Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Agree with the comments at the video site the turbo does not comes near the apexes with the exception of one turn. The Cayman is also using the whole track for the turn runoff. The Cayman was outbreaking the turbo by a mile. Very nice driving on the Cayman.

Without knowing the driver experience of the turbo, the pads, tires and brake fluid it is hard to really comment on his driving. On a tight track the turbo would have been toast.

Enjoyable video. Thanks.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
hmm very interesting again to see this video especially for all the tt non believers who were not astonished at the lightning laps @ VIR and the Cayman coming in at the same lap time as the tt. Here you have a race prepped Cayman and from the comments I heard on this board from the people who had the chance to drive one they are supposed to be driving circles around our stock Caymans.

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,928 Posts
Point of clarificaiton on the thread title - the Cayman in the video is a Cayman Interseries Championship car and not a CaymanSpec car.

Cayman Interseries is for 2009+ Gen II Cayman S' built specifically to run with HSR.

CaymanSpec (copyright) is a race class, not a series, similar to Boxster Spec that is built on the 06 to 08 chassis and can be run with any class that adopts the rules.

Please see this forum for more information: Cayman Spec Racing -

Cheers,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Point of clarificaiton on the thread title - the Cayman in the video is a Cayman Interseries Championship car and not a CaymanSpec car.

Cayman Interseries is for 2009+ Gen II Cayman S' built specifically to run with HSR.

CaymanSpec (copyright) is a race class, not a series, similar to Boxster Spec that is built on the 06 to 08 chassis and can be run with any class that adopts the rules.

Please see this forum for more information: Cayman Spec Racing -

Cheers,

My Bad :thanks: I changed the title

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
That's Jim's car and he is a good driver and certianly much better on the track than the turbo driver. I have no idea if the turbo car is modified but given how much it pulled going up the main hill at the end it might be. Can you imagine what a Cayman Interseries car with a turbo would be like? :) :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
It is probably not fair to compare since the skills of the drivers is unknown (especially the Turbo; he missed just about every apex). You have to love the power of the Turbo but give me the Cayman any day. Watch the steering input of the Cayman in the turns, zero! Beautiful balance and late braking. By the end of this year I hope to have one in my garage. Great video, thanks for posting.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
... but doesn't that further underline the BS of the lightning lap? If the turbo driver here is bad and misses every apex and at least in case of the car test it would have been the same driver in both cars?

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
^^Yes. The Cayman is not as fast around the track as a Carrera S or a Turbo. If you think they are you haven't tracked them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dang, that was fun to watch again... I needed that!

Just some good friends enjoying their Porsche hotrods at Road America. The gentlemen driving the Turbo is a Dr. friend of mine, as many of you noticed it was his first time at this track. He improved rapidly over the weekend. His Turbo was on R6's, pagid yellow pads and the ecu is flashed amongst other turbo mods, the car is wicked fast.

Camera car is the "Hippy" Interseries Cayman driven by me, I've got a few laps around RA. Things I noticed when I watched this video again is how many times I press the PTT button on my wheel, I am telling jokes with Neil in the Red and White Interseries Cayman that you see briefly at the start of the video, he's right on my bumper throughout that video. Also, the white 2010 GT3 we smoked by just after the kink.

As I remember this was an exceptional test weekend for the Interseries Caymans, I beat my best lap time at RA in my setup '07 GT3 by 4 seconds! Probably a good part of it by how much speed I could carry in the carousel, the cool fall 40 degree weather didn't hurt either.

I can't wait to drive again!

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Nice vid, we all have come to the understanding the Cayman is the perfect drivers car & not built for brute speed. The day I feel the need for more power I'll looking to buy either a TT or CS2. In fact it maybe the CS2 as I like N/A cars since going into the Cayman.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
That was fun to watch. Thanks for posting it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts