Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I commited a big taboo when it comes to washing a car. I not only used well water at the office, but washed the car in the sun to boot :wall:. I thought I dried the car off well enough yet it's got water spots all over it :(.

Now I absolutley HATE water spots so I did a search and a bunch of looking around. I found alot of good information and recomendations as far as products and techniques go. I went out today and picked up what I could find at autozone/ace hardware. Heres what I've got so far, any must have stuff that I'm missing?

ScratchX
RainX Car Wash Soap
RainX window spray
Clay bar
California Jelly Blade
Distilled White Vinegar
A bunch of micro-fiber towels
Garden Hose Water Softener Attachment (ordering online)
Turtlewax ICE car wash

Thats just about everything that I had on my list. I've got another question though pertaining to the vinegar. After you use the vinegar/water solution to clean up the spots, do you need to rinse the area off again with water or is it ok to leave it as is? Also, I would imagine I need to get those spots off ASAP since I park in the sun at work. Will an extra day or two out there significantly increase the risk of doing more damage?

I know a good deal of this information has been brought up in previous threads, but I wanted to cover all the bases and make sure I'd be doing it right.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it looks like the vinegar isn't working. I'm taking a clean rag, dipping it in a small cup of vinegar, pressing it on the windshield where the spots are, letting it sit for about 20-30sec, and then wiping it off with a MF towel. Do I need to apply it differently, let it sit longer, or does it just sound like the spots are more serious than I had thought?

EDIT: Looks like the liquid clay isn't getting the spots off either. I guess I'll have to fork over some money and get the car detailed.

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
Sounds simple, but have you just tried washing the car again? Remember that the minerals that caused the spots is soluble in water in the first place.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it looks like the vinegar isn't working. I'm taking a clean rag, dipping it in a small cup of vinegar, pressing it on the windshield where the spots are, letting it sit for about 20-30sec, and then wiping it off with a MF towel. Do I need to apply it differently, let it sit longer, or does it just sound like the spots are more serious than I had thought?

EDIT: Looks like the liquid clay isn't getting the spots off either. I guess I'll have to fork over some money and get the car detailed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'm planning to. Only problem is at the house (at least its not well water) there is no real shade in the driveway, so I'm not sure if I'd need to look for somewhere else to wash it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What I use to keep sun off wile washing car is an E Z up works great. To remove water spots on glass use a very fine steel wool pad along with diluted
glass cleaner and rub off works very well detailers secret.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This may seem like herasy to the concourse crowd but my driveway gets a lot of sun at the time it is convenient to wash the car and like most people I hate water spots. MR Clean Auto Dry System.
I wash car pretty much every week and do not want to take forever doing it. System comes with a cleaner, water filter for drying and a device that holds it all. Wash car normally and rinse frequently to keep overall car wet till you are done. Turn switch for filter/ionized rinse and rinse the entire car. Let dry. On cooler days add a fan or leaf blower to speed up drying. If you get water spots change filter and rerinse and let air dry.
When i have the time for a thourough cleaning I get out all the specialized cleaners but I don't have the time to do that every week.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
I'm suprised the clay didn't remove the spots. I just installed a whole house water softener this summer, I'm lucky my outdoor faucet is after the softener so I don't jet water spots any more.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You may having "water etching." :( A similar occurrence happened with me. In a nut shell, my car had a TON of micro scratches on it so I bought nearly $700 worth of detailing supplies. After doing a 3 step polishing with a UDM random orbital polisher I was able to remove all of the scratches. This took nearly a week to do (my first time and did about 2 hours a day). Anyways, now the paint was naked and in near perfect condition, all I needed to do was protect that finish with some P21s wax. However, stupid me wanted to take the car out for a spin because I hadn't in over a week and it was a gorgeous day. I parked the car at a convenience store and it poured down rained for 2 min and then the sun came out bright, strong and hot. I drove the car home as fast as I could but it was too late, there are now nearly permanent micro water spots on my paint. They are "etched" in the paint because the droplets on the car have contaminants and minerals in them from rain. With the sun shining on the droplets, it magnifies the drying effects and contaminants actually eat through the clear coat. Now I'm not talking about acid burning through your paint, but micrometers deep. They are hard to feel but they are there. I tried polishing them out with my toughest paint correction polish @ 6k rpms but was unable to fix the problem. Like me, you may have had the same situation happen. I would take it to a professional detailer and have them observe your paint and they will more than likely have a tough enough compound to remove the water etching spots.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yesterday I commited a big taboo when it comes to washing a car. I not only used well water at the office, but washed the car in the sun to boot :wall:. I thought I dried the car off well enough yet it's got water spots all over it :(.

Now I absolutley HATE water spots so I did a search and a bunch of looking around. I found alot of good information and recomendations as far as products and techniques go. I went out today and picked up what I could find at autozone/ace hardware. Heres what I've got so far, any must have stuff that I'm missing?

ScratchX
RainX Car Wash Soap
RainX window spray
Clay bar
California Jelly Blade
Distilled White Vinegar
A bunch of micro-fiber towels
Garden Hose Water Softener Attachment (ordering online)
Turtlewax ICE car wash

Thats just about everything that I had on my list. I've got another question though pertaining to the vinegar. After you use the vinegar/water solution to clean up the spots, do you need to rinse the area off again with water or is it ok to leave it as is? Also, I would imagine I need to get those spots off ASAP since I park in the sun at work. Will an extra day or two out there significantly increase the risk of doing more damage?

I know a good deal of this information has been brought up in previous threads, but I wanted to cover all the bases and make sure I'd be doing it right.
Easy to fix on glass...CLR or Calcium/lime/rust remover from Home Depot. Mix 50/50 with water. Apply it with a sponge. Wait for 10 seconds. Hose it off. Dry immediately with dry microfiber towel. Well, that is it.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I once parked near some sprinklers in Bend, and what a mess of water spots. Clay had no effect. Griots Machine Polish 4 took 'em right off, by hand, using a cotton pad. Any fine paint polish will probably do.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Going to wash it again in the morning, hopefully that'll solve the problem. If not, I plan on trying a few more methods before throwing in the towel and getting it detailed. Sadly though, it's supposed to rain tomorrow :(. With any luck I'll be able to get her back in the garage before it starts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts