Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy an exhaust system but my dealer is being such a ***** with my warranty.

I thought when you buy an exhaust for example, only the exhaust should be not covered under warranty, not the damn transmission or A/C.

Is there someone @ Porsche HQ that I can email to discuss this matter further?

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
It all depends on the relationship with your dealer. The dealer has the right to void your warranty for unrelated reasons in certain countries, but some dealers even recommend tuners! (quietly)

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dealer says they have a circular from Porsche HQ that no dealer in the world can allow mods.

I asked why do porsche owners in US/UK mod with no warranty issues and it's ok? He says it's impossible.

I just want to email someone to make sure!

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
HQ is being a pain with the same circular here, BUT the dealers are generally a bit smarter and dont want to loose customers!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
They are pretty friendly here... Depending on what you do. They even offered to install an exhaust if I got one!

·
Registered
992 Posts
They are pretty friendly here... Depending on what you do. They even offered to install an exhaust if I got one!
Ditto. Why not have a shop install the exhaust? I can't imagine you going into the dealership that often anyway. If you encounter a problem just swap it out to stock.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Doc, as I told you before dealers here in the region will do what they like regardless of what they can do and in this case to make sure you buy the PSE from them they will tell you that you can't buy from anyone else.
Here in the ME even a Nissan dealer will void your warranty for fitting a different head unit if they want to and there is little you can do about it.

Porsche introduced a plan for upto 10 years full warranty extension, and so in order to meet their criteria for that you need to keep your car as stock, which is understandable. They cannot tell what mods may do to your car long term, so why should they risk it.

Porsche Middle East especially have been enforcing this by forcing dealers to get rid of their tuning part of their business where applicable.

I can give you a contact for the After Sales Manager at Porsche Middle East, but he will tell you exactly the same as the above, and they will not budge.....trust me I tried.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
My dealer would not install aftermarket exhaust for me:eek:(I asked politely),but would not come out and say this would void my warranty if I chose to do so.:taunt: I decided to stay stock for now and added PSE at the dealership before picking up my custom order. (What was that Mr Barnum said years ago.............hmmm?) I guess I'm the one he was referring to.:hilarious: Nonetheless, I'm totally happy and since I don't track my car 320 ponies will have to do for now.:burnout:

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Warranty or the lack of them - a subject near and dear to me personally and one which has no true and solid answers.
Dealers vary and PCNA is of no help at all.
It would seem to make sense that the part you change would not be covered - fine but you would think the parts of the car unrelated to your change would still be covered. Sadly this is not the mind set of Porsche land.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I would say this kind of thing is always a gentleman's agreement with the dealer. No written doc will support it, but good dealers will help out. However, as I understand, it is perfectly legal for them to deny mods!

·
Registered
160 Posts
my experience is that if you work with the dealer that sold and serviced the car that they will work with you on covering warranty failures more easily for you....that if the only day you ever show up is when you want something you thing should be fixed under warranty...
also if I were a manufacturer I would be leary of supporting modified cars....if you change one part...such a change may impact the rest of the system...in a subtle manner....that only becomes important after time has passed...

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Spoken like a true prophet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In the USA the law is on your side. Check out the magnuson-moss warranty act.

Basically, it says that the dealer/manufacturer must prove that the modification you made is what caused the failure. So, if you put on an exhaust and wheel bearing fails, they would have a fairly difficult time justifying not honoring the warranty.

These are the same laws that prevent them from saying you have to buy Porsche oil from the Porsche dealer in order to retain your warranty.

This isn't to say they can't make things difficult for you - but if you are willing to pursue and take legal action, they are the ones with the burden of proof on them.

More reading
Warranty and Aftermarket Parts

·
Registered
160 Posts
The law may be on your side...but don't forget to factor in legal expense, time lost...I suspect it might ultimately be cheaper and faster to give the dealer service guys some business....assuming that they are good....and reasonable folks....not that I am trying to take legal work away from my fellow lawyers....

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
That's exactly the problem I had; further complicated by being an out of state dealer so my local lawyer couldn't represent me.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
In the USA the law is on your side. Check out the magnuson-moss warranty act.

Basically, it says that the dealer/manufacturer must prove that the modification you made is what caused the failure. So, if you put on an exhaust and wheel bearing fails, they would have a fairly difficult time justifying not honoring the warranty.

These are the same laws that prevent them from saying you have to buy Porsche oil from the Porsche dealer in order to retain your warranty.

This isn't to say they can't make things difficult for you - but if you are willing to pursue and take legal action, they are the ones with the burden of proof on them.

More reading
Warranty and Aftermarket Parts
I have ran 3 differant catbacks and am running a Borla now with 3.8 intake as well as an IPD plenum. did all mods myself and just took it in and they had to replace 02 sensors no problems but again a good relation ship makes it easier. My wifes boxster had a oil/brake fluid change last week and when I got home puled cap off and found choclate milk and a good deal of condensation on the cap it goes in this Monday no mods on hers at all and they did the work curious as to the outcome on this one it is a 1st. Work done at Momentum Porsche.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Has anyone researched how much a Porsche warranty actually pays off on the average? In other words, how much money is it costing you just to have mods? I suspect the average cost of the mods far exceed an average warranty payback over its life time. Another way of putting it, are the mods worth the cost of self warranty? My local speed shop does excellent work and doesn't complain about mods. If I keep records of the car's proper maintenance, it shouldn't effect resale or trade in value as long as any mods are attractive to the buyer. It's almost worth dumping the warranty not to have the hassle of dealing with dealerships! I have the new A91 engine and a PDK trans. which should be very trouble free. Any other maintenance/repair issues are affordable IMO. There's a remarkable sense of freedom in actually owning your car without being in fear of a dealer's arbitrary judgment about what is or is not covered, etc. I have made two warranty claims with Porsche on punctured tires which were covered under a separate tire/wheel insurance policy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The law may be on your side...but don't forget to factor in legal expense, time lost...I suspect it might ultimately be cheaper and faster to give the dealer service guys some business....assuming that they are good....and reasonable folks....not that I am trying to take legal work away from my fellow lawyers....
I guess I could have said it better but the point really is, going in with knowledge that the law is on your side is a huge advantage even without having to go down the legal action road. Generally, once an unscrupulous dealership employee knows you can call his bluff & possibly ruin *his* day with a few well placed complaints, he's less likely to bluff.

If he is telling you that the warranty will be voided (when legally it can not be) because he simply doesn't know any better, he *needs* to be educated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts