Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Varex Mufflers

Has anyone had experience with Varex adjustable mufflers? I ran across them the other day on google and they seem to make a pretty awesome product. They're from australia and have lots of praise from the V8 guys.

Most the mufflers run about $350 each and can be controlled via remote for basically a straight pipe, fully muffled sound (Stock), or somewhere in between. What cool about them is that you can open the valve, close it, or open it just a little to get a little more noise, it's full adjustability which is awesome.

Considering I have a buddy who owns a fabrication shop, I'm seriously considering buying some of these bad boys and having my friend connect some pipes to them.

Honestly I'm tired of these exhausts companies trying to charge us all 3.5 THOUSAND dollars for some damn pipes and vacuum valves. It's robbery, honestly

For a catback system it would cost around $1100, the only downside I see right now is that the electronics are run to the 12v socket as standard, I wonder if there's an easy place to hard wire it close by??

I know many of you may think it's 'ricey' or whatever, but honestly...no one cares how shiny your exhaust is, just if it sounds good lol, I'm scared that I'll be the first porsche ginny pig for this product though. I have some thinking to do.

Shitty Rendering I made
Imgur

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
If something goes wrong will that company replace your entire system for free? I know nothing about this firm but another firm that makes an adjustable system is one of our Sponsors - Capristo and while their system costs more, their work is top notch and if something does go wrong their customer service is also top notch. Those things cost real money and are reflected in the price of the system. The saying about you get what you pay for is true in many cases. Let's not forget we aren't driving Chevy Cobalts either, sure they cost less than a Porsche Cayman, both are cars, but they are on different levels.

Please do let us know how this works out, always good to have more suppliers, but please don't knock other exhaust makers simply due to their price without factoring in what all goes into their offerings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I would really do some digging into how it sounds inside the car, particularly, for Caymans. Unless you like drone, our Caymans are pretty vulnerable to this phenomenon. Some are more sensitive than others to this but, heck, I could hear slight drone when I had my Cayman R with PSE!

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Has anyone had experience with Varex adjustable mufflers?
Did you search this website first? Did you find a single person who installed one? How about the other p-car websites? Find anybody?

... Honestly I'm tired of these exhausts companies trying to charge us all 3.5 THOUSAND dollars for some damn pipes and vacuum valves. It's robbery, honestly
And $500 for some red dye for seat belts isn't?

Not trying to be facetious here but serious. If you buy a $75,000 car, then you got to expect correspondingly high bills to maintain it or modify it. If you can't readily find someone who has done a modification, that should send a strong message. The fact the car might be use or time has gone by and its now worth half of less of its original price, doesn't change the prices of maintenance or mods.

Just saying. You might want to rethink this. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't matter whether you drive a cobalt or a Ferrari, pipes and mufflers are pipes and mufflers. The prices are increased because of the caliber of the customer, not the caliber of the car.

Every exhaust made by any performance company will aim to give increased airflow.

The argument that 'because the other companies will replace the entire system if something is wrong' is a decent argument, but is it worth a 1-2 thousand dollar mark-up? I don't think so, I don't appreciate companies making extra money on me 'just because' I drive a Porsche.

Yeah I've tried searching all over for videos of Porsches using these mufflers but sadly can't find anything :/ . If I do this, I Believe I'll be the first... So that's scary.

Of course maintenance costs are higher with a car like this, but that's obvious as to why. But pipes are pipes, so I feel that exhausts should be excluded in these huge markups unless you're getting some crazy custom pieces made

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
It doesn't matter whether you drive a cobalt or a Ferrari, pipes and mufflers are pipes and mufflers. The prices are increased because of the caliber of the customer, not the caliber of the car.

Every exhaust made by any performance company will aim to give increased airflow.

The argument that 'because the other companies will replace the entire system if something is wrong' is a decent argument, but is it worth a 1-2 thousand dollar mark-up? I don't think so, I don't appreciate companies making extra money on me 'just because' I drive a Porsche.

Yeah I've tried searching all over for videos of Porsches using these mufflers but sadly can't find anything :/ . If I do this, I Believe I'll be the first... So that's scary.

Of course maintenance costs are higher with a car like this, but that's obvious as to why. But pipes are pipes, so I feel that exhausts should be excluded in these huge markups unless you're getting some crazy custom pieces made
Yes pipes are pipes, but that's not what you are comparing here.

For example Capristo uses a special heat shield around their vacuum chambers, I haven't seen other manufacturers do this. Capristo also has gone through a couple of different types of vacuum chamber diaphragm materials until they arrived at ones that would last a long time under high heat conditions. I've seen other vacuum diaphragms, including Porsche ones, that have failed within a year or two. In addition to these diaphragms and valves there are also the electronics involved. Capristo provides a custom programmable box that reads information and adjusts the performance parameters for you, or you can create custom "maps" that will open and close based on the conditions you set. Porsche doesn't do this, they give you their setting and that's it. Other valved systems vary, some have fixed programming, some have no programming at all and simply have an Open or Closed state. I have to assume that there is a cost in designing, testing, implementing, changing and maintaining these electronics and associated sensors, etc. Those costs aren't being spread out among 500,000 Ford Mustangs or 450,000 Chevy Camaros, they are being spread across a few thousand, maybe only hundreds of Porsches at best. Economies of scale are going to come into play.

There are also material differences, pipes are not just pipes, I've seen "cheap" so-called stainless steel rot away within a few years, I've seen poor welds that have busted or pipes that have pulled away due to fatigue, so even comparing pipes and muffler materials there are likely to be differences, how much depends on the supplier and how well they are made depends on the designers and the fabricators, all those people need to get paid as well. Labor costs will vary, obviously a system hand-built in Europe is going to cost more than one mass produced in China even if nothing were different other than the production methods.

You did mention that the warranty and support has value. I would agree it does, take for example the first gen Cayman exhausts from Capristo, when it turned out that there was a problem with the pipe routing and heat shielding Capristo replaced not only their exhausts on their dime, but also affected non-exhaust parts like melted drop links. Very very few companies go to those kind of lengths when trying to make a system "right" and to do the right thing by the customer to make them happy and make their install a success. Customer service does mean a lot and again there is a cost to getting that quality of service.

I know that there may be some exhaust manufacturers who source from China and then "mark up" their systems simply because they are going on a Porsche and I would agree with you that those manufacturers should not be rewarded with your business if they aren't providing value for your hard earned dollars. But to assume that ALL exhaust manufacturers are this way is a bad assumption as I've already given you an example of where that assumption is incorrect (Capristo). Capristo charges more for a Lambo Huracan exhaust not simply because it is going on that car, but because of the costs in developing that system and then the number of potential customers they can spread those costs across and still be profitable. Maybe there are Lambo owners out there thinking they should have bought a "Cheap" Porsche instead so they could get a lower priced exhaust system.

Last time I checked one of our members with an extra Capristo exhaust system (brand new and shipped straight from Capristo to the end buyer) had it for sale in the classifieds at a discount off retail, if I were in need of an exhaust system I'd jump on that. As Chows pointed out, doing a bit of research on this site should uncover the experiences people have had with different exhaust makers and which ones provide better service, warranty, etc. There's at least one who isn't an advertiser here anymore because they didn't provide a quality product to our members and got shut down. So we try to look after each other here as best we can.

I don't want to say don't try this other company, I only want to say if you try them, try them for the right reasons. If you want to blaze a trail and report back to our members I think that is great, everyone gains from more knowledge, but please don't say you had to do it because all the other exhaust manufacturers "over charge" because that simply isn't true.

Best of luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the things you said, and I agree with what you said; but I do think that there are exhaust manufacturers that overcharge substsntially.

But anyway, I may burn a new trail because it would be awesome if people could get a valved system for around $1000... Assuming it sounds good and doesn't burn my car to the ground

·
Registered
70 Posts
I say do it, take it to a good shop and have them fab it up and take good pics and video. I just did my own carnewal set up and it sounds great with zero drone.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you get a chance, post s video of that carnewal setup, there isn't much on it here for the 981

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I say do it, take it to a good shop and have them fab it up and take good pics and video. I just did my own carnewal set up and it sounds great with zero drone.
Care to provide more details of your new set-up? Also, any video or sound clips?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am trying to get with Lemon on here for the exhaust sound clip meet up. I can do my best with my iphone. I will share pics when I get a chance. I installed the EPL headers and took my the stock muffler off. Cut around the canister and removed the inner cat. Then I ran 2 1/2 inch tube from the header flange to the canister/muffler. I had to add an 02 bung for the post cat sensors. I removed the "T" flange for the tips and ran single outs for better flow. Like pictured below. I'm in total headers and exhaust for $1700. And no check engine light! I used Speedtech's 02 bung extender.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sounds like an awesome set up, i want to do a similar thing if i use these mufflers. I want to maintain a 2.5 inch tube (2.5 is the stock diameter right?) that way I keep the exhaust velocity up, with the valves open I'll have basically a straight exhaust at 2.5 inch diameter

·
Registered
70 Posts
On the 987 the stock diameter of the exhaust is 2". I'm not sure what the 981 diameter is. So going up to 2 1/2" increased the flow. Carnewal does this on the GT version of their system for the 987.

803 Posts
Hey Everyone,

As K-Man S has mentioned in his posts, there is a lot more to exhaust systems than what you may think. Especially when it comes to the research and development of ensuring each component is going to be a quality, direct factory replacement.

Our systems are made from the absolute best batch of T304L Stainless Steel from a US manufacturer we have been dealing with for over 15 years. This T304L is used not just on the exterior case of our mufflers/resonators, but the interior as well to ensure longevity. To top it off we TIG weld and polish our products to perfection, and they go through a stringent quality control process to ensure every product you receive from Fabspeed Motorsport is designed and fabricated to outlast the life of your vehicle. That being said, all of our products are backed by our limited lifetime warranty. Limited meaning please refrain from going 90mph over a speed bump or back into a wall at the track.

You deserve the best, your vehicle deserves the best, and that is what we strive to provide you and exceed all of your expectations of performance, sound, quality, and service.

Please take a moment to watch our introductory video to our company and learn more about not only our products, but the Fabspeed family and lifestyle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am trying to get with Lemon on here for the exhaust sound clip meet up. I can do my best with my iphone. I will share pics when I get a chance. I installed the EPL headers and took my the stock muffler off. Cut around the canister and removed the inner cat. Then I ran 2 1/2 inch tube from the header flange to the canister/muffler. I had to add an 02 bung for the post cat sensors. I removed the "T" flange for the tips and ran single outs for better flow. Like pictured below. I'm in total headers and exhaust for $1700. And no check engine light! I used Speedtech's 02 bung extender.
Interesting! Would be nice to have pics and videos of your setup! ^^

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no update from me yet, and fabspeed, no doubt you guys make good products. thanks for sharing

Reactions: Fabspeed Motorsport
1 - 19 of 19 Posts