512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: stratman

·
Noob
857 Posts
2015 wec

Who's watching?

If you are a cord cutter, you can buy a $32 stream from http://members.fiawec.com/ and watch the race (all of them including Le Mans) with commentry, as well as live cams on Porsche and other manufacturers...

6hrs of silverstone going on now.
Porsche not doing their best at the moment in both LMP1 and LMGTE.
They did better in pre-race qualifying. Audi and Toyota leading.
Webber's Porsche got busted. Gearbox?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: 2015 wec

Who's watching?

If you are a cord cutter, you can buy a $32 stream from Follow the race | FIA WEC LIVE and watch the race (all of them including Le Mans) with commentry, as well as live cams on Porsche and other manufacturers...

6hrs of silverstone going on now.
Porsche not doing their best at the moment in both LMP1 and LMGTE.
They did better in pre-race qualifying. Audi and Toyota leading.
Does fiawec.com post the races on-line after the race in case you can't watch them when live? IMSA does this for the american version of endurance racing.

·
Noob
857 Posts

·
Noob
857 Posts

Also funny to see that Porsche is doing better at straight lines and Audi is better in the twisties...
shits getting real...:crazy:

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Noob
857 Posts

Audi wins, Porsche 2nd, Toyota 3rd LMP1
Ferrari wins, Porsche 2nd LMGTEPro

Porsche was like only <5s behind Audi and only did 6 pit stops over Audi's 8 (though audi got a penalty)

wec.png

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts

I was watching and the whole thing just pissed me off. Sorry. I agree that Porsche was better in the straights which was totally different than last year at Le Mans. The 919s were upgraded to help them on that point and their reliability was better also. Frankly Porsche's performance in WEC is just embarrassing. They started off this morning great though.

I fell in love with Porsches over the 917 and 935s. This isn't doing it for me. I can't believe we keep letting Audi win in WEC over the past 15 years. Heck, Audi is a luxury sedan builder not a race car manufacturer.

Porsche needs to upgrade their cars or their drivers. One or the other.

We need the 960 for GTEPRO and better than a V4 turbo for the 919s.

Edit: One other thing while I am on my soap box. Toyota has their Le Mans car on their configurator (listed as not for purchase). Porsche needs to do this. It's cool. It inspires. People buy Porsches (in part) because of heritage and they win major races...or at least they used to.

Reactions: Noobies

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

In case you missed it.

I was watching and the whole thing just pissed me off. Sorry. I agree that Porsche was better in the straights which was totally different than last year at Le Mans. The 919s were upgraded to help them on that point and their reliability was better also. Frankly Porsche's performance in WEC is just embarrassing. They started off this morning great though.
Nothing to be embarrassed about. Silverstone is a downforce track, always has been. The most important turns at Silverstone have always been high speed turns. Copse, Maggotts, Becketts, Chapel. Then at end of hangar straight you have the 2nd best high speed high downforce corner in existence today: Stowe. (2nd only to Eau Rouge).

Audi didn't win so many championships by being stupid, they have a great car this year despite being only 4MJ, it sips diesel and it's nails in the twisties. The reason Porsche went to 8MJ was so they could win LeMans, that's the primary goal right now. The championship was always going to be a battle with Audi over the course of the season. Shame about #17's transmission, Webber and Hartley were flying in qualifying.

·
4,105 Posts

In case you missed it.

Nothing to be embarrassed about. The reason Porsche went to 8MJ was so they could win LeMans, that's the primary goal right now. The championship was always going to be a battle with Audi over the course of the season. Shame about #17's transmission, Webber and Hartley were flying in qualifying.

Ok. I will give my rant a rest but I will remember this thread. Le Mans is obviously the trophy. I was really irritated because we got the #1 and #2 position but then lost - again to Audi. I agree that Audi is producing great cars (and drivers) for WEC but that is not their forte. Porsche should be doing much better.

·
Noob
857 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts

I can't believe we keep letting Audi win in WEC over the past 15 years.
We?

Last 15 years? They only had works cars in 14 and 15. No other works cars in 15 years. They weren't racing. Just selling cars to teams. They decided it was better to be financially sound than race.

·
4,105 Posts

Yes "we". I am now emotionally invested in Porsche's outcome. Anybody who is racing Porsches is representing and impacting the reputation of the brand regardless of who is financing the teams etc.. If "we" don't win, it affects us all. I didn't buy a Porsche just because it is the fastest car (which it is not), or the best handling car (which it is not)...but because my poster on my wall when I was 10 had a 917 winning the Le Mans. Porsche's WEC performance matters.

As a side bar, if you are paying attention to Porsche's facebook web site...they were bragging about their podium finishes at Silverstone. Really? How many LMP1 entrants participated? lol We both know that answer. Does the phrase "a giant among midgets" mean anything? That facebook post was just disingenuous and sanctimonious IMHO.

·
Noob
857 Posts

Incase folks missed the 1st one. Scrub to 1:52:00 - 1:57:00 to see #17 get out (webber)

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

Spa is this weekend. Audi bringing their LeMans aero package to try and re-gain some straight line speed down Kemmel straight.

Le Mans/WEC - WEC: Spa preview part 1 - P1
Both Audi's full-season WEC LMP1 cars to run Le Mans aero at Spa - WEC news - AUTOSPORT.com

919 qualifying from last year. He's flying through Pouhon, that's just pure downforce. It's like twice the speed of a GTE through there, and it's amazing how fast he gets back on throttle coming out of bus stop.

U.S. TV Schedule (Sat. May 2):
8:30 – 11 a.m. ET — FOX Sports 1
11 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET — FOX Sports 2
1 – 2:30 p.m. ET — FOX Sports 1

Reactions: TerrySmith

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

1 - 20 of 83 Posts