Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bumping this thread, does the revised part seem to be holding up better? Mine just broke at the same point noted in this thread for a second time, about a year ago had it replaced under warranty, I do use the frunk often...

·
Registered
493 Posts
I don't see anything revised about the replacement I installed a few months ago. The original lasted 5 years of daily driving, opening the frunk several times a week, in hot as well as sub-freezing temperatures, before it failed. I think the price was less than $16, and took minutes to install, so I don't think it is something to worry too much about. Agreed, it shouldn't fail, and it sounds like your luck was worse than mine, but maybe the you will have better luck with the next one. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reviving this thread with info. I just picked up a new tube from Porsche about two months ago. The parts guy went to the back and found that there was a new version and he made sure I got the newest one. He said that Porsche is aware of the issue and is still trying to correct it with the new revisions. I have not put the new one on yet so I cannot give you any longevity report.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Could someone please check their vehicle for me and tell me if the washer fluid hose is routed the same way on their car? This is a picture of the left side of the car with the frunk open. You can see the hose in the picture that has broken off. It comes up from behind the moulding near the hinge at an awkward angle and then goes into the slot in the black bracket at the top left of the image (which is attached to the hood). To me this looks like it was begging to break off with repeated openings of the frunk (which it did) despite the ribbed/flexible area shown.

I'd like to know if mine was installed incorrectly from the factory, or if this is just a poor design and I'll need to make modifications to it once Porsche fixes it. Thanks.

View attachment 159610
Mine has not sheared off yet (2013), but is showing signs of fatigue

You can see the amount of stress this thing gets (this is it with the cover removed:

Just a suggestion for when it does go, a good quick fix might be electrical heat shrink? I know one of the posters below used tubing
Capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG
and a heat gun, I wonder if heatshrink would hold permanently but it might be worth keeping a length in the car with a lighter. I reinforced mine with some gorilla tape and will hope for the best.

·
Registered
528 Posts
There is another thread on this somewhere. In that thread, the suggestion was to go to your local home improvement store and get about 2" of 1/4" ID clear vinyl hose. (I believe that was the size, fit was snug but not difficult to slide on). I went that way about a year ago. It's been working fine. Fix was about 50 cents and took 5 min.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is like that also. Long ago I noticed it and also thought it was only a matter of time that it would break, since it seems highly stressed when you open the hood. So far it hasn't broken, but I believe it will.
Hi All
I went to Lordco and spent 98cents on an 14 inch hose that I used as an extension. I just stuffed each end of the broken hose into the extension. Works fine.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi All
I went to Lordco and spent 98cents on an 14 inch hose that I used as an extension. I just stuffed each end of the broken hose into the extension. Works fine.
Pics of the final result?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts