Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Porsche ownership and recently purchased a 2011 Cayman Base. It did come with an LSD and a few other options that I assume are not typical on a base model. I purchased it from a dealer with only 15,700 miles on it. I previously purchased a new Lotus Elise in 2006 and the experience is very different between the two companies. With Lotus all maintenance information is readily available and I was able to purchase a factory service manual which allowed me to easily service the car myself for the most part.

Fast forward to my recent Cayman purchase. Right after buying the car I went to the parts counter and asked to purchase a service manual. "Porsche does not make that information available to consumers" was the response I got. I can understand not publishing service info for maybe the first 3 years of models life but after that service info should be made available. I own the car. I'm not using under license from Porsche and should not be forced to go pay outrageous service fees at a dealership. Yes, there is the independent option but I should not be restricted from doing what maintenance and repairs that I am capable of doing just because I cannot get torque specs, operation procedures and parts numbers etc.

We have a right to service what we own and Porsche should embrace (as most other manufacturers do) those that are enthusiastic enough about the marque to want to get into the nuts and bolts of their cars. If someone screws up a repair that is on them, it is not Porsches problem and likely some dealership or independent will be bailing that person out anyway.

There is a movement in congress to address Right to Repair issues like this and I am all for getting something in place that will at least force manufacturers to publish service information. Porsche is so tight with this info that it is not available through any 3rd party that I have found except for places like this forum where some info is available but certainly is limited for cars less than 10 years old from what I can tell.

I would like access to service manuals even if I don't do the work myself. The more educated I am about the car the better I can communicate with service providers when I am having an issue. I knew my Lotus better than any other car I have owned because the info was made available by Lotus. It made owning the car that much more enjoyable. I don't like being kept in the dark about a car I own by the manufacturer. What are they so worried about? I own it, if I break it that's my problem.

Withholding service information is anti consumer in my opinion and is a black mark on the Porsche brand.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The dealer was blowing smoke, you can get access to the service manuals online. It will just cost a fortune if you do it the normal way.

Send a PM to porschelibrarian and see if he can help.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
If you would look at the article section on this site, you will find more service information than the service manual.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Porsche has not taken away your "right to repair". They just choose not to sell you the factory service manual. You can buy other service manuals.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm with you on this one. It's irritating as hell not being able to purchase a service manual for my 2015 Cayman.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Good luck with Congress passing anything on an issue like this - or any other issue lately.

I am new to Porsche ownership and recently purchased a 2011 Cayman Base. It did come with an LSD and a few other options that I assume are not typical on a base model. I purchased it from a dealer with only 15,700 miles on it. I previously purchased a new Lotus Elise in 2006 and the experience is very different between the two companies. With Lotus all maintenance information is readily available and I was able to purchase a factory service manual which allowed me to easily service the car myself for the most part.

Fast forward to my recent Cayman purchase. Right after buying the car I went to the parts counter and asked to purchase a service manual. "Porsche does not make that information available to consumers" was the response I got. I can understand not publishing service info for maybe the first 3 years of models life but after that service info should be made available. I own the car. I'm not using under license from Porsche and should not be forced to go pay outrageous service fees at a dealership. Yes, there is the independent option but I should not be restricted from doing what maintenance and repairs that I am capable of doing just because I cannot get torque specs, operation procedures and parts numbers etc.

We have a right to service what we own and Porsche should embrace (as most other manufacturers do) those that are enthusiastic enough about the marque to want to get into the nuts and bolts of their cars. If someone screws up a repair that is on them, it is not Porsches problem and likely some dealership or independent will be bailing that person out anyway.

There is a movement in congress to address Right to Repair issues like this and I am all for getting something in place that will at least force manufacturers to publish service information. Porsche is so tight with this info that it is not available through any 3rd party that I have found except for places like this forum where some info is available but certainly is limited for cars less than 10 years old from what I can tell.

I would like access to service manuals even if I don't do the work myself. The more educated I am about the car the better I can communicate with service providers when I am having an issue. I knew my Lotus better than any other car I have owned because the info was made available by Lotus. It made owning the car that much more enjoyable. I don't like being kept in the dark about a car I own by the manufacturer. What are they so worried about? I own it, if I break it that's my problem.

Withholding service information is anti consumer in my opinion and is a black mark on the Porsche brand.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
I bought a pdf service manual on eBay for $13.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
IMO, legislation is often counterproductive. If you don't like what a company does or doesn't do, buy from a competitor. If right to repair legislation is in fact passed, I suspect they will make it illegal for other parties to offer independent repair manuals. That's the kind of weird lobbying that goes on.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
There is legislation that forces manufacturers to make service and part information available. However there is not a requirement that it be "reasonable". So Porsche provides its tech website for a annual membership of over $5,000 and makes a PDF part catalogue available. I know the PDF PET has not been updated in years and I think the last one was released in 2010 and the dealers do not even use the PDF version. They use a windows database program that is updated about every 4 weeks. They used to print workshop, diagnostic, OBDII manuals and such up until the 2005 models. The complete set for the Cayenne would run over $4,000. The set for my 90 911 was last printed about 15 years ago and the dealers will tell you its on back order and do not know when it will be available.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Has anyone signed up and paid $100 for a day of access? What format are the various bits of info in? Can you download and save them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I completely understand the frustration with Porsche and their attitude to repair documentation. The $13 downloadable manuals are a joke. It should be possible to buy the proper manuals for anything up to $500 or so. I have a complete set for the 914. I'd go for that in a minute. I did have an interesting exchange with Robert Bentley a couple of years back. It sounded as though they were planning on getting around to doing a 2007+ Boxster/Cayman manual at some point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts