Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled into these two (apparent) common issues on the 981. From which I can understand, until this day there doesn't seem to be any upgrade parts that solves these problems.

Is this something that has been cleared out in the 718-series?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to hear. Let's hope Porsche has made some improvements on the design. Also wondering how widespread these problems seem to be. Forums are a great way to share experiences and info, but sometimes it's difficult to put it in perspective.

· Registered
2,217 Posts
Its a very well known problem for years now on both the 981 and 991 models and even the Macan. A Google search of "Porsche headlight crazing" or "Porsche warped door panels" will bring up a multitude of discussions and images across several forums including this one

I haven't seen anything reported on the 718 models yet though, so hopefully Porsche finally owned the issue and did something to stop it. The incoming 981/991 took about 3 years to start seeing the issue on those cars, so we are just now getting to that same timeline for the 718 so time will tell.

· Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2014 CS - both of these have been fixed under certified warranty. Both headlights had this two years ago, and had warping panels just the past spring. In both cases, took the car to the dealer and everything taken care of with no fuss. Without the certified warranty - it wouldn't be cheap. My warranty just expired this month, so I was fortunate with the door panel this past spring.

Have not see much with the 718 though like ICNU said we are just approaching the time when these started appearing with the 981.

· Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2014 CS - both of these have been fixed under certified warranty. Both headlights had this two years ago, and had warping panels just the past spring. In both cases, took the car to the dealer and everything taken care of with no fuss. Without the certified warranty - it wouldn't be cheap. My warranty just expired this month, so I was fortunate with the door panel this past spring.

Have not see much with the 718 though like ICNU said we are just approaching the time when these started appearing with the 981.
I have the same car but the dealer would only replace the door panels with the certified warranty. Has anyone else had luck at the dealer with the head lights?

· Registered
1 Posts

Do you have pics you can share? I notice something odd about my door panels and it would be helpful to see if this matches the issue you’re talking about. Thx.

· Registered
112 Posts
This is is a photo of the door panel warp on my 2014 981. The dealer replaced both door panels under warranty and indicated the replacements were modified to address the warping. This is the non-leather panel. I have not seen this on my 2018 982 nor have I heard of any instances of door warping. The door panels are leather on my 982.

Car Vehicle Floor Architecture Vehicle door

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@ArchiProf Do you remember in what year you got the replacement? I've read a lot of comments where people also had the same problem as you on the 981, but often they say that there was no adjustment made to the new panels to prevent them from warping again. Do you know which improvement was made, according to your dealer?

· Registered
112 Posts
@Snorkel It was 20 December 2017. The driver's side door was severely warped but the passenger door was not warped at all. However, the dealer replaced both under warranty since he knew the other would eventually fail. If I recall correctly, he said Porsche made improvements to the plastic structural webbing and reinforcement system. I did not see the removed panels so I am not completely clear on the details.

· Registered
31 Posts
I bought my 2013 981 Boxster as a CPO in 2015. Both door panel tops warped, and were replaced under warranty in 2016. One headlight delaminated and was replaced in 2016 as well, and recently I noticed the other headlight is delaminating as well. I asked the Porsche dealer, and they said they would not replace it, as the CPO expired in Aug 2019... I just noticed one of the door panels is again warping as well. The entire time the car was under CPO, the dealer said "as long as we notate on your records that there is any issue, we can get Porsche to fix it even after the CPO is expired" - which clearly isn't the case. Very disappointing - this is how Lexus ultimately steals the show from the Europeans...

And - my car currently has 38k miles, has always been garaged, never been in a car wash, never been polished with any buffer, and rarely driven in the rain...

· Registered
2017 Cayman S
78 Posts
Its a very well known problem for years now on both the 981 and 991 models and even the Macan. A Google search of "Porsche headlight crazing" or "Porsche warped door panels" will bring up a multitude of discussions and images across several forums including this one

I haven't seen anything reported on the 718 models yet though, so hopefully Porsche finally owned the issue and did something to stop it. The incoming 981/991 took about 3 years to start seeing the issue on those cars, so we are just now getting to that same timeline for the 718 so time will tell.
Porsche replaced the right side 3 months ago and now the left side is burnt, and they will replace it in July . 2017 Cayman S 37,000 miles~

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.