Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched far and wide for a Porsche Cayman that met a set of criteria such as: 987.2 or newer; PDK; Sport Plus; Blk ext; Black or Dark Grey int; Less than 50k miles; Less than $35K. At the time I lived in the Seattle area and the only car I found was on the east coast. So I had it shipped before final purchase. Shipping was non-refundable.

Even though it is a base model, the car is simply an amazing driving experience.

I decided to poke around at potential power upgrades. As with my E39 BMW 530i, on average, it costs about $90-$110 (each) per horsepower gained. Therefore I kept realistic expectations.

I called a local shop in Fremont CA and made an appointment. I went with the V-Flow intake coupled with the EVOMs tune for about $1300. Based on my butt-dyno, I do feel the slight gain. If I had to guess, I'd call it 15 hp. It could be a bit more or a bit less. Whatever the case it is noticeable. Also, the sound is slightly deeper when she opens up.

Was it worth it? For me the answer is yes. However, this is very subjective.

Prior to this, additional upgrades include: HID Headlamps (major improvement); Pioneer AVIC 8201 (major improvement); Ceramic Pro with paint correction (major improvement); Window Tint; and a few, minor, exterior cosmetics.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I searched far and wide for a Porsche Cayman that met a set of criteria such as: 987.2 or newer; PDK; Sport Plus; Blk ext; Black or Dark Grey int; Less than 50k miles; Less than $35K. At the time I lived in the Seattle area and the only car I found was on the east coast. So I had it shipped before final purchase. Shipping was non-refundable.

Even though it is a base model, the car is simply an amazing driving experience.

I decided to poke around at potential power upgrades. As with my E39 BMW 530i, on average, it costs about $90-$110 (each) per horsepower gained. Therefore I kept realistic expectations.

I called a local shop in Fremont CA and made an appointment. I went with the V-Flow intake coupled with the EVOMs tune for about $1300. Based on my butt-dyno, I do feel the slight gain. If I had to guess, I'd call it 15 hp. It could be a bit more or a bit less. Whatever the case it is noticeable. Also, the sound is slightly deeper when she opens up.

Was it worth it? For me the answer is yes. However, this is very subjective.

Prior to this, additional upgrades include: HID Headlamps (major improvement); Pioneer AVIC 8201 (major improvement); Ceramic Pro with paint correction (major improvement); Window Tint; and a few, minor, exterior cosmetics.
Rehashing this.

How are you finding the V-flow filter so far?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Well I would say, 15hp very optimistic, more like 3-5 hp at best. However, it does add a throaty sound through the GT3 throttle body. Just needs to be cleaned every 6 months or so.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well I would say, 15hp very optimistic, more like 3-5 hp at best. However, it does add a throaty sound through the GT3 throttle body. Just needs to be cleaned every 6 months or so.
Hey Apex, the Evoms V-Flow, when you say it needs to be cleaned every 6 months... is that your personal practice regime or will an annual cleaning be ok? I ask as if I do try this, I only get my filter cleaned annually with my servicing which I don't DIY. Thanks.

·
Registered
880 Posts
What I found is one episode of oil ingestion during a long slalom run that brought oil through the AOS and actually coated the inside of the air filter. I had to clean all of the intake system including the AMF. My use is a 987.1 S 2007, so oil ingestion may not be a problem on 987.2 base. I believe the 987.2 AOS is a different design. I had to fit the Porsche Motor Sports AOS to cure this issue.

·
Registered
317 Posts
What I found is one episode of oil ingestion during a long slalom run that brought oil through the AOS and actually coated the inside of the air filter. I had to clean all of the intake system including the AMF. My use is a 987.1 S 2007, so oil ingestion may not be a problem on 987.2 base. I believe the 987.2 AOS is a different design. I had to fit the Porsche Motor Sports AOS to cure this issue.
Thanks for the info o the AOS difference. Do you know anything about Schnell. Just wondering how schnell is getting away with a near copy of the Evoms V-Flow with Evoms staying so quiet for such a long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts