Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys
I just arrived from the Porsche dealer here at Puerto Rico because I was having problems with the transmission of my Cayman S. The thing is they just called me and told me that the car's clutch and flywheel needed to be replaced since they are worn and the total cost for this was $3,700.
Is this normal for a car that only has 17k miles ?
Have this happened to you guys ?
Should I replace it with an aftermarket one ?

I will appreciate your help here, please.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
How many miles did the car have when you bought it? Did you buy it new or used?

Obviously this isn't normal after only 17k miles but the information you provided is severely lacking in details, so there's really no way to say whether this is a result of your driving skills or if this is some kind of defect.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I bought it with 1k miles less than what it has now. I just have it for 2 weeks.
BTW the car felt like new when I bought it. It was very rare that I drove the car and like a mile from my home it stopped working.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I bought it with 1k miles less than what it has now. I just have it for 2 weeks.
BTW the car felt like new when I bought it. It was very rare that I drove the car and like a mile from my home it stopped working.
Did you buy it from a dealer or an individual? If a dealer did it come with a warranty? Did you have the car inspected before you purchased it (from either source). Again, not enough info for us to go on at this point, maybe the prior owner roasted the clutch a lot, have you tried searching our garage for the vin# to see if it was owned by someone on this site previously? Do you know anything about the car's history?

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
So it only had 16,000 miles on it when you bought it? What year is it? That is certainly not normal. The only way I could see that happening is if the previous owner didn't know how to drive a manual transmission vehicle properly.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
PR-S please send me a PM. It sure does not sound normal. The questions that K-ManS asks are important, then we will know how to advise you. Include the Vin# to see if it is in a technical service bulletin. Send it to K-ManS via pm if you do not want to post it.

What color is it?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought it from a dealer but I called before i purchase it and they told me that the car was in 2008 for maintenance with 15k miles on it. 1k less than it has right now. I really don't know whats going on at the dealer but I prefer to fix it outside and buy an aftermarket clutch and flywheel. The vin # is wpoab29866u782678. I loved the car but right now i'm a bit disappointed with it. Sorry for my english guys and thanks for your help.

·
Registered
436 Posts
As pointed by others above several issues are all balled into one.

Firstly, not every bad clutch/flywheel is due to misuse. If it is a manufacturing defect, you should be covered under warranty. If it's barely just out of warranty and a common problem, you may still get lucky and be covered.

Next, even if the clutch was somehow burned due to abuse/misuse, the selling dealer may have some responsibility.

It is only the none of the above case that you should pay such an amount. But in that case, wouldn't you have noticed something wrong from the feel of the clutch? If it gave no warning, just went from smooth clutch to gone (with no abuse on your part), I suspect a manufacturing defect that should be covered.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Send me a pm with your phone number I will give you a call. If you bought the car from anyone, but Garaje Europa they will tell you it is a wear item and not under warranty.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I see by the VIN# that this is a 2006 Cayman S and the VIN# does not match anyone from this site, although in 2008 another member has the same last 6 digits. :) It may well be out of warranty or just about out of warranty depending upon its in-service date. For example my car is about 800 cars before this one and its warranty ran out about 3 weeks ago (4 years from in-service date as opposed to 50k miles) So the first thing is to determine whether or not your original warranty is still valid. If it is pursue a warranty claim and demand to see the clutch and flywheel, if it really is burned up then you should be able to see whether this was wear over a long term or something that happened suddenly due to something you did. Provided it isn't the latter, then the dealer sold you a used car with this pre-existing condition and if so what were the terms of the sale? Did you get a CPO car or was the car sold as-is meaning you'd have to rely solely on the original factory warranty. You have some work to do and need to do it fast so something doesn't lapse, in the mean time you might call your regional Porsche Service line (don't know if the 1-800-PORSCHE # works for you or not) and lodge a complaint about the clutch failing, it was through no fault of your own and it is on a car that the dealership just sold to you. If they value your business they'll make it right, if they don't and won't honor any existing warranty or won't accept fault for selling a faulty car (assuming it was) then you can either go to an independent shop or pursue a legal recourse against your local dealer.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Good advice from K-man S!

Even if it turns out to be worst case - no warranty and no assistance from Porsche - do not pay anywhere near this much for a clutch and flywheel. A good independent shop should be able to repair it for significantly less. (You might even be able to have the flywheel re-surfaced). Good luck!

·
On Probation
582 Posts
did you say in another post you raced some one 7 times with this car a few days ago

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Extanker is right, a little over a week ago you posted this:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-comparisons/41600-cayman-s-vs-e46-m3.html#post432371

wherein you claimed to have raced him at least 7 times, if you were dumping the clutch maybe something went wrong that is in fact your fault or related to your racing someone else. Either way as Interpol said if you don't have warranty coverage then there are less expensive shops that can do the same work.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
Extanker is right, a little over a week ago you posted this:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-comparisons/41600-cayman-s-vs-e46-m3.html#post432371

wherein you claimed to have raced him at least 7 times, if you were dumping the clutch maybe something went wrong that is in fact your fault or related to your racing someone else. Either way as Interpol said if you don't have warranty coverage then there are less expensive shops that can do the same work.
does this mean i can be a super mod now ? whats it pay ? do i get a badge ? check the 3rd....i dont need no stinkin badges

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
does this mean i can be a super mod now ? whats it pay ? do i get a badge ? check the 3rd....i dont need no stinkin badges
No, supermods have a lot of things they do around here besides noticing patterns in posts, remember our goal around here is to help our fellow members, even when we spot something that may put them in a bad light we can still offer constructive advice. I can send you a check for the same amount they get paid each week though. :taunt:

·
On Probation
582 Posts
No, supermods have a lot of things they do around here besides noticing patterns in posts, remember our goal around here is to help our fellow members, even when we spot something that may put them in a bad light we can still offer constructive advice. I can send you a check for the same amount they get paid each week though. :taunt:
i,m so disappointed....not

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
OP seems to have disappeared. What happened?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, so I finally took the car out of the Porsche dealer and found a nice guy who works with Porsches here and he will help me out. Came out buying an Aasco LWFW with a Sachs clutch with hug springs and Pressure Plate. Thanks to Jaica who helped me a lot too with the choice I made and thank u too guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts