Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1186 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guess what’s a hot car? Yes, the GT4. Guess what car has waiting lists growing everywhere? Yes, the GT4. This thread is intended to hopefully provide some useful info for folks trying to get their paws on one like everyone else.

My personal status:

• I supposedly have a #1 slot at a premier dealership (same place I bought my GTS). There are already 4 people behind me.
  • I may have the #1 slot at a non-premier dealership, possibly #2. I didn’t get a call back until today, so I won’t have confirmation as to where I am with them today. I should’ve pestered them more yesterday!
Neither dealership allows existing GT program customers to cut in line. Neither dealership is marking up the car (though neither will offer a discount).

Allocation expectations:
This is a GT program car, in which production is limited due to capacity and to keep the cars desirable. There is a per-day limit as to how many cars can be produced. The GT4 will presumably be made is smaller volumes than the GT3. My thought is there will one 981 GT4 built for every two 991 GT3s built. This is only a guess. If anyone can provide solid info on this, that'd be useful in helping to set everyone's expectations.

I asked both dealers I’m working with how many 991 GT3 allocations they’ve received so far, to set my own expectations as to how frequent they’ll get one.

• The Premier dealership has so far sold six 991 GT3s. They got their first allocation within the first few draws.
  • The non-Premier dealership has so far sold two 991 GT3s. They didn’t even get a 2014 allocation, only 2015s. Ouch.
Both dealers agree that no dealers will be allocation trading. They also both agreed that CA, FL and TX dealers will, as usual, likely be getting priority.

The expectation is the first allocations draws will be in March, which is what will be required to ensure July deliveries.

------

If you want to help out, the following info is probably the most useful, though this is open to suggestions:

• Your position in the queue
  • Whether or not the dealership is a Premier dealership
  • Whether or not the dealership allows existing GT program (or other favorite customers) to cut in line
  • How many 991 GT3s the dealership has already sold
  • Whether or not the dealership will be marking the car up over MSRP
Again, hoping this thread proves useful for prospective GT4 buyers. Please don't name or shame dealerships.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. First on 2 dealers' lists - one where I bought my GTS (premier dealer) and one where I bought my S and 50th (non-premier). The premier dealer told me that they were talking one GT4 for every 918, and that 918 buyers have first dibs. If the 918 buyer doesn't want his car, it goes "back into the hopper", whatever that means. If a 918 buyer takes the car with plans of selling it right away, they must wait 6 months to do so, or they lose their preferred status which gives them first dibs on anything new and rare. My hope is that the preferred dealer can work something out - they've sold 9 or 10 918's so there should be some luck there. I'm trying to keep cool as it is "just a car" and I do have a GTS in the garage with 12 miles on it:) It looks like this GT4 is going to be tough to obtain.

• Your position in the queue (1st at 2 dealerships; 1 premier, one not)
  • Whether or not the dealership is a Premier dealership ^^^
  • Whether or not the dealership allows existing GT program (or other favorite customers) to cut in line (I believe that they do at the premier dealership)
  • How many 991 GT3s the dealership has already sold (premier = don't know; non-premier = 2)
  • Whether or not the dealership will be marking the car up over MSRP (neither dealership will do this)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm number 5 at the dealer where I've purchased my GTS

Your position in the queue -- 5
Whether or not the dealership is a Premier dealership -- Yes
Whether or not the dealership allows existing GT program (or other favorite customers) to cut in line -- ?
How many 991 GT3s the dealership has already sold -- ?
Whether or not the dealership will be marking the car up over MSRP -- NO

·
Registered
18 Posts
My position in the queue -- 5
Whether or not the dealership is a Premier dealership -- Yes
Whether or not the dealership allows existing GT program (or other favorite customers) to cut in line -- ?
How many 991 GT3s the dealership has already sold -- ?
Whether or not the dealership will be marking the car up over MSRP -- NO

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Hmm... if I put down a deposit to secure an allocation... I wonder if I could then sell that allocation on eBay? :D

·
Administrator
34,418 Posts
After talking with some of our sponsors here is what I know.

