Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 2014 Cayman since March of 2014. Went to the dealer today because I couldn't open my fuel lid at the gas station this morning and it was nearly empty. Discovered it's fairly common problem. So they ordered parts and until then, I have to drive around with the lid slightly open. While they were working on that, they noticed I had no VIN plate under the windshield on the driver's side where it has always been. Well that, they said is probably because it gets so hot here in FL that the adhesive came unglued and it slid down out of sight. How to get it back, I asked. Well we'll have to remove the windshield to do that. And will that be covered under the warranty, I asked? We'll check on that and let you know. Just a month before that, I came in to ask about my door panels coming unglued and sticking up. Oh that is a common problem with 2014 Caymans they said. So they order 2 of those. Then I asked about the scratches one of my headlights. Oh, that's a common problem with Caymans they said. So they ordered 2 of those too.

This is a 70k Porsche Cayman, not a cheap *** Toyota. WTF!!! I don't know if I should ever order another one. And the VIN tag? I'm no Spring chicken so I've owned and operated dozens of cars in my life and never have I even heard of the VIN plate coming unglued. Am I the only one?

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
...And the VIN tag? I'm no Spring chicken so I've owned and operated dozens of cars in my life and never have I even heard of the VIN plate coming unglued. Am I the only one?
That's crazy and disturbing. The VIN tag should indelibly identify the car. If it can fall off, it can also be removed and moved to a different car. Of course, that would be detectable by checking what's stored in the ECU and other places on the car, but most people wouldn't check that when buying through less formal means (by-owner, etc).

Reactions: cobby

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's too bad. I ran into fuel lid issue once. I think if you unlock the passenger side door then the lid will open. What is the scratch on the headlight? Got picture?
At the top of the light assembly underneath the clear lens you can see it looks like scratches but they tell me its the coating cracking and peeling. It happened to the other headlight too several months ago and they replaced that one too.
Glass Rim

·
Registered
443 Posts
I live in FL, and I've never, ever heard of a VIN plate adhesive failing. Not saying it can't happen, just I've never heard of it. I've had a number of vehicles over the years that lived outside in the FL heat, so I've seen bad things happen due to sun, but never that.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My warranty ended in July. Just before it ended, I had them to check the car for warranty repairs if any. Dealer said all good. Either they overlooked this or ignored it. I will give them a call on Monday

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My warranty ended in July. Just before it ended, I had them to check the car for warranty repairs if any. Dealer said all good. Either they overlooked this or ignored it. I will give them a call on Monday
Yes and let them know how you feel about them missing this (if they really did miss it). I'm about to go to battle with my dealership over this VIN plate thing.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have the headlight issue also, and thought I had scratched them. I have to bring the car in for what I think is the squeaking gas tank.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Yes and let them know how you feel about them missing this (if they really did miss it). I'm about to go to battle with my dealership over this VIN plate thing.
They must be using the same defective glue on the VIN plate as they did on the all the door panels that are coming apart:( What a bizarre issue to have, and good luck with the dealership.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I hear things like this about dealers a lot, but what is the rationale behind it. Whether warranty or not, it is work they get paid for. I doubt they care who pays them. Most all Porsche dealerships are far from high volume, and they would have to be insane to ignore or discourage warranty work. Actually, they would have to be insane to not scour vehicles looking for it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I believe that it's required by law (federal?) that a vin tag be visible under the windshield. You might want to investigate this. It would require the removal of the windshield to access. Do you know if the windshield has ever been replaced? This might account for the vin tags disappearance.

On many cars, including my 2010 Volvo, the vin tag is riveted to the frame under the windshield.

Oh, although the dealer gets paid by Porsche to do warranty work it's not the same as you and I would pay! In other words, if it's a busy shop, they'd rather be doing customer work than warranty work.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe that it's required by law (federal?) that a vin tag be visible under the windshield. You might want to investigate this. It would require the removal of the windshield to access. Do you know if the windshield has ever been replaced? This might account for the vin tags disappearance.

On many cars, including my 2010 Volvo, the vin tag is pinned to the frame under the windshield.

Oh, although the dealer gets paid by Porsche to do warranty work it's not the same as you and I would pay! In other words, if it's a busy shop, they'd rather be doing customer work than warranty work.
I ordered the car from the factory so am the one and only owner. The windshield has never been removed. I will be smoking mad if either the Porsche dealership or Porsche does not pay for this. It had better not cost me a nickle

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.