Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching the Monday night game and going over some stuff...... With a good single malt. Whatever happens to the Saints??

Looking at the sticker I noticed a few things.

Sticker says on the upper left "built in Osnabrück".

ok.

On the right side it says "final assembly point: Stuttgart" ?

Also, 3% parts content US/Canada, 63% Germany, where is the rest coming from?

:taunt:

Later,
Andy

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I pretty sure the rest are built by elves who quit their jobs at the North Pole and now reside in the Bermuda triangle and who whittle away at the various components while gently humming Flight of the Valkyries. I also hear if you leave your keys under your pillow they will sometimes visit you at night and you will find your car with higher mileage in the garage the next morning.

Reactions: AndyA6

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
This sounds like a car with some real identity issues.

Watching the Monday night game and going over some stuff...... With a good single malt. Whatever happens to the Saints??

ok.

Later,
Andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
Rest = Japan

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
My understanding is the first year run was (2013 and 2014 models, built in 2012 and 2013) where assembled in Stuttgart. Everything past that was in other German plants. Why? Idk, but my guess is to cut costs or increase production due to higher demand. The parts are all the same...he only difference is where they part got put together. Honestly Look at videos of the Stuttgart plant...looks kinda cheap compared to other manufacturers...looks like stuff is done more by hand than machine.

·
Registered
196 Posts

ok.

Later,
Andy
if i had to guess without any research, i would guess Mexico.

*serious face*

·
Banned
3,875 Posts
I knew it.. its not 100 percent german..!!!

found a japanese part in my car... our headlight ballasts are japanese.!! and its a mitsubishi!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Single Malt sounds great. As far as the Saints go, that was supposed to happen, they were playing the RAVENS.:cheers:

Mexico, Japan, USA, Germany, whatever. It's a Global Vehicle.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Most of the other parts come from Hungary and France.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Also built in Osnabruk -- a plethora of Karman cars - cabrios for VW, Sciroccos, Karman Ghia (of course) and White 968's (go figgur) -- A fine place of origin with loads of heritage.
Capture.JPG

Cayman und Boxster aus Osnabrück - autobild.de

28/12/2010
Porsche from Osnabrück

The Porsche Cayman and Boxster models are to be built in Osnabrück future . The former Karmann plant steps in when in Zuffenhausen , the capacity is exceeded .

(AP / sb ) in the new Volkswagen plant in Osnabrück not just golf convertible to roll off the line , but also Porsche models . The manufacturer meet first preparations for the construction of the Boxster and Cayman models , said the spokesman for the management of the Osnabrück VW plant , Ludger Teeken , the "New Osnabrück newspaper " . If it were a so-called overflow production : Thus, the models will then be made ​​in Osnabrück , when the capacity of the main plant in Zuffenhausen have been exhausted. The production of the Golf starts at the beginning of the second quarter of 2011. By the end of 2012, 1,800 people in the Osnabrück VW factory work .
VW and Porsche
Volkswagen took over after the bankruptcy of his former Osnabrück supplier Karmann at the beginning of this year, large parts of the company. By late 2011 VW will have invested around 300 million euros in the site . Three quarters of them already had flowed , said the Osnabrück VW Chief Financial Officer Henning Jens . The former Karmann roof manufacturing in Osnabrück had gone to the Finnish automaker Valmet few weeks ago

·
Registered
738 Posts
Could someone explain this meme to me? Is Osnabruck a bad thing?
It's probably a good thing, given that Osnabruk is the newest factory line, it's likely to have the most modern facilities etc. This could mean that your car will have fewer quality issues.

For the purist, the only thing wrong with Osnabruk is that it's "not Valhalla" (I mean "Not Stuttgart" --even though other Porsche's have been built in Osnabruk before).

If you hear Wagner when you close your eyes, you may be concerned, For the rest of us, it's a non-issue.

misspiggyvalkyrie.png

Reactions: AndyA6

·
Registered
371 Posts
One problem that Porsche manufacturing has is that the Stuttgart , Zuffenhausen plant has a very small footprint. Its hard to expand the facilities there with out lots of disruption.

On the tour I took this fall the guide mentioned that in the 60's Porsche management thought of leaving Zuffenhausen and moving out of town. They decided not to when they realized that the workers would not have public transport to get to work.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Yeah, he's just kidding around but it's about played out now.
lol. It's only still amusing if you've got an S build. ;)

But yeah... the bottom line is that it doesn't matter. If not for the VIN number, there'd be nothing to tell one from the other. I made the graphic because I thought it was funny that the entire time I was planning for and then ordering my car, it was just assumed it would be an Osnabruck build. Then, out of the blue, I seem to have got one of the very first Stuttgart GTS's. So of course, from that moment on, Osnabruck cars aren't worth the sheet metal they're stamped from. It's just a running joke and this thread played right into it. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts