Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
My opinion is that if you ever need those mats, you bought the wrong vehicle. I always buy them for my trucks, but I prefer the OEM all weather Porsche mats for my car simply for the ease of vacuuming. They can be found pretty deeply discounted online.

In my experience, digital fit Weathertech mats are only a better choice if you’re going to be getting in the car with caked-on snow boots. Don’t waste your money.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I have them in my Cayman and love them. They stay in one place, they look good, the protect against everything :)
+1. I am very pleased with mine. I originally intended to use them in the winter and use the floor mats in the summer, but I leave them in all year.

Reactions: aeronca65tl

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.....I appreciate the various ideas and comments.

The Suncoastparts and WeatherTech products both look good.

My car will basically be an all-year-round daily driver here in suburban New Jersey. I know it will see some inclement weather. One of the things I really like about the 718 is that the tub is galvanized and should be pretty resistant to corrosion (my Chevy cargo van is galvanized and it has held up real well with very little attention).

I wish I could just reserve this car for Summer-only driving and track days but that was never my intention from the start (my "Summer driver" is a Lotus Super 7 and I have two vintage race cars).

I did try to find the OEM mats on the Porsche site first but I do not see any mats for the 718 (unless I am missing something.....wouldn't be the first time, haha).

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Thanks all.....I appreciate the various ideas and comments.

The Suncoastparts and WeatherTech products both look good.

My car will basically be an all-year-round daily driver here in suburban New Jersey. I know it will see some inclement weather. One of the things I really like about the 718 is that the tub is galvanized and should be pretty resistant to corrosion (my Chevy cargo van is galvanized and it has held up real well with very little attention).

I wish I could just reserve this car for Summer-only driving and track days but that was never my intention from the start (my "Summer driver" is a Lotus Super 7 and I have two vintage race cars).

I did try to find the OEM mats on the Porsche site first but I do not see any mats for the 718 (unless I am missing something.....wouldn't be the first time, haha).
If you are going to be driving in the winter, which you are, you have to beware of the "puddle effect", where snow and ice on your boots melts and starts to pool on the floor, and it tends to freeze overnight instead of evaporating. It builds up over time, and will soak fabric floor mats or spill over the edge of some rubber/plastic ones. The weathertech are designed to be little "tubs" with high sides, so the puddle would have to be really deep for it to spill. That's why I like them more than anything else that I have tried.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The Porsche all weather floor mats will do everything the Westhertechs will do, plus they give you a really nice “Porsche” logo on each mat rather than the cheap-ish looking Weathertech puffy sticker. If you have dark carpets it really looks sharp. I highly recommend them if you’ve never tried a pair. One small benefit to them too is that they have a smoother surface. The Weathertechs are textured.

Weathertech also charges a pretty hefty premium for the digital fit Porsche mats since they aren’t a popular order for them, understandably, since that mat was developed for work trucks. I think they’re nearly 50% more than the same mats for my Yukon which is the dirty-boots vehicle in most garages.

The Porsche mats also fasten to the floor once you remove the OEM carpet mats which is a benefit, however small.

Full disclosure: I’d call an Uber or even walk before I’d ever get into my Cayman with dirty shoes, and snow isn’t something my car ever sees since it’s garaged all winter. So if you’re seeing a lot of snow and your Cayman is your only vehicle then buying a truck mat may be the answer.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Rubber mats (especially the Weathertechs) are just so dang ugly. I use the OEM carpet mats all year round...even when filthy, they clean up perfectly if you go at 'em with gusto in the coin op car wash. Hang to dry overnight in the garage and they're good to go. Come spring, bucket wash with soap and water around the pedals and everything looks new. I did 4 western Canadian winters daily driving my last 911 with the OEM mats, and after a good wash they still looked more than presentable. Our Cayman has also done 4 winters now (although only about half the winter miles) and the carpets look almost new. If they ever start to look bad, they're pretty cheap to replace. YMMV.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mentioned above that I can't find a link to OEM mats for the 718.

In fact, that was the first thing I looked for when I thought about mats.

Anyone find them? Got a link to them?

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
i have those mats with the discs on them so that any water spills don't move. We sell them. the malleable so taking them out is easy.. not like other brands that are stiff.. so taking them out of the passenger or drivers sides mean spilling the mess back in the carpet..ill post a picture later..

2 cents
Lemon

·
Registered
404 Posts
Weathertech for me, in all our cars.

This thread highlights something interesting about P9. Some folks are totally anal about getting nice design upgrades and keeping their cars in mint condition. Others, maybe like me, who live on a gravel road and use the Cayman about 80% on track and just care about go-fast stuff. I presume there is a third group, with access to good mountain roads and who occasionally track it. Maybe that group is rally Porsche's target market.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
One point about the weathertech - they make floor mats for some cars, but what I have they call floor liners, which are a bit different than mats. They require a bit more work to make them fit perfectly, which is presumably why they cost more than mats.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I managed four years of daily driver use with the regular mats (sometimes augmented with towels) in my 981 but I'm considering the all-weather mats as an additional item for my 718. I wasn't sure about the after market ones for the 981 because they didn't seem to fit 100% (despite being custom made) but assume the factory winter mats will be better. Then again, as people have pointed out, they don't seem to have the sides to keep melted snow from running off the mat.
I called my dealer and they are in stock so I'll check them out when I pick up the new car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.