Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't understand why we're still talking about this. I'm a web developer. If my paying clients had this kind of problem for this long with no fix, I'd be fired. You guys need to stop beating around the bush and fix it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
So here’s the deal. I really like this website before the change, and now, well...it kinda sucks. Likes and thumbs up and following and crap? C’mon. We are adults here (for the most part)..this isn’t Instagram or FB (thank goodness). Shame “updating” means selling the soul of this community down the advertising river without even consulting the community. Shame.

·
Administrator
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Hello all,

We are still working on updates to the new platform and we will be rolling out weekly updates as we make progress.

Feedback has been noted.

Jeff M

·
Vendor
6,503 Posts
At this point it's my perception that VerticaScope is on purpose trying to get rid of vendors. Because it's much easier for them to just sell space to (completely unrelated to Porsche) google ads, then deal with relevant vendors that Ken painstakingly assembled here.

So... what is the next best site to go and support? It looks like "the other" big site is going the same direction.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's not just the resistance to change, the new format, layout and interface makes this so much less pleasant to navigate. Too bad, I always loved popping in here but not so much now.

·
Administrator
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
It's not just the resistance to change, the new format, layout and interface makes this so much less pleasant to navigate. Too bad, I always loved popping in here but not so much now.
We build based on feedback from users. What is it you are not liking about the format?
-Philip

·
Vendor
6,503 Posts
We build based on feedback from users. What is it you are not liking about the format?
-Philip
Signatures collapsed for one...
My rep just stopped replying me, so not sure where to go next.

·
Administrator
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Signatures collapsed for one...
My rep just stopped replying me, so not sure where to go next.
planet9-sigs.jpg

You can set this in your account preferences. You will find this menu in the top right when you click your avatar up there.
-Philip

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
View attachment 265811

You can set this in your account preferences. You will find this menu in the top right when you click your avatar up there.
-Philip
There have already been two pages of discussion on this and yet we are somehow right back to where we started again with useless information. He is a site sponsor. He DOES NOT CARE WHETHER HE CAN SEE HIS OWN SIGNATURE BY DEFAULT! He wants all the other users to see it in its entirety which is the entire point of being a paid advertiser in the first place.

Changing the setting in his config has nothing to do with what others will see by default if they dont all change their settings as well. You cant solve the problem if no one is listening to what the problem is in the first place. There is no excuse here. It has been clearly discussed ad nauseum for weeks now. Simply change the default for signatures so that everyone sees all of it just like it used to be with the prior site.

Anyone who wishes not to participate can then set theirs to off in their own accounts. How is it simpler or even sane to expect that the entire membership of thousands of people will go in and change their settings to solve this problem rather than just a few that may choose to opt out of a global setting that is no different than it was on the previous site?

Anyone else remember the simple image issue with the prior site that took 3 years to solve because the Admin was clueless as to the issue despite 50 pages of the same detailed complaints over and over again?? Here we go again.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,763 Posts
The information has not been lost. It has all been backed up and saved for a WIKI rebuild.

I do not have an ETA on this yet.

- Cricket
Has there been any progress on bringing back the Articles and FAQ sections? These are among the "crown jewels" of information collected by this community, IMO, and they should be among the highest priorities for the website developers.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Hello all,

We are still working on updates to the new platform and we will be rolling out weekly updates as we make progress.

Feedback has been noted.

Jeff M
The About Us page (https://www.planet-9.com/about/) says you run over 800 forum sites... how are you so far behind on basic features and seemingly surprised by normal questions like sponsors wanting their content to be seen, or requesting more posts per page? Why is there no "search this thread" option or "search this forum" -- I have to search in the main bar, then click Advanced Search, the re-enter the search term, then find the specific forum in the list (which is way too small) then click Search again. Are you kidding me?

About 8 years ago I frequented an independent web forum dedicated to a specific NFL team. One day it was purchased by Scout.com who thought they could take out all the uniqueness of that community and the site and use a common template they applied to all of the sites they owned, and ignored the requests and opinions and preferences of the users who had made that site successful for 10+ years. It is not an exaggeration to say that content on that site dropped by 95%. They absolutely killed it. Scout.com itself filed for Chapter 11 a few years later. I really hope Planet-9 doesn't suffer the same fate.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
We pass on all feedback to the developers and will continue to do so.

You can follow our update progress here.

- Cricket
Highlights of the most recent progress report:
  • We’ve moved the badge shield to the right
  • We’ve also moved the “online” green dot indicator
  • We’ve also made an update to ensure thumbnails are displayed for embedded images
These don't really seem like the highest priority issues. I don't see any complaints upthread about where the green dot is. I do see plenty of sponsors questioning their commitment to continue supporting the site financially.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I stopped using this website as soon as the change happened. I assumed it was bought out and converted to this. The forums look like a Yahoo News comments section now. Terrible design with way too many ads. Should had kept it simple like most other car forums. A real shame.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
The real crime is that all the articles have disappeared. Every day I see several posts looking for help that was clearly documented in those articles. I have at least a dozen dead links saved in my bookmarks that are useless. What a disgrace! And yes, I liked a much cleaner/simpler/no-nonsense user interface. I thought I'd get used to this mess, but I haven't.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The real crime is that all the articles have disappeared. Every day I see several posts looking for help that was clearly documented in those articles. I have at least a dozen dead links saved in my bookmarks that are useless. What a disgrace! And yes, I liked a much cleaner/simpler/no-nonsense user interface. I thought I'd get used to this mess, but I haven't.
To me it seems like this whole thing would be better served as a wiki (which typically support comment threads now) instead of a forum (which is a pretty outdated form at this point).

Something to look into...

·
Super Moderator
13,937 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Excellent! I was able to recover some of my broken 987 links just by editing the bookmark and prepending the web archive url ( something that this g0d [email protected] site won't allow me to put into the message) to the old URL. HOWEVER that archive is very incomplete. Any article list that is multi-page, only the first page is accessible - the rest don't exist. Many of those articles shown just say "This page is available on the web!", but it isn't. Still having some trouble locating some of the stuff in the old "Files" section.

·
Super Moderator
13,937 Posts
Excellent! I was able to recover some of my broken 987 links just by editing the bookmark and prepending the web archive url ( something that this g0d [email protected] site won't allow me to put into the message) to the old URL. HOWEVER that archive is very incomplete. Any article list that is multi-page, only the first page is accessible - the rest don't exist. Many of those articles shown just say "This page is available on the web!", but it isn't. Still having some trouble locating some of the stuff in the old "Files" section.
I see links and when I click on them they go to the articles. Pictures might be messed up. Don't go through the links by entering them directly. Follow the web crawler though the archives like its any website, clicking on the original links.

1. Go to the way back machine Wayback Machine
  2. Enter Planet-9 Porsche Forum
  3. Click on the date you want, there are many like July 1, 2016 Planet-9 Porsche Forum
  4. Click on Articles Main Index - Articles
  5. As an example, click on service items Main Index - Articles
  6. Click on 981 Engine Air filter replacement 981 engine air filter replacement - Articles The article is there with pictures.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts