Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Zone 1 Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I replaced the plugs, serpentine belt, air filter and changed the oil. Today, about a mile and a half down the road I was sitting at a light and a warning for a failure of the engine compartment fan came on. The engine temperature was fine. I pulled over and shut it off. The fan that vents out the right side of the engine bay was running, putting out warm air and would not shut off. I drove it home and the same thing happened. I disconnected the battery to prevent the fan from draining everything down. A few questions:

Any thoughts on what I may have jostled while changing things out?

Where is the temperature sensor for the engine compartment?

Is there a second fan?

Thanks,

Road Runner

·
On Probation
582 Posts
did you have any probs. before ? car just out of storage ? i think the sensor is around one of the intake runners,double check your work for pinched ,discoed wiring

·
Zone 1 Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appears to be OK after

I get home thinking, no problem, pull the engine cover, fix what's wrong. Remember when I mentioned disconnecting the battery, well I didn't mention that out of habit I closed the hood. Oops, get out the manual, follow the instructions, power it up from the wife's car. (If you haven't done this I suggest you try it. My wife's jumper cables (Mine were under the hood:crazy:) would not reach between the positive terminal and the door latch. Used a coat hanger as an extender. Get the hood open and then the rear hatch.

I open the engine compartment and find the sensor on the passenger side between the rear two intake runners. Everything seemed fine but I took the sensor out, cleaned it up and put it back together after removing a leaf that had found its way below the sensor. Button everything back together. Take it out for a ride and everything is fine. Possible reasons:

1. Leaf was blocking airflow around the sensor.
2. Water from rinsing the engine down caused some related problem and had dried up after running the car this morning.
3. Sensor connection had gotten knocked loose and resetting thing solved the problem.

I'm inclined to thinking it was either 1 or 2. But for the moment I'm happy. We'll see how it goes in the morning.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts