Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '09 Cayman. I want to remove the sun visors in order to remove the labels that abound on them. I've read the threads, but when I tried the method mentioned, as I pulled back there was one detent movement , then no further movement. I was pulling hard and twisting, too. Am I missing something? Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to break anything. Thanks in advance.
Happy Holidays To All

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'm sorry I don't have a link for you but there is a guy in Canada who sells black vinyl decals specifically cut to cover the air bag decals on the visors. They are under $20 and one of the best and easiest mods I've done to my Boxster. He sells them on eBay and you can probably locate his auction by doing a search in eBay motors. I've heard horror stories about trying to soak the decals off with de natured alcohol as well as damaging the visors trying to get them off. The decals blend right in and are installed in under ten minutes.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'll second Bad's comment. The black labels work perfect. They blend in and are almost impossible to see even if you are looking at them.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Santa Fe's link is the method I used to remove mine (just the ones on the side you see when the visors are up). And it works. The only problem I had was I left the Goof Off on more than a couple seconds and it completely melted the label eliminating the ability to peel them off. Then I had to use more Goof Off to clean it completely off. I was able to complete the effort without removing the visor and with no ill effect on the material. And it only took a few minutes. Goof Off is often available at paint stores although I found a spray can version at Lowes. Good luck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The visor pulls straight off the post. I goes about four inches into the visor. Point the visor to the rear of the car grasp the visor in one hand and the mounting post in the other and pull straight back with a twisting motion. As an FYI the electrical connections for the light are in the clip and do not run through the mounting post. It is very tight. However as stated above you do not need to remove the visor to take the sticker off. One BIG WARNING - do not use goof off on the mirror cover it will melt the plastic. It seems to work ok on the sticker on the vinyl (you can still see a slight outline of the sticker afterwards) but you have to take your time. Do yourself a favor and buy the decal cover. You can find them on ebay also.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
It is too bad those decal covers don't come in colors besides black. A black cover over Cocoa leather is as bad as the safety decal.

·
Registered
352 Posts
You don't need to remove the visor, or even use overlays. The airbag warning stickers will come off if you get some denatured alcohol and a microfiber cloth. All you have to do is keep plenty of alcohol on the sticker and pick at it with your fingernail and/or microfiber cloth. Takes about 10 minutes per sticker. No damage done to the visors. You'll have to trash the microfiber cloth when done, however.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here is the method I used for my 997.2 to remove the visors and install the European ones without the stickers. First wedge a thin trim tool between the cover plate and the visor mount. Pry gently and this cover plate will pop off and slide down the rod out of the way. It's held in place by four clips. This exposes the torx-25 screw which you then remove.

A slot in the mount allows access to a bendable clip which you depress with a flat blade screwdriver. With this depressed, pull the side of the mount closest to the window towards you. This rotates the mount about the fixed clip opposite the one you depressed. The visors are now free to mod as you wish.

In my case, I bought leather visors without the stickers along with the leather dome lamp cover. If I ever sell the car, the original parts can be reinstalled.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Or, you can order them in color from my son. "Kellen Frostholm Designs"

He will soon have a website offering these and other interior goodies. For advanced order information, email me for details... bobfrostholm "at" gmail.com

These have a gloss finish, not matte.

Cheers

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts