Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This plenum has exceeded our expectations and is currently being sold as a timed pre-market pre-buy.

We are a group of Mechanical and Electrical Engineers specializing in Motion Control. With over 30 years experience and 46 patents.

We did not like the flow characteristics of Performance Plenums that we have found on the market. So, we modeled flow analysis and came up with our own design which has far exceeded our expectations.
Viking Performance Plenum Dyno Results.jpg

·
Registered
284 Posts
OK I will be the first to bite...What car is this on? Is this gain purely from the plenum?

This plenum has exceeded our expectations and is currently being sold as a timed pre-market pre-buy.

We are a group of Mechanical and Electrical Engineers specializing in Motion Control. With over 30 years experience and 46 patents.

We did not like the flow characteristics of Performance Plenums that we have found on the market. So, we modeled flow analysis and came up with our own design which has far exceeded our expectations.
View attachment 50616

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Can you share a little more...what was the base hp and what are the mods?
Sure Mike, We tested an 07 Cayman S with Softronics Software & Fab Speed Cat-Back Exhaust and a K&N Filter.

Before with Cayman S stock plenum and throttle body:

Cayman Stock Plenum Dyno Results.jpg

Then we installed the Viking Performance Plenum & 82mm GT3 Throttle Body which is the after:

Viking Performance Plenum Dyno Results.jpg

So the Dyno Tests are showing only the difference of the addition of the Performance Plenum with the GT3 Throttle Body. I hope that helps clarify things a bit better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK I will be the first to bite...What car is this on? Is this gain purely from the plenum?
Hi Mungee - The best answer would be the one I just gave Mike:

We tested an 07 Cayman S with Softronics Software & Fab Speed Cat-Back Exhaust and a K&N Filter.

Before with Cayman S stock plenum and throttle body:

View attachment 50640

Then we installed the Viking Performance Plenum & 82mm GT3 Throttle Body which is the after:

View attachment 50641

So the Dyno Tests are showing only the difference of the addition of the Performance Plenum with the GT3 Throttle Body. I hope that helps clarify things a bit better.

·
Registered
192 Posts
trying to understand this. you peak power at 6200 rpm and dip from there with a slight rise near redline. I don't understand how this really helps. You pickup 10 hp at 6200 vs stock that has a very flat HP peak to redline. Not trying to be dense but I don't see a huge win.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
trying to understand this. you peak power at 6200 rpm and dip from there with a slight rise near redline. I don't understand how this really helps. You pickup 10 hp at 6200 vs stock that has a very flat HP peak to redline. Not trying to be dense but I don't see a huge win.
Did you even look at the torque?????

10 HP you aren't likely to feel and that's on par with what other plenum/tb combos produce, but +40 ft/lbs of torque that's huge!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Did you even look at the torque?????

10 HP you aren't likely to feel and that's on par with what other plenum/tb combos produce, but +40 ft/lbs of torque that's huge!
I guess the question is, why is it such a weird torque spike at 6200rpm that then falls right back off, both graphs are @ 225 rwtq @ 7000rpm. This shows a nice gain between 6000-6500. Seems like any gain should be a little more uniform rather than having such an odd spike like that. Its an interesting result that I'd like more explanation on.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
I have no idea why their torque graph is the way it is, could be the resonance flaps have altered the curve because of the new plenum and gt3 throttle body, could be an artifact of other mods, or combo of mods, hard to say. Certainly there are documented gains, the question for each individual would be what do their own gains with their own combos look like. It is certainly the case that no other plenum has shown those kind of gains whether alone or in combo with other mods. So if you are simply comparing plenum to plenum it would seem that this plenum produces more overall hp and torque vs. Others but sure it would be nice to have a head to head test where the only item changed is the plenum. Maybe someone with another plenum will buy this one and conduct such a test.

Sent from my Galaxy Prime Windows Mobile 8.5 Phone via TapaTalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry about the delay in reply!

It has been a very full week here at the ranch and today is the first day we have been able to visit the forum.

Let me get with Jeff and on your questions and comments and we will have some answers for you soon. From the looks of things, sounds like an interesting trail!

You've gotta love yellow!

Be back in a bit then...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you installed this plenum on a 987.2 and what were the gains. Looks like it will also require a seperate purchase of a GT-3 trottle,correct?
Hi acropora,
Sorry, but we have not had our hands on a 987.2 yet to look at the details. We plan to soon. Yes, once we do issue a 987.2 version, you would still need to purchase the larger TB. They're easy to find and very available. we can help you find one if you need.

Kind regards

1 - 12 of 12 Posts