Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am usually not a big fan of aftermarket wheels, but I really like the Victor Equipment Zehns (supposedly made just for Porsches). However, the offsets just don't seem right. Specifically, I am looking at 19 x 8 front and 19 x 9.5 rear, although the 18" diameter offsets are the same.

Stock 987 wheels are approx front 57 and rear 43 while the Zenhs are front 45 and rear 49. So if my logic is correct, the front Zehns will be 12mm further outboard than stock and yet the rears will be tucked in 6mm greater than stock?!? On paper, this seems like it would look terrible.

And then there is the further question that even if I did purchase spacers for the rear to overcome that problem, the extra 12mm in front still seems like it would stick out way too far and nothing can be done to correct it. I know some guys use 5-7mm front spacer with stock wheels, but additional 12mm outward just seems like too much. Hopefully someone who has these wheels will chime in. Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am usually not a big fan of aftermarket wheels, but I really like the Victor Equipment Zehns (supposedly made just for Porsches). However, the offsets just don't seem right. Specifically, I am looking at 19 x 8 front and 19 x 9.5 rear, although the 18" diameter offsets are the same.

Stock 987 wheels are approx front 57 and rear 43 while the Zenhs are front 45 and rear 49. So if my logic is correct, the front Zehns will be 12mm further outboard than stock and yet the rears will be tucked in 6mm greater than stock?!? On paper, this seems like it would look terrible.

And then there is the further question that even if I did purchase spacers for the rear to overcome that problem, the extra 12mm in front still seems like it would stick out way too far and nothing can be done to correct it. I know some guys use 5-7mm front spacer with stock wheels, but additional 12mm outward just seems like too much. Hopefully someone who has these wheels will chime in. Thanks!
Hi Cable,

Your suspicion is correct, just take a look at the factory specs, +57 front vs. +43 rear. True, to get a wider aggressive stance, you have to have a more aggressive offset for your aftermarket wheel purchase. Use this ratio as a starting point front & rear to calculate how many millimeters wider you want to go or can go without having the tires rub the fender under compression. Tire width also has a factor with fender clearance once you get closer to the point of tire/fender contact.

This particular example for the Victor Equipment Zehns at +45 front vs. +49 rear, you are looking at a more aggressive front and a less aggressive rear than the factory wheels.

To help you with your aftermarket wheel shopping, I'm running a +39 front and a +37 rear (due to a +44 rear wheel with a 7mm spacer to clear the lowered rear suspension) on 19" wheels. If you plan on lowering the car in the future, you have to watch the offset for 18" wheels which would need a less aggressive offset or bigger rear spacer to clear suspension... that exact number I do not know for an 18" rear wheel. My tires are 245 front on a 8.5" wheel and 295 rear tire on a 11" rear wheel.

FYI with this setup, it will only look right if the car is lowered, you have to factor in the cambering that will occur with lowered suspension. At the factory ride height, my offsets would make the tires/wheels look like they are somewhat out past the fender, I can see this when I raise the car up with the jack.

If you do not plan on lowering the car, I'd find wheels that match the offset of the factory Porsche 19" wheels, maybe go just a little more aggressive ; )

http://www.planet-9.com/porsche-tires-wheels/38350-installed-volk-racing-te37-gunmetal-silver-arctic-silver.html

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Do a search on Zhen and you will find a thread about these... Another member, owen birch, has some good pics of his 19" Zhen with a 14mm rear spacer... should give you a good idea of what they would look like.

·
Registered
490 Posts
with 14mm spacers in the rear, they look great. The fronts also line up just right.

You could also go with the 11 inch wide rear wheel and not need spacers.
I went with the 9.5 inch wide wheel for a better fit with the 275's.
You could do 275's on an 11 inch wheel, but it might look stretched.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wheels look great but I do think the fronts are right about at my limit in terms of sticking out. Do they throw a lot of stones and debris at the side of the car? Does the side get dirty more quickly? Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.