Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I washed my Boxster for the first time this evening. It has the keyless entry, "Porsche Entry and Drive", feature where you can just waive your hand at the frunk / trunk and it will automatically open. Well, it turns out the system can be fooled by a stream of water from a hose. While I was spraying the back end I was surprised to see the trunk open up! Did the same on the front end. I had to put my key inside the car to keep them from opening.

I know the keyless entry is a relatively new feature on the Boxster/Cayman, figured I'd mention it so it can be added to the collective consciousness. Anybody else had this happen to them?

·
Registered
248 Posts
So I washed my Boxster for the first time this evening. It has the keyless entry, "Porsche Entry and Drive", feature where you can just waive your hand at the frunk / trunk and it will automatically open. Well, it turns out the system can be fooled by a stream of water from a hose. While I was spraying the back end I was surprised to see the trunk open up! Did the same on the front end. I had to put my key inside the car to keep them from opening.

I know the keyless entry is a relatively new feature on the Boxster/Cayman, figured I'd mention it so it can be added to the collective consciousness. Anybody else had this happen to them?
have keyless entry too, havent noticed this happen when i jet wash the car, however it does happen when i dry the car - so effectively i resort to keeping the key at a distance - easy fix :)

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Yep, same thing happened with mine. I ended up taking the key out of my pocket and putting it in the garage while I washed the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yep...experience this too...with the Boxster and Audi A4. Doors lock/unlock when you spray with a hose and have the key in your pocket...the price one pays for convenience m

·
Registered
537 Posts
As time goes on, I become less and less enamored with the new whiz-bang "convenience" electronics. I'm starting to appreciate crank windows and radios with only two knobs...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm still really happy with the keyless entry portion for the doors. I kinda wish there was a lock button on the rear / front, but its pretty easy to deal with. The carwash trick will end up being more of an amusement more than an annoyance. Now if I'd managed to spray a bunch of water inside then I might have been more annoyed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm used to putting the key in the car during washing after owning a couple of BMWs which locked/unlocked and flashed the lights when sprayed. Since this is my 3rd car with comfort access or Entry & Drive in Porsche speak you can tell I like the convenience.

·
Registered
747 Posts
What cracks me up about Porsche's key-less entry is you still turn a key to start it. Its just that the key stays in the ignition switch? I guess it was cheaper than installing a push button. carl

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
One of the reasons I didn't spring for the PE&D was the fact that this is my first Porsche and I like the idea of sticking with the tradition of the door-side ignition. I can't help but think that they were trying to emulate this with the silly fake key thing, though the end result by all accounts seems to come across as just sort of cheap and lazy.

I know it doubles as an actual key for starting the car if there's some sort of failure in the PE&D system, such as your key battery dying. I have no experience with this in any other car. How do others do this?

·
Registered
141 Posts
One of the reasons I didn't spring for the PE&D was the fact that this is my first Porsche and I like the idea of sticking with the tradition of the door-side ignition. I can't help but think that they were trying to emulate this with the silly fake key thing, though the end result by all accounts seems to come across as just sort of cheap and lazy.

I know it doubles as an actual key for starting the car if there's some sort of failure in the PE&D system, such as your key battery dying. I have no experience with this in any other car. How do others do this?
I have an Acura TL with similar features, keyless entry. but there's a small button on the trunk to press. As far as starting it goes, I have a push button. If the key fob battery runs dead, there's a slot to insert it into the dash that will allow it to work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's usually a keyhole on the doors even with keyless. The fob will have a small key hidden inside that pulls out.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I have the Keyless Entry - Push Button Start on my current Lexus, and Love It! So obviously I ordered my Cayman with PED.

It's not about pushing a button or turning a switch to start the car......... It's all about NOT having to dig the key out of your pocket, briefcase, purse or where ever it is to open your door and start the car.

Just walk up to your vehicle, grab the handle and the door opens.... get inside and activate the switch to start the car.... off you go. To park; just stop the car and turn it off, get out and close the door, push the lock button on the handle and walk away. You never have to fumble or even touch the key. Simple and convenient.

If the battery on the fob is dead, you simply pull out the mechanical key and open the door, then touch the fob to the start button rim and push the button - car starts. Yet it tells you long before the fob battery is dead that it is getting low. Simple "watch battery" replacement.

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Are you sure it is a real key?

how do you unlock a car with keyless if the fob battery dies?
As mentioned, there's still a mechanical key lock on the driver's door. It's just hidden under the handle. The key for it is hidden in the fob. there's instructions in the manual on how to get it out. It's also used to lock the glove box, if you're so inclined.

As for the ignition... the thing in the dash is not a real key, but the fob still is. Again, there's instructions in the manual on how to remove the fake key so you can then insert your real one to start the car.

When you wait as long as I have for a car, you tend to find time to read through the online manual, even regarding features you're not ordering. :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
When you wait as long as I have for a car, you tend to find time to read through the online manual, even regarding features you're not ordering. :D
:)

I've had the car for a year now and not sure my car even has a mechanical door lock. All I have seen is a button under the handle......will have a closer look tomorrow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts