Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed that the Voice Control option is not to be found (unless I'm blind) on the Cayman GTS build menu (for the US). My CGTS build w/Voice Control was just delivered to the dealer (it's on the Monroney sticker). I know there's not a lot of love for this option in some quarters, just found it's odd that it's no longer there.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
FWIW I don't see it either including on the 911. I looked out of curiosity. So maybe you're not or we're both blind. I expect it will come back. It might be part of CarPlay. Don't know.

It's not an option I'd miss currently. Not because I don't see the use but that every implementation of voice control I've used seems to require more fuss and attention then just doing it. I include Siri in this though the addition of voice training helped significantly.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Hmmm, it is on the Canadian configurator, still need to play with this on my new car! Voice_control.png

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FWIW I don't see it either including on the 911. I looked out of curiosity. So maybe you're not or we're both blind. I expect it will come back. It might be part of CarPlay. Don't know.

It's not an option I'd miss currently. Not because I don't see the use but that every implementation of voice control I've used seems to require more fuss and attention then just doing it. I include Siri in this though the addition of voice training helped significantly.
Time will tell how useful and how much I actually use it. Given my sport steering (no controls on wheel) I was just looking to answer and end telephone calls; anything else is a bonus for me.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
The only command I use regularly is "stop route guidance". Sometimes I use it to make phone calls. I should really take the time to read about all the available commands so it can be more useful.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
The only command I use regularly is "stop route guidance". Sometimes I use it to make phone calls. I should really take the time to read about all the available commands so it can be more useful.
Me too! So have tried to have read emails or texts to you?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Me too! So have tried to have read emails or texts to you?
I very rarely get texts using actual SMS. Most of mine come through apps. I don't think I've ever had it read one. My Jeep makes it easy. When one comes in, it immediately asks me if I want to read it and tells me what to do. In the Porsche... I know it knows there's a text... I remember once hearing the beep and seeing something come up in the MFD... but I don't think I tried to get it to read it out. :)

I remember once entering an address with the voice control and being really impressed that it worked properly. I'm sure I've had it not work properly more than a few times though, such that I just use the screen now. And I'm pretty certain this is user error for the most part. Like I said... I need to read up on it to know how to use it properly.

Reactions: Westcoaster

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven't driven my new car yet, but upon reading the PCM manual, I didn't see anywhere how the Voice Control could be used to Answer Phone Call, or End Phone Call. Can this be done, and has anyone tried this? Thx.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Haven't driven my new car yet, but upon reading the PCM manual, I didn't see anywhere how the Voice Control could be used to Answer Phone Call, or End Phone Call. Can this be done, and has anyone tried this? Thx.
I can answer or end a call with a single press of a button on the steering wheel... so having to press the button to activate voice control and then say something would take more effort.

To MAKE a call, you press the button and then say something like "Call Billy Mobile" and Bob's your uncle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can answer or end a call with a single press of a button on the steering wheel... so having to press the button to activate voice control and then say something would take more effort.

To MAKE a call, you press the button and then say something like "Call Billy Mobile" and Bob's your uncle.
When you say "press of a button on the steering wheel", do you have the multi-function steering wheel? I have the Sport Design wheel with no controls, so there's no buttons on my steering wheel. Thx.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
When you say "press of a button on the steering wheel", do you have the multi-function steering wheel? I have the Sport Design wheel with no controls, so there's no buttons on my steering wheel. Thx.
If you have the Sport Design wheel like me, I believe that you press the button on the stalk that has the Voice Control button on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I do. Heated, too! :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WW - OK, I get what you're saying; that's the real advantage of the multi function wheel. With my PDK car I couldn't live without the paddles.

Westcoaster, I'm aware of the stalk button that turns the Voice Control on; my question is once the Voice Control is on can you answer and hang up the phone calls by Voice Control? I ask because I didn't see anywhere in the manual where this is possible.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
WW - OK, I get what you're saying; that's the real advantage of the multi function wheel. With my PDK car I couldn't live without the paddles.

Westcoaster, I'm aware of the stalk button that turns the Voice Control on; my question is once the Voice Control is on can you answer and hang up the phone calls by Voice Control? I ask because I didn't see anywhere in the manual where this is possible.
I will try today and let you know...

·
Registered
4,682 Posts

Yeah... there's no way I'd give up the paddles for a PDK. The solution was not to get the PDK. ;)

Joking aside though... when you receive or are on a call, is there anything on the PCM to answer or end the call with one press? I haven't paid attention because I never needed to, but that's how it works on my Jeep and it also has voice control. To me, voice control is only useful if it saves you from doing multiple distracting actions. If you can accomplish the thing you want with one touch, then voice control would be a worse solution to the issue.

·
Noob
843 Posts
Voice control in Porsches (and most of the PCM) are a useless PoS. Maybe German engineers need to learn or adopt a thing or two from Silicon Valley engineers. Probably why they are now switching to Apple CarPlay, to remain relevant.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Voice control in Porsches (and most of the PCM) are a useless PoS. Maybe German engineers need to learn or adopt a thing or two from Silicon Valley engineers. Probably why they are now switching to Apple CarPlay, to remain relevant.
Don't hold back now, tell us what you really think! :hilarious:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts