Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone considered mounting the detecter between the seats on the shielf and have the display placed in the rear view mirror?

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
I seem to recall a couple of years ago that someone had an idea to mount a detector on the luggage bar - but I don't recall if it ever came to fruition.

Seems like you could fairly easily mount the remote display in the cubby at the bottom of the console and hide the wires along the bottom of the center console. Let us know if you try it . . .

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ive considered trying to mount mine to the roof directly above the luggage bar. This car doesn't led itself well to stealthy installs but I think there it may be pretty much out of the way.

If you do that you have to have the remote display and probably the remote audio to control the loudness.

My only concern with either place are the items that block the path. Luggage rack install - too low and dash may obstruct the signals. Center roof - maybe too high or maybe the mirror interrupts the signals.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ive considered trying to mount mine to the roof directly above the luggage bar. This car doesn't led itself well to stealthy installs but I think there it may be pretty much out of the way.

If you do that you have to have the remote display and probably the remote audio to control the loudness.

My only concern with either place are the items that block the path. Luggage rack install - too low and dash may obstruct the signals. Center roof - maybe too high or maybe the mirror interrupts the signals.
That's right. Locations other than the windsheild area of these cars will reduce the radar/laser signals coming in. I found some good false alarms (door openers, neon signs) and sat a couple of hundred feet away, moving my detector around the cabin. Came away disappointed and limited to windsheild area.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be interested in pictures also. I just hard wired mine and placed it to the right of the RVM. It is high and not easy to see from the outside.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I tested it on the windshield for a week before i set it up in the middle and the sensitivity seems to be the same. Picks up same false alarms at same distance and nails cops as well too. plus it doesnt make sense that it would lose sensitivity since the rear radar detector is always far from the rear of the car when mounted on the windshield.

Hid the wires in the trim and had it hardwired. I think it look "ok" not great or professional install but it does the trick.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I tested it on the windshield for a week before i set it up in the middle and the sensitivity seems to be the same. Picks up same false alarms at same distance and nails cops as well too. plus it doesnt make sense that it would lose sensitivity since the rear radar detector is always far from the rear of the car when mounted on the windshield.

Hid the wires in the trim and had it hardwired. I think it look "ok" not great or professional install but it does the trick.
As above, I sat stationary, about 200' from a front source, and moved my V1 around my cabin, noting signal strength. Signal strength definitely dropped off as I moved away from my current high windshield-mounted location. My guess is it has something to do with the sheet-metal roof/cabin. I came away dissappointed. Rear signal may well improve - but I was only studying the front signal, as most threats come from there. I'm sure it will still work where you have it - and I like the remote display.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I mount mine low on the windshield, just behind the sport chrono clock. It seems to work just fine there. Only ticket I've gotten was the day I forgot to turn it on:(

In my Lexus, I had it hardwired behind the rearview mirror with the concealed display mounted on top of the steering column. It works great in this location (w/ both front and rear detection) and cannot be seen from behind.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I think it look "ok" not great or professional install
Really....:hilarious:

Why do you want it on that (what appears to be a) block anyway? That thing sticks out like a sore thumb to vandals and cops. The remote display looks perilously attached to the steering wheel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Industrial Velcro holds it in place really well even during hard stops and sharp turns. It sits on the block because otherwise it doesnt get a clear view of the front windshield or rear windshield which definitely decreases sensitivity.
Like i mentioned before the sensitivity is good enough from my experience in this location. If I get any tickets I'll let you know.

Since the main V1 unit doesnt light up when connected to concealed display unit it hard to see at night and during the day from the driver or passenger window. Only if you are up standing directly behind car can you see it well.

As far as the concealed unit, the mounting is also velcro, holds great and the only wire visible is what you see in the pic.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I were going to mount it in the back I think I would have placed it on the bar with some kind of bracket. Than have the display in the mirror. I just placed mine on the windshield next to the RVM.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I also have my V1 mounted to the right of the RVM, with the wire tucked into the headliner, and hardwired into the fuse compartment by the driver side footwell. I keep the remote on the steering column.

Has anyone tried the following radar mount for their V1:

The Radar Mount for the Valentine Radar Detector

If so, which model works with the Cayman and the V1?

·
Registered
25 Posts
If I were going to mount it in the back I think I would have placed it on the bar with some kind of bracket. Than have the display in the mirror. I just placed mine on the windshield next to the RVM.
If mounted on the bar the v1 doesn't have clear view of rear window. It will sit to low.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts