Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to purchase a 2015 Boxster with 9k miles that was in a flood.
The car is a black beauty and my inspector said everything worked except the power seats.
The water level appeared to be at the bottom of the seats.

He also said no P-Codes were being thrown. The car started fine and the PDK worked fine as well.
One slight problem: There was engine noise.

Could that be due to existing water in the engine because it was never flushed properly after the flood ?
If the engine was truly damaged, wouldn't there be P-Codes showing-up that indicate "catastrophic engine damage" ?

Finally, is it possible the water entered from the exhaust ?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Hey, it worked in "Risky Business". I wonder who the U-boat commander was. That you Joel?

Seriously, if you are really considering this, find out more particulars about this "flooding". Like:
  • How long was it (partially) submerged?
  • How did it happen? (like the above movie....rolling down a boat ramp). maybe disgruntled spouse using a garden hose?
  • Was the water salt, fresh, clean, muddy, swamp....
  • Was the engine running, stalled, cold,hot?
  • Was it on a slope or level?
I'm not sure if any of the answers would sway my decision (except it if were salt water - no way). But I'd definitely find out before buying. And even if it is sound mechanically, count on future issues that will likely be caused by corrosion and electrical continuity/shorts.

·
Registered
279 Posts
As RSchwerer mentioned, you have some questions to answer. I would not abandon the idea before getting as much information as possible. The PDK may be an issue. Where is the engine noise coming from? Can you identify it? Do a careful research before making a decision. I have seen flooded cars in perfect shape and others that are totaled. If you are lucky this may be your chance.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Flood water contains silt. Silt is like fine liquid sandpaper. When you run the engine it begins its work. There is no way you can insure that water did not get into the engine!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.