1) Yes lots of interest in the GT4
2) Those who have 918s on order (or delivered) get first crack at GT4 (that's about 200-225 people in the US) Letters went out to these people asking if they want a GT4
3) Once 918 owners have their pick the remaining allocation will go to the dealers based on what they sell, for example if there were 100 cars and some dealer sells 3% they'd get 3 cars.
4) Dealers hope to have their allocation prior to the launch at Geneva (so within a month)
5) Some dealers are taking deposits or creating lists, others are not.

Happy to Help!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Your position in the queue - 3
Whether or not the dealership is a Premier dealership - ?
Whether or not the dealership allows existing GT program (or other favorite customers) to cut in line - ?
How many 991 GT3s the dealership has already sold - ?
Whether or not the dealership will be marking the car up over MSRP - NO

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm #3 in line at a premier dealership. They have moved my deposit from my original CGTS order to go towards the GT4. I'm not sure if they allow other GT owners/favorite customers to cut in line, but I do know they've sold a few 991 GT3's...probably around 10. I highly doubt my dealer will mark it up above MSRP....they seem to be pretty "straight shooters".

·
Registered
186 Posts
So after taking my GTS in for a minor pre-delivery repair today, I asked some questions about the GT4. This is the story that I got. Who knows how accurate it is...

Corporate just came in yesterday to talk to them about the car. The GT4 is limited to 700 units, and 918 owners get first pick. Whatever's left will be allocated to dealerships. They will be trying to put a markup on them because of the limited production, potentially in the tens of thousands. They do not yet have any allocations.

The general manager has my name and number, so we will see if I get a call. Surprisingly, they did not have any sort of queue started, so I guess I'm #1. As far as purchase prices go, they're pretty firm (pricey) as I was "lucky" to get MSRP for my GTS as that is the best deal that they do, including friends and family. I would expect them to try to put a large markup on the GT4 if it is truly a limited production vehicle.

• Your position in the queue - #1
  • Whether or not the dealership is a Premier dealership - No
  • Whether or not the dealership allows existing GT program (or other favorite customers) to cut in line - Yes, according to this dealership this is not up to them
  • How many 991 GT3s the dealership has already sold - Not sure
  • Whether or not the dealership will be marking the car up over MSRP - Most likely yes

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
I am on the list, not sure which position but not #1. It is a Premier dealership and I expect them to charge MSRP with maybe $1000 off at most (if they add markup, I think PCNA may revoke their premier status). And people who have 918s have first dips.

I will see when I would get a build slot. I can wait, although it would be nice to get to do another Leipzig delivery :D.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Just a thought... reflecting on all the comments about "us" GTS customers getting screwed... there may not be very many GT4's for the "general" public or for the number of Planet-9 faithful that want them. Now, that is what I called getting screwed! IMO.
D

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am on the list, not sure which position but not #1. It is a Premier dealership and I expect them to charge MSRP with maybe $1000 off at most (if they add markup, I think PCNA may revoke their premier status). And people who have 918s have first dips.

I will see when I would get a build slot. I can wait, although it would be nice to get to do another Leipzig delivery :D.
I'm not expecting Premier dealers to charge over MSRP, but they will probably go for exactly MSRP. I'm not expecting any wiggle room on price.

·
3,273 Posts
I'm not expecting Premier dealers to charge over MSRP, but they will probably go for exactly MSRP. I'm not expecting any wiggle room on price.
Agreed. My local dealer before being sold to Autonation used to give a "friendly <corporation> rebate" of $1000 off MSRP on new builds. Maybe they will do the same, although at this point, I will be happy if I get an allocation with a Leipzig Euro delivery.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Stopped by Bellevue Porsche (aka Barrier) after work today just to see what kind of tradein I might get on my CGTS towards a GT4 purchase. The SA who sold me my CGTS says 12 people already put deposits down and he won't know how many allocations they'll have until probably March. So for now I'm just going to enjoy my CGTS.

·
3,273 Posts
Stopped by Bellevue Porsche (aka Barrier) after work today just to see what kind of tradein I might get on my CGTS towards a GT4 purchase. The SA who sold me my CGTS says 12 people already put deposits down and he won't know how many allocations they'll have until probably March. So for now I'm just going to enjoy my CGTS.
Sorry man ;) But I don't know where among the 12 I am... And remember, there are a couple of 918 people too...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ordering GT4 (putting a deposit)

I haven't posted much on this forum. I bought a Cayman S last year, kept it for 6 months then sold it for a 13 SRT Viper. I know i know, completely opposite spectrum. I was a little bored with Cayman S. It was a PDK with base suspension. I believe, if I bought a GTS, I would've been perfectly happy.

Now that GT4 has been introduced, I think this will be a perfect car for me. So I stopped at my dealer where I bought my previous Cayman from, Hennessy Porsche in Alpharetta GA. My salesman pretty much told me that to keep my eyesight somewhere as I am not going to get one, at least through them. According to him, GT4 will be more rare then the RS models.

918 Owners will get first picks (which we all know) and then their best customers will be next. Apparently, in order to be a best customer at Hennessy Porsche, you need to buy 15-20 Porsche previously. I was infuriated to say the least.

Started calling few dealers around the country, some dealers are saying there will be only 200 slotted for US, some saying 600 and others saying more.

So what's the deal here? Will it be that rare of a car? I say no but what do I know, I am not the best customer apparently.

I did find a dealer and placed my deposit today, I am #2 in line. The process was frustrating .

·
Registered
797 Posts
Re: Ordering GT4 (putting a deposit)

I doubt it will be as rare as an RS car. I think there is a lot of hype around the GT4 as it just came out but I really don't know if they will be as hard to obtain as we all think. As previously discussed, it's a very niche car and will be bought by a very discerning crowd. Also a lot of people that wanted the top of the line 981 just bought the relatively recently released GTS, and I'm sure a lot will want to upgrade but practically do not trade in their new GTS. Also I feel this site along with others offers a skewed view because everyone on these forums are real enthusiasts and even then only a handful of people are seriously considering the trade up. This is like the craziness that happened when the GTS came out. Yes there are more GTS cars than they will allocate for the GT4, but again the GT4 is a more specialized machine. As someone eloquently put it: GTS is street car that you can track; GT4 is a track car you can use on the street.

Those factors taken into consideration, I'm sure you will find an allocation if you call around and if necessary give it a little time for the dust to settle.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
34,418 Posts
I'm guessing they most 918 guys will not get a GT4 and those that do will likely resell them within a year because they will be toys compared to the 918 and other cars they have. If allocation is truly 700 (I've heard different numbers) then I'd suspect 650-675 available to non 918 buyers.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I doubt it will be as rare as an RS car.
Agreed. They'll make as many as they can sell, with the ultimate constraint being production capacity and the GT program's per-day production limit. Though I feel the current lists are probably a year of production, if not a bit more.

The GT4 helps to further amortize existing GT program costs, and is using a normal engine where the costs aren't much higher than the 3.4L. There's still a healthy margin in the car despite some custom bits, some of which I'm sure will be also shared by the upcoming "hotter-than-GTS-but-not-on-par-with-GT4 Boxster". So this isn't a "thank you, customers" car. It's here to make the 981 platform even more profitable.

The GT4 makes the idea of spending ~$100,000 on a 981-platform car go from "crazy" to "reasonable". For Porsche, that's Mission Accomplished.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Really, I'm in no hurry to get a car as my GTS is fantastic. But, if it becomes an "impossible to get" situation then I will be glad to have secured an allocation. Ideally, my allocation will be delayed enough to perhaps be able to choose PTS option and if PDK ever becomes available. So, if the dealer says "your car will be a late allocation, a 2017 build". I will say great! Just so I get one.

As a marketing guy I really admire how Porsche does these things. They build a super cool car and intentionally make it difficult to get. Insiders like you and me will get one. But, the average Joe who reads the articles and watches the videos reviews will walk into the dealership, be told their sold out, and then choose the next best alternative on the lot.

Thanks to everyone who has provided some feedback on what their dealer is saying about allocations. My dealer said that he has put an order in for me, provided me with an order number, but that no allocations have been assigned to him or anyone yet.

1 - 20 of 1186 Posts