Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the 60K service done a few weeks ago on my 07 CS and they replaced the drive belt. The next day I noticed a squeaky pulley sound when I started the car. It went away after a few minutes of driving but is there most times when I start the car now and usually stops after driving. I started the car this morning after it had sat for a few days in 30 degree weather and it was idling pretty rough. Then the Check Coolant light came on for about 30 seconds and turned off. Wondering if this is a fading water pump? Thoughts?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just a guess...but I bet it's the new belt making some noise and you need to add some coolant. Now if you are still on the original water pump...it's time to change it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes it is time for a new water pump

·
Registered
208 Posts
Check your coolant reservoir before you drive the car anymore! I had a hose pop off and the coolant light came on for a few seconds then went off even though the reservoir was almost empty.

·
Banned
3,875 Posts
Check your coolant reservoir before you drive the car anymore! I had a hose pop off and the coolant light came on for a few seconds then went off even though the reservoir was almost empty.

i think i put the 987.1 or 987.2 waterpump on sale this week.. let me know .. hook you up..

Lemon

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Too slack to check. How many quarts of coolant should I buy when I replace my water pump ('07 CS). I've read I need Porsche coolant. Is that true, or is there an aftermarket alternative? Should I use all new fresh coolant and 50% distilled water, or is mixing old and new OK?

I guess I'll replace the belt at the same times as "I'm already in there".

thx for any info.

jt

·
Registered
208 Posts
Too slack to check. How many quarts of coolant should I buy when I replace my water pump ('07 CS). I've read I need Porsche coolant. Is that true, or is there an aftermarket alternative? Should I use all new fresh coolant and 50% distilled water, or is mixing old and new OK?

thx for any info.

jt
50/50 porsche coolant and distilled, premix if you can. Look in the manual for coolant capacity. I would use the same saying in this case as well, "already in there," might as well do a full coolant flush.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I use two gallons of Porsche coolant and two gallons of distilled water when replacing my radiators. There was some leftover for topping up.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mine has been chirping since I had the drive belt changed as well. They went back in and changed all 3 idlers, AND the alternator clutch trying to track it down, but no luck. Same symptoms, chirps for 30sec to a min on startup, then goes away. Only comes back when the car is cold. I was thinking perhaps it was the alternator bearing itself, and the chirping was the alternator under load.

·
PCA member since 1998
295 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts

thx for any info.

jt
You can use Pentofrost. Comes in a concentrated form and needs to be mixed. I used the Pentofrost++ when I was loosing coolant which turned out to be a bad waterpump. I did a lot or research on this stuff and it's basically an equivalent of what Porsche uses. I almost bought it on amazon until I checked the O'reilly's here and it was actually cheaper.

Pentosin - Antifreeze

Also, I'm pretty sure that you can buy the Audi or VW coolant and it's the same stuff as the Porsche. The price drops obviously depending on which automakers sticker is on it (Porsche,Audi, or VW).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Average cost to replace the water pump for anyone that has had it done by an Indy or dealer?

·
Registered
113 Posts
To the OP. Take the serp belt off and start the car cold. If the noise goes away, its something driven by the belt. Check especially the WP pulley. There should be absolutely no play and it should spin smoothly. If you have trouble isolating the accessory, use a mechanics stethoscope or piece of tubing to listen to each component.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good day all. Besides watching the Rolex 24 I am currently researching for Water Pump replacements that will improve my cooling ability for my 06 Cayman S. Friday in traffic going to JFK airport I noticed the cars temp light come on and the temperture not move past 175 F. I pulled over as fast as possible and realized the radiotor was smoking. Diagnosed the issue and realize the pump was gone due to the fact of the coolant liquid under my engine. I am going to tackle the replacement my self in a few days once I have some time.

I have read most forums about this issue and replacemet. Looked on Pelicanparts and found a few different options for replacement. Is the OEM Porsche pump the best due to its composite impellers? Is a OEM Supplier inferior or superior? What brand is the best? What issues could i posibly run into removing the pump? Should I replace my hosses also sincethe engine has over 90k on it and add a 3rd radiotor?

I wil also be installing the smaller under drive pulley since i will have acesss to it. Thanks all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Almost forgot, how low of a Thermostat operating temperture can I install before the sensors and emmisions are affected and decreases fuel efficiency and increases poluulution. Yes I actually are about the envirinment but also my catylitic converter.

Is it ok to use the aftermarket Pentofrost? What other mods can I perform while the front of the engine is off besides the underdrive pulley I was going to install before this occured? Looking for reliabile power and longevity.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The general consensus is the use the OEM water pump. If your Cayman is older, like a 06 then that is about 8-9 years on the radiator hoses so it would be cheap insurance to replace them while you are in there. Adding a third radiator will help you run a little cooler if you are in a hot environment or do track days.

You will have to remove the drive belt to install the water pump so if it hasn't been done recently may as well replace it as well.

Reactions: CaymanSV8
1 - 20 of 31 Posts