Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running 14-15 track days/year in 06 Cayman S w/stock engine but do have PASM DSC upgrade, GT3 control arms, Tarrett toe links, ERP pucks, WEVO SS transmission mount. Also LN deep sump, GT3 euro seats, DMC harness bar and 6-point Schroth harnesses. I still drive to the track, trying to avoid a trailer. Switched to Bridgestone RE-11 tires 2 years ago and have been happy with wear (10 -12 days) and performance. However, they've introduced their new RE-71R which looks interesting but not in stock 235/35-19 and 265/35-19 sizes. They do have 275/35-19 for the rear which is 26.6 vs. 26.3 diameter, but fo the front they only offer 225/35-19 (diameter is Ok, 25.2 vs 25.5 but gives up section width) or 245/40-19 which has a diameter of 26.7 (just short of 5% difference but actually larger than the front diameter).

Looking for ideas and opinions as to whether it's worth trying RE-71R, and if so, what sizing to go with. Would like to decide in the next couple days and order before their spring promo ends.

Thanks for the help,
Dennis

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I have a set of RE-71R on order in the size of 255/35R19 and 275/35R19 for my 981 BS. I think this size will fit on previous model year too but not 100% certain.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I'm curious. Did you ever try the RE71s?
I decided to stick with RE-11's for now because I was concerned about the impact of changing the size ratios. This will be my 3rd set of RE-11's and I've been very happy with the wear (have been getting 10-12 track days + daily driving) and their performance for DE.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have a set of RE-71R on order in the size of 255/35R19 and 275/35R19 for my 981 BS. I think this size will fit on previous model year too but not 100% certain.

I believe the 981 Boxster/Cayman comes with different OEM sizing. I see that you jumped to 255/35R19 in front which actually has a smaller diameter than the 245/40R19. Hadn't thought about that option. It will provide less of a stagger front to rear, with larger tread width both front and rear, but closer to the stock ratio so it shouldn't screw up the electronics. Let me know if you have any clearance issues or mounting issues (it shows the rim width range as 8.5-10" and my factory rims are 8").

I'll be very interested to hear how you like the RE-71R. What tires are you running now and/or previously?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I decided to stick with RE-11's for now because I was concerned about the impact of changing the size ratios. This will be my 3rd set of RE-11's and I've been very happy with the wear (have been getting 10-12 track days + daily driving) and their performance for DE.
Yeah I run the RE11 as well - it's an excellent tire. But the RE71Rs and the Rival S's are even faster. The 255/275 combo is interesting - you can do that on 18s as well, but I suspect a roll couple with a stronger front bias would be in order, not to mention more roll stiffness in general. Seems like camber would be more critical as well, with all that tire stuffed on the OEM width wheels.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I believe the 981 Boxster/Cayman comes with different OEM sizing. I see that you jumped to 255/35R19 in front which actually has a smaller diameter than the 245/40R19. Hadn't thought about that option. It will provide less of a stagger front to rear, with larger tread width both front and rear, but closer to the stock ratio so it shouldn't screw up the electronics. Let me know if you have any clearance issues or mounting issues (it shows the rim width range as 8.5-10" and my factory rims are 8").

I'll be very interested to hear how you like the RE-71R. What tires are you running now and/or previously?
Previous tires size that I used was 235/40R18 & 265/40R18 then 245/40R18 & 275/40R18. Another member SBEL just ordered the same wheels (OZ) and tires (RE-71R) as me, his will come in a few days and my will come end of July because I am waiting for the black. The size is 255/35R19 & 275/35R19. I asked him to give some feedback once he has them on.

@@ [email protected] - Waiting for the order is killing me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here's what I went with to put RE-71R tires on a '15 CGTS:

Front: 18x8 wheels, 245/40R18 tires.
Rear: 19x9.5 wheels, 275/35R19 tires.

This gives the magic 3% diameter differential front-to-rear and the same-as-stock 30mm width difference front-to-rear.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had a chance to drive them in our testing and they are very sticky. My track part was in the wet and they even handled that well for an Extreme Performance tire. If I can help let me know.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Front: 255/35R18 on 8x18 wheels (OEM offset)
Rear: 275/35R18 on 9x18 wheels (OEM offset)

I'm running these size RE-71R on my 2010 Boxster S with great results. It's a bit over-tired in the front, but the RE-71R has a really stiff side-wall and takes over-tiring well. (ZII/ZII* do, too.) The combination yields rake virtually identical to OEM rake (less than the difference between new & worn tires). I've run this size for the last year with RE-71R, ZII & ZII*, too: no issues with rubbing, ice mode or PSM. I'm really happy with the way my car handles on these size tires. As to the tires themselves, check out Grassroots Motorsports tire test articles (track testing this month, autocross testing last month). I REALLY liked ZII*, and RE-71R didn't really feel any faster by seat-of-the-pants feel, but were noticeably quicker in my time slips. Wet performance is amazing, too: the running joke is that Rival S will have you seeing Jesus, and RE-71R will have you seeing Moses. One driver said anecdotally that his launches with RE-71R were 0.1sec quicker in the wet than last year's Rival in the dry! They're also absolutely fantastic on the road; I worry about wear, but RE-71R are the best street tire I've ever driven. Which is saying a lot, as I LOVED the ZII*. RE-71R handle heat very well; I spray when they get almost too hot to touch, but some people don't spray at all. Not sure about cold as I haven't had a chance to drive them in cold weather yet, but performance from mid 60s to too-hot-to-touch is very consistent.

Jim: when's the new Tirerack RE-71R/RivalS/ZII*/R-S3 test going to be published?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Front: 255/35R18 on 8x18 wheels (OEM offset)
Rear: 275/35R18 on 9x18 wheels (OEM offset)

I'm running these size RE-71R on my 2010 Boxster S with great results. It's a bit over-tired in the front, but the RE-71R has a really stiff side-wall and takes over-tiring well. (ZII/ZII* do, too.) The combination yields rake virtually identical to OEM rake (less than the difference between new & worn tires). I've run this size for the last year with RE-71R, ZII & ZII*, too: no issues with rubbing, ice mode or PSM. I'm really happy with the way my car handles on these size tires. As to the tires themselves, check out Grassroots Motorsports tire test articles (track testing this month, autocross testing last month). I REALLY liked ZII*, and RE-71R didn't really feel any faster by seat-of-the-pants feel, but were noticeably quicker in my time slips. Wet performance is amazing, too: the running joke is that Rival S will have you seeing Jesus, and RE-71R will have you seeing Moses. One driver said anecdotally that his launches with RE-71R were 0.1sec quicker in the wet than last year's Rival in the dry! They're also absolutely fantastic on the road; I worry about wear, but RE-71R are the best street tire I've ever driven. Which is saying a lot, as I LOVED the ZII*. RE-71R handle heat very well; I spray when they get almost too hot to touch, but some people don't spray at all. Not sure about cold as I haven't had a chance to drive them in cold weather yet, but performance from mid 60s to too-hot-to-touch is very consistent.

Jim: when's the new Tirerack RE-71R/RivalS/ZII*/R-S3 test going to be published?

Thanks for the feedback. I run 19's, but hopefully the same stagger would work for me as well. Perhaps Tire Rack or Bridgestone can answer that one.

Just installed my third set of RE-11's, so I'll be all set until next Spring, but will be considering stepping up to RE-11R or Michelin Sport Cup 2 at that time. Would love to hear from anyone who has experience with both, particularly as it relates to wear on the track. People I speak with about Sport Cup 2 running on GT3's or Carreras love the performance but say they get only about 6 days or so, while I got 14 on my last set of RE-11's. Of course, by next year there will be GT4's running on the Sport Cup 2 so that will provide more comparable data.

·
Registered
786 Posts
That is the difference between an actual R compound (Cup 2) and the Extreme Performance street tire. You will get longer tread out of the Extreme but the R compound tires are just going to give you the next step up in handling.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm running RE-71R in 245/40-19 and 275/35-19. We've just done one Pro solo on them so far and they seemed to work well. We'll be taking them out on track later in the year. This is on a 2015, so I don't know if they'd fit for you.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I would go with 245/35R19 and 275/35R19. The heights are much better.
They probably would be, but I'd been using those sizes previously (as they're the only ones available in Dunlop ZII), and I wanted to change one thing at once. If they could fit, I'd think about 255/35-19 and 285/35-19 for RE-71R, they're about the same ratio as stock, slightly smaller diameter. I'm not sure there is 5mm more clearance on the outside. I'm pretty sure there is lots of clearance on the inside of the back, I'm not sure about the front.

·
Registered
193 Posts
According to Tire Rack the RE-71Rs are now available in the stock 19" sizes for the 987 series Boxster/Cayman. Assuming they are wear rated the same as other sizes of the tire, it will be possible to run both Street classes at SCCA Solo events and Stock at PCA autocrosses. It was also noted that the prices of Sport Cup 2s have dropped. Anyone have an idea of how the RE-71R and Sport Cup 2 compare?

·
Registered
262 Posts
As noted above the two tires are quite different. Cup 2s are going to be stickier and wear faster on the track. Brilliant tire for a drive and ride track car with weekend road use. Looking like an expensive habit!

I had my eye on the new bridgestones as a nice compromise but if the cup 2s are coming down in cost, well I might be able to dig up some sort of rationalization ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
262 Posts
Also, the re-71r tires are symmetrical where the cup2 tires are not. If you scrub off the outside edge with the re-71r you can remount them side to side. I've done that with ad08r tires quite a bit.. With the cup2s the inside blocks are a different compound that will stand up to stream driving better.

In the 19" cup2s are down to 1500 a set, vs 1200 for re-71r which will last longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 20 of 43 Posts