Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is common to see many turbo mods using water/Methanol injection and it gets my attention to see that a few companies carry those systems for aspirated engines with considerable claimed performance gains but still have not seen any threads about it.

Anyone...?

·
Registered
621 Posts
The main application I've seen water/methanol injection on is old-school forced-induction (i.e., turbo) cars that did not have intercoolers. The water lowers the temperature in the combustion chamber. Now-a-days, I think this technology has mostly been superceded. But, maybe someone else knows more or I'm missing something.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main application I've seen water/methanol injection on is old-school forced-induction (i.e., turbo) cars that did not have intercoolers. The water lowers the temperature in the combustion chamber. Now-a-days, I think this technology has mostly been superceded. But, maybe someone else knows more or I'm missing something.

I have contacted two known brands and the claim is on a 10+/-% HP gain! and that seems like a LOT! Both mentioned that a mild injection would work fine but still I have not found anyone with this mod. They also mentioned a special set up for RPM... and I had already informed them that my intention was to use it on an aspirated Cayman.

Would like to hear opinions also because it definitely sounds like one is missing something here.
You may do a search under Aspirated methanol engines and see what you will find...

·
On Probation
582 Posts
i asked a turbo installer/sponsor here and they didnt have a clue about it, i,m still tryin to break in to the ECM so i can try my NOS system

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,652 Posts
It's a common way to allow the boost to be cranked in a supercharged or turbocharged engine. Quite common on drag engines. Not worth anything on a normally asperated engine

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,652 Posts
If it was on all the time so any octane increase was always there perhaps the DMS could advance the timing a little bit a gain a few hp.

In a boosted engine the water injection is only used above a certain psi to cool the charge and allow a denser misture.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i had meth injection on my STI b4 , and it does more than what most of people knows. i don't know why ppl do water/meth instead of full meth ( which is what i did ). the bigger the turbo you have, the more increase you should get, especially for people socal with the shitty gas here. however, for N/A, i don't think it's worth it to do since u are not making much gain out of it even tho it should only cost you around 400-600 for the kit.

first of all, other than acting as a booster, the meth also keeps the engine runs cooler (which is what we want) and the new tech of meth kits are actully pretty safe. the new cooling mist kit has a flow valve and pressure gauge , with a controller ..etc, so you can set it for ex. min spray at 5lb of boost and max at 17lb , and for high boosting cars, u won't be consuming any meth while you are just cruising on the freeway. My STI was making 450awhp without meth, and it's due to the low "over rated" 91 octane, but with meth injection, i was able to put down 520awhp for daily drive with 25lb of boost,so if i ever turbo my CS, meth will be a most for me, the only thing is the in CS, the trunk is connected with inside, so i might smell it....

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
May keep the intake valves clean on the DFI cars...

·
On Probation
582 Posts
looks like this myth is busted

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.