Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very low mileage 2014 Cayman S - 7500 miles. Its my wife car and she only drives it on weekends when the weather is perfect! Car has never been tracked.

The car has always had its oil/filter changed yearly and the brake fluids done every 2 years at the dealer. Now that our CPO warranty is finished, I am going to find an independent mechanic as the dealer prices in Houston are crazy.

I plan to do the usual oil/filter/air filter changes.

So here is my question - with such low miles and only driving in perfect weather conditions, do I need to do the following major services:

New spark plugs (4 years - already missed this - not sure why dealer did not recommend this earlier)
Drive belt (6 years) - car is now 6 year old

Is the drive belt the timing belt? If it is, is the flat 6 a interference engine and will a drive belt failure cause catastrophic engine damage?

It seems a little wasteful to be changing these items which such low mileage.

Anyone know of a good, reasonably price independent shop in Southwest Houston?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Changed out my spark plugs at 4 years / 40k miles and they still looked good. Might go for 60k till the next change, unless an issue with an ignition coil appears before then.

I would replace the belt as time could also have a factor in it's condition and I wouldn't want a broken belt to break the car and possibly me. In my area (southern california) I was quoted around $300 to change the belt. However, I'm tempted to replace it since i'm not too afraid of a little DIY, especially since another board member posted the directions below.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think the question is whether you plan to keep this car for 10 years, or try to sell it. If you're going to try to sell within the next couple years, stay with the maintenance schedule and have it done somewhere to have records and get top dollar on the sale. If you are going to keep it, drive it more! Sitting in the garage is not great for cars. I've been doing DIY maintenance on mine because I intend to drive the hell out of this car for the next 5+ years, and I'm not really worried about resale on a high mileage car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a very low mileage 2014 Cayman S - 7500 miles. Its my wife car and she only drives it on weekends when the weather is perfect! Car has never been tracked.

The car has always had its oil/filter changed yearly and the brake fluids done every 2 years at the dealer. Now that our CPO warranty is finished, I am going to find an independent mechanic as the dealer prices in Houston are crazy.

I plan to do the usual oil/filter/air filter changes.

So here is my question - with such low miles and only driving in perfect weather conditions, do I need to do the following major services:

New spark plugs (4 years - already missed this - not sure why dealer did not recommend this earlier)
Drive belt (6 years) - car is now 6 year old

Is the drive belt the timing belt? If it is, is the flat 6 a interference engine and will a drive belt failure cause catastrophic engine damage?

It seems a little wasteful to be changing these items which such low mileage.

Anyone know of a good, reasonably price independent shop in Southwest Houston?
I bougt a '14 Cayman S with 17,400 in January. I had the drive belt changed at Einar's garage in Houston for $341. The service information i had did not indicate it had been changed. It will dry rot so it should be changed. I also swapped the battery as it was 7 years old. I bought oem from sunset porsche in Oregon I think for $291 including shipping.

The drive belt is not a timing belt. This engine uses a timing chain.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
I agree on doing the belt as time effects rubber as much as miles.
Could wait on plugs if you are keeping the car but there is some concern of the plugs freezing in alum heads. You don't want to get to point where it's a problem to remove them.
6 years old I would do them. What about air and cabin filters. They are part of 4 year service.
Next year or 2 will be needing a battery. You can wait until it's a problem since the car is used so little. Just make sure you can still get into the car. Keep it on a charger and I always had mine in a locked garage with the driver window open some. Getting into these cars with a dead battery is a PITA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts