Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the differences in weight between the wheel/tire combos in general for PORSCHE OEM wheels 18's vs 19's? I've noticed track guys run 18's and I've always wondered if it was due to less weight, for better adhesion on the track due to the larger sidewall or both. I would think the 19's would have the performance advantage for better control or are they more for show?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi jamn. There are a lot of threads on here addressing these questions - the 'Search' tool will help. Most people use 18s on track cars due to greater tire availability and lower cost.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Double tap

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Search please. Just few weeks ago we discussed this in a thread with wheel / tire weights included.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Don't forget, cost is an issue too. 19" tires cost significantly more than their 18" counterparts, and it's not unheard of to go through a full set of tires on a hard track day.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
The weight difference between 18" and 19" wheel + tire combos is minimal. The 19's are about 1 to 1-1/2 lbs heavier. The exact amount depends on the specific wheels and tires. I had a set of 18's and 19's for my CS and that's what my scale showed.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I think Jake's right. Using OEM-sized PS2 tires, the Cayman S wheels/tires and the lightest optional 19" Porsche Carrera S wheels/tires weigh about the same. But the 19" Sport Design and the Carrera Sport (8.5 and 10") wheels/tires should weigh about 7-8# more for all four.

For those concerned with weight, a set of OEM RE-11s weigh 18# more than a set of PS2s.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
A quick check on Tire Rack shows that the cost differential between 18 and 19" Hoosier R6s isn't that great anymore. However size selection is much better with 18s.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The R6 is available in the factory 19 inch sizes of 235/35 and 265/35 and also a 295/30, in 18 there is not a combo we really like. Hence we put most 18 inch customers into the NT-01 245/40/18 adn 275/40/18.

Cheers

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys looking through everything answered all of my questions... I still lust after a set of boxter spyder wheels for my cayman. I checked with my dealer but they said they have nothing as far as pricing for a set yet. Anyone else hear actual prices for spyder wheels?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I think that there will be many people who want these... good luck finding a used set.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
thanks guys looking through everything answered all of my questions... I still lust after a set of boxter spyder wheels for my cayman. I checked with my dealer but they said they have nothing as far as pricing for a set yet. Anyone else hear actual prices for spyder wheels?
As a full set "after market" I am sure they will be around $3,500, prohibitive IMHO compared to what you can get from other manufacturers. Ordered as an option they are fine, propably a little more than say Sport Designs etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts