Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Any other members here?

VIMC
Not I. I live less than an hour away from the circuit, but I can't justify the ungodly membership and 25 year contract fees which add up to 150k.

I'm sure it'll be a success, but there are just so, SO many amazing driving roads all over the Island, I don't think I'll miss not joining that private club.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We each judge the value according to our circumstances. I like the idea of having up to 240 days a year on the track (depending on my tire budget!). I think I've done most of the good VI roads, with the notable exception of Gold River (I don't know why not), but between the increasing traffic and BC's traffic laws, I prefer the track.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I'll likely check out the facility when I'm there next month...I'm spending a week scoping out property around Victoria for a potential semi-retirement (my wife fully retired; me not at all lol) house build 2-3 years down the road.

My only concerns are: 1) how vibrant a private facility might be compared to a private/public approach - like Badlands Motorsport Park is planned to be. Lapping days on your own get a bit tiresome, and club racing with the same group of drivers isn't the same as running in something like Time Attack or a spec series where there are fresh faces every season. 2) will the membership be representative of a cross-section of the enthusiast community, or because of the cost of entry will it be skewed towards the exotics crowd? I prefer the grassroots track crowd over moneyed folks (for a bunch of reasons). 3) A membership expiring after 25 years (50 years for a founding member according to the website) raises a red flag for me...after they hit membership targets, it should be a going concern based on cash flow from operations. 15 years in (when I'm 75) my membership conceivably won't be worth even initial face value in the resale market. Expiring memberships looks to me like a cash grab, and quite frankly a bit sleazy. And it's not the money...48 grand amortized over 25 years is only 2 grand a year...it's the principle.

At at any rate, would be interested in your view on the track layout and the facilities. Presumably you're running there with your Cayman?

·
Registered
737 Posts
We each judge the value according to our circumstances. I like the idea of having up to 240 days a year on the track (depending on my tire budget!). I think I've done most of the good VI roads, with the notable exception of Gold River (I don't know why not), but between the increasing traffic and BC's traffic laws, I prefer the track.
Far be it for me to tell you how to spend your hard earned coin. I was just answering your question in the initial post. My circumstances have nothing to do with it. I just don't want to spend 150k for 25 years circling around a track that's barely 3km.

I'll likely check out the facility when I'm there next month...I'm spending a week scoping out property around Victoria for a potential semi-retirement (my wife fully retired; me not at all lol) house build 2-3 years down the road.

My only concerns are: 1) how vibrant a private facility might be compared to a private/public approach - like Badlands Motorsport Park is planned to be. Lapping days on your own get a bit tiresome, and club racing with the same group of drivers isn't the same as running in something like Time Attack or a spec series where there are fresh faces every season. 2) will the membership be representative of a cross-section of the enthusiast community, or because of the cost of entry will it be skewed towards the exotics crowd? I prefer the grassroots track crowd over moneyed folks (for a bunch of reasons). 3) A membership expiring after 25 years (50 years for a founding member according to the website) raises a red flag for me...after they hit membership targets, it should be a going concern based on cash flow from operations. 15 years in (when I'm 75) my membership conceivably won't be worth even initial face value in the resale market. Expiring memberships looks to me like a cash grab, and quite frankly a bit sleazy. And it's not the money...48 grand amortized over 25 years is only 2 grand a year...it's the principle.

At at any rate, would be interested in your view on the track layout and the facilities. Presumably you're running there with your Cayman?
Let me know when you both make it out here. Maybe we can meet at a Cars and Coffee?

FYI, it's not 48k over 25 years. It's 48k up front, and another 4k PER year X 25 years as per the membership contract, which equals 148k total.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spectre I just thought your rejection was a little harsh. I'll be out in a couple weeks and need to get to Victoria to have my car 'certified' for the track by the dealer, so we could try to cross paths for coffee assuming that's where you are. PM me with contact details and I'll let you know when I'm out.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Far be it for me to tell you how to spend your hard earned coin. I was just answering your question in the initial post. My circumstances have nothing to do with it. I just don't want to spend 150k for 25 years circling around a track that's barely 3km.

Let me know when you both make it out here. Maybe we can meet at a Cars and Coffee?

FYI, it's not 48k over 25 years. It's 48k up front, and another 4k PER year X 25 years as per the membership contract, which equals 148k total.
Yep, I know. Amortizing the MEMBERSHIP fee over 25 years is only 2k a year...the 4k a year for fees is separate...total $6k a year. In my case, about what I spend on a week-long dive trip for two to the Caribbean or Mexico where total time spent underwater (assuming 2 dives a day x 5 days) is less than 10 hours. The same outlay gets me a year of track time. It's all relative...and depends what's important to you.

I'm out in the Victoria-area in mid-August for a week. I think it's the week of the 14th to the 19th (I need to confirm that; my wife is at a competition in Vancouver on Friday and Saturday, then we're heading Sunday to Victoria). Meeting at a Cars and Coffee would be great.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Spectre I just thought your rejection was a little harsh. I'll be out in a couple weeks and need to get to Victoria to have my car 'certified' for the track by the dealer, so we could try to cross paths for coffee assuming that's where you are. PM me with contact details and I'll let you know when I'm out.
In retrospect, it was harsh, but it was not intended to offend. Sorry about that :). gcurnew's explanation (prev post, and quoted below) puts it in great perspective for younger punk asses like myself. Who knows? Maybe in 10-20 years time a track membership like that might make more financial sense to me. Right now just owning the car (and driving the crap out of it) is enough! :hilarious:

Yep, I know. Amortizing the MEMBERSHIP fee over 25 years is only 2k a year...the 4k a year for fees is separate...total $6k a year. In my case, about what I spend on a week-long dive trip for two to the Caribbean or Mexico where total time spent underwater (assuming 2 dives a day x 5 days) is less than 10 hours. The same outlay gets me a year of track time. It's all relative...and depends what's important to you.

I'm out in the Victoria-area in mid-August for a week. I think it's the week of the 14th to the 19th (I need to confirm that; my wife is at a competition in Vancouver on Friday and Saturday, then we're heading Sunday to Victoria). Meeting at a Cars and Coffee would be great.
I'm likely away mid August 13-18 on a BC B n' B road trip with my wife, but otherwise I'm here. Both of you guys let me know, and schedule permitting, would love to meet up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know it's an older thread, but I've recently had an opportunity to run at VIMC in a lapping event organized by Speed Fanatics, and found the track to be absolutely phenomenal.

Those who have driven or perhaps even only just watched in-car videos will know that the track itself is not particularly big, but the design is 100% world class -- it flows well but is extremely technical. The tight and involving infield, in particular, erases most of the power advantage from the high HP cars. There is really only a single high speed section in its current phase 1 configuration, consisting of the front and back straights connected by two high speed turns where handling balance is still crucial. IMO, the track is perfect for something light and nimble like a Miata, ITR, Elise, etc. Boxsters & Caymans with their inherent balance and agility should also find the track to be extremely entertaining -- 2 of the on-site instructor cars are 981 CS with PDK, so that speaks volumes about the nature of the track.

For me personally, the most enjoyable aspects of the track are the elevation changes combined with a wide variety of banking. They really put the car's handling and the driver's skills to a thorough workout, and it makes for a fun, fun, and FUN experience!

For my low hp car on crappy tires (didn't have a chance to swap my 200TW tires back on before the event), I didn't find the track to be hard on brakes. Obviously this will be different for higher hp cars running on sticker rubber.

If anyone is interested, here is an onboard video of me playing with a fantastically beautiful yellow Cayman GT4 -- it was **FUN**! My driving, on the other hand, wasn't nearly as precise as I would have liked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHdF6DKXFw0

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you seen the Phase 2 design animation? It's going to be much more interesting than the Future Development Track Map would lead you to believe. The long straight will be uphill, and the 'S' curves on the way back are downhill and banked.:banana:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have not seen any of the Phase 2 design, but I have briefly discussed it with one of the staff instructors while I was there at VIMC. From the way you are describing it, it sounds like the Phase 2 track will allow the higher hp cars to stretch their legs more on the way up, and on the way down... Hmm...that just sounds sooooo interesting!

Still, I am quite concerned about the future development of the venue though. Oddly enough, the track is apparently located next to both industrially zoned and residential areas. As you can imagine, the local residents are NOT happy about the noise VIMC is producing. Without turning this thread too political, let's just say both sides are attempting to resolve this at the municipal level. When municipal politics are involved, however, things will inevitably get very messy.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I have been on the track a number of times and can't help but think that it would get old quick, perhaps with the addition of Phase 2 I might change my mind.

What I can't quite digest is the cost, considering the total amount you would spending I could travel to a number of different tracks in the are and get a more varied experience, and this takes into account the cost to travel to Pt. Angeles and down into Oregon as well. The other issue is time, as I am still working I can't even begin to use 240 track days a year, still I enjoy the opportunities that I have had to drive there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Variety is certainly the spice of life. If VIMC is the only track someone has access to, esp on a weekly / bi-weekly basis, I can see how it'd get old too. But for the time being, since I've only been there once, I am really craving to go back again. And if my previous lapping history is any indication, I'd say the amount of it takes before any given track gets old for me is directly proportional to how quickly I feel like I have "mastered" most elements of the track.

As someone living in the Lower Mainland (ie. Metro Vancouver), I totally agree that a trip to the Island for VIMC get quite expensive, both in terms of money and time. The ferry tax and sailing times are not aspects I enjoyed. I'd also say the variety of available tracks within a drive-able distance from Metro Vancouver is reasonably good, and that goes back to the variety bit that was mentioned earlier.

For the variety bit, I am really hoping to try Area 27 even though my current car is far too underpowered for that track. And given how Area 27 has also opened up a number of public days this year, trying it out is no longer an overly difficult proposition.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Interesting, perhaps I am reading the calendar wrong for Area 27, but I don't seem to see 'public' days listed?

I have 4 separate event days now at the VIMC track, yes it has a challenging topography and layout, but in the BGTS it is almost a 2 gear ride, to get any speed you really have to hammer on things at both ends of the short straights, first the throttle and then the brakes. I think a regular flogging of a street car on street tires is going to get very expensive for tires and brakes, and possibly broken parts, but that is the nature of the beast. If I were a member and had the cash I would have a spec Boxster or the like because subjecting my car to that kind of treatment is IMHO a bad idea.

Yes access for regular folks (no car stored at the track and flying in and out by helicopter ;)) will eat up a precious amount of time and money not counting the membership fees, especially expensive if you don't live on the island within driving distance of your home. It is only an hour drive from Victoria, certainly in range for a day trip, but like I mentioned above I would prefer to have a track-specific car if regular trips to the track were my goal.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that the 'public' days at A27 are actually private bookings that are 'sublet' to non-members. At least that's how the one I'm going to is being run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I think that the 'public' days at A27 are actually private bookings that are 'sublet' to non-members. At least that's how the one I'm going to is being run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ahhh, Osoyoos is a bit of a drive from the coast, certainly not going that far without doing some other things, if the wife comes then it will include wineries I am sure! :hilarious:

But no wineries before a drive on the track...

·
Registered
61 Posts
From Metro Vancouver, Osoyoos is about 4.5 hrs drive. From what I've been told, Hwy 3 is quite an entertaining drive, but it is also a stone chips galore... =_="

By comparison, Shelton, WA (ie. Ridge Motorsports Park) is about a 4 hour drive, but you need to cut through Seattle. If you take the ferry, you avoid the Seattle traffic, but it's an extra $10 - $15 for the sailing?

I'd say 4.5 hrs drive is about the furthest that can be done for the track to be considered a easily doable track location. With that travel time, you can still do the whole trip with just a single night of hotel stay, and drive home right after the lapping event. Any further than that, and you pretty much need to spend an extra night at the hotel, and then the trip turns into a 3 day thing -- 1 day to drive and get there, 1 day to do the event, and 1 day to drive back.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
We have a regular contingent that go to the Ridge from the Island, they hop on the Coho and from Pt Angeles the track is less than an hour down the road. I really should see about that one as well, but as convenient as the Coho is, it is a very tight vehicle deck and door digs are a real possibility, oh and car and driver one-way is about $110

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We have a regular contingent that go to the Ridge from the Island, they hop on the Coho and from Pt Angeles the track is less than an hour down the road. I really should see about that one as well, but as convenient as the Coho is, it is a very tight vehicle deck and door digs are a real possibility, oh and car and driver one-way is about $110
Exactly what I'm doing in May. Then A27 in July, Castrol in the summer and VIMC year round. Variety!

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you (and your regular contingent) goes to the Ridge, one organizer to keep in mind is The Speed Syndicate (TSS). They are a speed / service shop based in Metro Vancouver (Burnaby), and they organize events at the Ridge 3 - 4 times a year. They run a good show, and their reg fees tend to be lower than other US-based organizers (Turn2, Hooked on Driving, ProFormance, etc.). Another interesting aspect is they almost always run a bike group in addition to the 2 4-wheeled groups.

The "bad" thing about them is, their events tend to fill up quite quickly, so you have to register early.

More details here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/748482455242714/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts