Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 CS. I have been tossing around the idea of a turbo. I am still under warranty and I am probably going to wait out the CPO period. After that I will consider the turbo or an '09 PDK. I am told that a modification of this kind will decrease the value of the CS. I know the P dealers will not want the car.

Does anyone have an idea of how a major mod like this will affect the value of the CS? Has anyone sold or purchased a turbo CS?

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I am told that a modification of this kind will decrease the value of the CS. I know the P dealers will not want the car. Does anyone have an idea of how a major mod like this will affect the value of the CS? Has anyone sold or purchased a turbo CS?
As per my info nobody sold his 987t yet. But IMO you are 100% correct. I knew when I went after the turbo kit the negative impact it will have -like all hardcore mods- on the value of my car.

That's why unless TPC get their name globally fashionably branded and recognized like RUF, Gemballa, TechArt, Hamann -which is what I've been asking for in my thread http://www.planet-9.com/tpc-racing-general-forum/44776-lets-talk-business-mr-levitas.html- our cars will drop sharply in terms of value. Simply because to the public the name TPC doesn't ring a bell or trigger any emotions like the rest who could come 2nd to TPC in terms of performance.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
+1

Yep, but I would also add that, generally speaking, people shopping for a Porsche (or any other sports car for that matter) are probably looking for a car that is stock (low mileage, garage queen etc). That way they start off with a clean slate and can customize it the way they want. That is based on people that I have talked with.

I think the biggest problem with adding a turbo is its reliability (nothing against Mike and TPC). Unfortunately, the cayman, much less a turbo cayman, hasn't been around long enough to determine its reliability and as a buyer, if I'm going to plop down this amount of money, I want to know the car will last me a while.

Now, if you're intention is to keep the car for a long time, then I think the impact would be less. In other words, the longer you keep the car, I believe, the lesser the impact (but still an impact). :)

Good luck!
-Moto

As per my info nobody sold his 987t yet. But IMO you are 100% correct. I knew when I went after the turbo kit the negative impact it will have -like all hardcore mods- on the value of my car.

That's why unless TPC get their name globally fashionably branded and recognized like RUF, Gemballa, TechArt, Hamann -which is what I've been asking for in my thread http://www.planet-9.com/tpc-racing-general-forum/44776-lets-talk-business-mr-levitas.html- our cars will drop sharply in terms of value. Simply because to the public the name TPC doesn't ring a bell or trigger any emotions like the rest who could come 2nd to TPC in terms of performance.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Speaking from a UK point of view such modifications would kill the value of your car. A RUF conversion would be a different matter but used buyers get nervous with serious mods in this country and the fact that Gemballa has just got belly up in very suspicious circumstances I think they are quite right. TPC does not have a reputation in the UK.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Gemballa just went belly up btw.
Sadly I heard about what happened with Gemballa. They had the best taste and style among the rest.

but used buyers get nervous with serious mods in this country and the fact that Gemballa has just got belly up in very suspicious circumstances I think they are quite right.
If I could afford a Gemballa back when I bought my car or right now I'd buy one... simple as that! It's still a Porsche in the end, and Porsche Service Centers would never say no!

A Service Manager of Porsche (not in KSA) mentioned to me that they accept cars modified by other companies and get them fixed and serviced even if the problem was because of the mods. They'd even go further and contact the mods company to work with them on the repair if needed. And when I asked why would they do that, his answer was "They are still Porsches to begin with. And the owners are still my customers!"

True, most shoppers go after new, CPO or used Porsches. But there are those who would go after the icons in the modification market.

As for the local market here in KSA, they only go after brand new Porsches. A non-CPO used Porsche is worth less than its weight as scrap metal !

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I think the answer is a bit different. Value goes up! Well it must or else NO one would pay $10K+ for a turbo kit. Value to the person having it installed is there. It is possible to find another like minded person who will see and pay for the value. The challenge is that by modifying you shrink your market greatly, and finding a buyer who is willing to pay a premium for a Turbo Cayman will be hard. I also agree that branding would help. Dinan cars often sell at least in US at premium. Actually many B5 Audi S4s modified with larger turbos also do.

·
Registered
178 Posts
DEPENDS. A modified car will have a much smaller pool of buyers who can value/appreciate the mods. In that sense, you MAY be able to recoup SOME of your investment but I would think it would be silly to expect all.

Most buyers of used Caymans would most likely be looking for cheap access into Porsche. Lets face it these cars aren't keeping value and are not truely an exotic in that sense so the are a target for anyone who can't afford new and want it. (IMO)

That said - I'll tell you how I am justifying a turbo or mods. THere is a value for duration. You sell your car you will be losing money one way or another (tax on new car, reduced value, etc). If you are buying a new car because you want something faster, what is the investment cost of the new car versus the total costs/loss of the turbo? I'm certain if you like most all other aspects of the car you will find the turbo to be cheaper.

Unless you care about having the most recent version or are concerned overall about durability, mod away and enjoy it. Otherwise you will always be waiting to do what you want to do.

·
Registered
221 Posts
When I'm looking at the ads in Autotrader and Cars.com, I stop looking at that car when there's any mention of a performance modification. Cosmetic mods, if good looking, I'll look at; but performance mod is a big no. No other reason than its a red flag that the owner drives his car hard. This might be a wrong impression, but I don't want to take a chance with my hard earned savings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I'm looking at the ads in Autotrader and Cars.com, I stop looking at that car when there's any mention of a performance modification. Cosmetic mods, if good looking, I'll look at; but performance mod is a big no. No other reason than its a red flag that the owner drives his car hard. This might be a wrong impression, but I don't want to take a chance with my hard earned savings.
+1 on passing on listings w/ any mods, coming from a guy who has owned a SC'd Mustang and a Boxster w/ Techart bits among the various modded cars lately. I think we all like to believe (foolishly)that previous owners babied the car, not romp'd around the hilside with it (like we all will do).

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
100% correct! Add to that it would mean the car has been tampered with.

EXCEPT if the car was under the category Gemballa (I know!), TechArt, Hamann or RUF and had body modifications along with the body tuning... then -in my case- I'm sold for I trust these names in their reliable mods and love their body kits.

Guys with 2012 ghost lurking ahead of us our cars will drop high in value and lose its sex appeal. You either dump it before we all get hit with the release of the new model, modify it as above or accept the fact you'll be the ugly duckling and never look in the mirror! :D

Yesterday I was watching the release videos of the Cayenne... and I was saying to myself I hate to be in the shoes of current Cayenne owners because God that hurts!!!

In my case, I took the biggest mod leap -not holding my breath for TPC to become internationally branded or into body kits- and accepting the fact that she'll age and look ugly but hopefully still kick some butt! :burnout:

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Guys with 2012 ghost lurking ahead of us our cars will drop high in value and lose its sex appeal. You either dump it before we all get hit with the release of the new model, modify it as above or accept the fact you'll be the ugly duckling and never look in the mirror! :D

In my case, I took the biggest mod leap -not holding my breath for TPC to become internationally branded or into body kits- and accepting the fact that she'll age and look ugly but hopefully still kick some butt! :burnout:
Honestly I would think that would depend on the 2012 model changes and engine choices. I can still remember the fried egg headlamps on the 996 and thinking what the heck. The standard has been set and Porsche typically evolves their designs so I would wait and see.
What Car? Car of the Year 2006 - Best performance car - Car and Car-Buying News - What Car?

After the Ferrari 355, the new styled Ferraris are kind of ho hum. BMW peaked with their E46 model design and then mangled everything else that came afterwards in my opinion. The 356 is a classic. The original 911 is a classic. The 1967 Alfa Romeo Graduate is a classic.

In my eyes, the 2006 silhouette is almost perfect considering the pedigree from the 550 and 904. Various cosmetic changes in Gen II did not disturb the silhouette. The beauty of the design is so simply elegant and timeless. There had better be some incredibly wonderful changes to the 2012 model's silhouette to make me think otherwise.

Sometimes the mother is actually sexier than the daughter.

·
Registered
368 Posts
In the UK the value would be impacted because of the smaller number of buyers willing to buy modified as i mentioned but UK porsche centres are very wary when it comes to mods and if you try and part-ex a car with mods they will give you virtually nothing for it as they arent allowed to sell it on unless they return it to standard spec. This even includes aftermarkert audio, bluetooth anything which is non-standard porsche.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Always better off buying a faster car. As for value, Porsche's opinion is that after $75,000.00 on a lease you pay 100% with no residual. So if you build a $90K CS you will not get anymore money than the guy without the carbon shifter knob.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I saw a TPC car on eBay a while back, and I recall it was asking several grand more than comparable non-turbo cars. I have no idea if it actually sold, however.

Personally, I live in the Washington DC metro area (near TPC) and will be shopping for a used CS around Jan/Feb of 2011. I would be willing to pay a few grand MORE for a CS with a well-installed TPC turbo system, such as one installed by TPC themselves. This is in no small part because I live close enough to go to them in case anything went wrong with the system.

For folks farther away, I wouldn't doubt that the car would be worth the same or marginally less due to the modifications.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I also would have to agree about the purchase of a mod'ed c.s. or any sports car, for that matter. It is a big red flag. there's no doubt that if a car has a mechanical upgrade or mod, that that owner is looking to go faster and harder than before. And just like everyone else, this would definitely discourage me from putting down that type of money, on a mod'ed c.s. You also have to think that if someone is looking for a porsche that their thinking, "well if the engineer's didn't design it that way, there has to be a reason for it". Even if the reason is to "protect the 911". A non enthusiast would only see "modification", which is whom you would most likely be selling it to. I don't know, I never thought I would be mod'ing my car but, it does become addictive. (the need for speed).

·
Registered
281 Posts
2 years ago, I bought a '06 full-loaded 6speed "launch car" with 8000 miles on the clock. Last summer, just after the car hit 20k miles, my Cayman went through the TPC transformation.

Sitting on 30k miles now, I plan to keep my car until Porsche starts building mid engine GT2/3, or until I can afford a modern Ferrari/Lamborghini. When that happens, the value of my Cayman will be trivial in comparison. I can either keep it as a track toy or make someone a deal and share the great experience of owning such a wonderful machine.

We all know that cars are not "investments," they're money pits. Most of us don't buy cars to turn a profit. You never know what's going to happen years, even months or weeks down the road. If the thrill and excitement is worth it, then stop worrying about what may or may not happen years from now, just do it.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Notquitefob, very well planned... very well said... and very wise of you!

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Well let's see if my car was $65k new, and I added $70k of mods to it, it must be worth $135k ! Then again, since I'm somewhat of a "celebrity" through having this website, that might push the price of my car even higher right? Especially if I autograph it! Let's say an even $150k, who wants to start the bidding??

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Well let's see if my car was $65k new, and I added $70k of mods to it, it must be worth $135k ! Then again, since I'm somewhat of a "celebrity" through having this website, that might push the price of my car even higher right? Especially if I autograph it! Let's say an even $150k, who wants to start the bidding??
Especially coming from Kansas (followed by Oregon) where they have the best drivers based on a recent survey. That has gotta be worth something.

Worst drivers in America by state

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.