·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Re: very interested in adding a classit turbo 911 whale tail to my cayman

Hm....have any photos you can post? I'm having difficulty picturing this looking good....

·
Registered
502 Posts

added the link

what do you think
I can't say I hate it...can't say I love it. I think it is something I would need to see in person. From the pics, not something I would do. I can appreciate the sum of the upgrades to that car though. It would make a good show car and those wheels are really something with the color match lip.

·
Registered
241 Posts

I agree with Bretster, the standard wing needs to be in the down position, otherwise I think it looks surprisingly good and gives the Cayman a "heritage" look. The wheels are very nice.
BW

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts

Would look better with the standard Cayman spoiler out of the way, but other than that looks pretty natural on the car.
Totally disagree. IMO it looks ridiculous - that whale tail attachment simply looks like a single-piece aftermarket attachment that bolts (at least, I hope it's not just glued) on to the rear hatch.

The problems I see with this are:

- it totally destroys the functionality of the OEM rear spoiler, plus the fact that the spoiler is raised in that photo makes the car look even more ridiculous
- the fake vents on the whale tail make it look cheap. Why make the Cayman look like a rear engined car?
- bolting a large and presumably heavy spoiler like that onto the rear hatch will make opening and keeping the hatch open a lot harder
- overall adds a bunch of unnecessary weight to the car

To each his own, I guess.

·
Registered
502 Posts

That could be another negative. Porsche puts time, research, and money in to the aerodynamics. This large wing will change the aero...I would think you would need to make changes to the front as well if you ever take it over 100.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
interpol

bolting a large and presumably heavy spoiler like that onto the rear hatch will make opening and keeping the hatch open a lot harder
I have had this happen with my Ta style rear wing ,I have to use a golf club to hold the darn thing up.I was thinking of replacing the struts with stronger ones .

I am with coal0101 on this one
I can't say I hate it...can't say I love it.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts

I agree that with the fake louvers, it just doesn't look right . . . and the guy went to all that trouble to modify the looks, but left on the orange side markers! :crazy:

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts

I'm just surprised how come this Cayman fanatic is not here on Planet-9?!!

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts

I like the idea, I don't like the execution. If you remove the vents and somehow able to prop it up without the use of the original cayman spoiler...I think it would cool.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts

I'm just surprised how come this Cayman fanatic is not here on Planet-9?!!
It's not a fanatic, it's a dealer selling the car.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
coal0101

you gotta have some big kahoonas to try this .
I do give them props for thinking of it and actually executing a finished idea .
this is where great ideas come from ,it could lead to other ones ,so whoever did it ,I tip my hat to ya :cheers:

·
Registered
500 Posts

Totally disagree. IMO it looks ridiculous - that whale tail attachment simply looks like a single-piece aftermarket attachment that bolts (at least, I hope it's not just glued) on to the rear hatch.

The problems I see with this are:

- it totally destroys the functionality of the OEM rear spoiler, plus the fact that the spoiler is raised in that photo makes the car look even more ridiculous
- the fake vents on the whale tail make it look cheap. Why make the Cayman look like a rear engined car?
- bolting a large and presumably heavy spoiler like that onto the rear hatch will make opening and keeping the hatch open a lot harder
- overall adds a bunch of unnecessary weight to the car

To each his own, I guess.
+1! bad idea poorly executed IHO

·
Registered
992 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.