

·
Registered
37 Posts
hi john - very similar! i.e. 2006, S, PASM, but with PCM (although I think TomTom would be a lot better but still I imagine this has some value)
Well I left the trade a long time ago so I am a bit rusty on values ect ,but lets say the trade price of the car today is around £22/£23k mark. Then a seven year old car with 50k on the clock could be worth £15/16 in three years time if you were lucky.

There may be people on here with a better idea's as to whats going on in the trade than me, the other thing to consider is in three years time petrol may be £1.60 a litre and road tax a £1k a year with all the green issues ect may be difficult to sell in that market.

Still life is way to short to worry about those things, sounds a good spec get the car bought :)

ps I have pasm with 19's the ride is firm but then it is a sports car ;) and 19's look much better IMHO.

John

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Struggling a bit on getting a fair value partly due to supply and also how dealers look at different options. Take for example this 2007 Cayman S (Latest Used Cars For Sale in Cobham - WCS Surrey)

The dealer is asking 30K the whatcar price is around the 28K mark so thinking £29K would be reasonable?

Trying to keep a level head in all this as I am pretty eager to join the club!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.