Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the first time I took my car for a drive after winter break - I've got this weird cooling system fault message. Not my picture and not 981, but the same exact message:

First I freaked out and was thinking of calling a flatbed. Then I realized that engine sounds normal, no smoke coming anywhere, and cooling gauges stay in the usual range. So I drove with it for a day. No problems. Engine temps normal. Weird message pops up every time you start the car.

Finally I made it to the dealer. They diagnosed that "one of two vacuum censors" detected some problems with one of the vacuum valves "that are used for many things". And to get to that sensor is 3 hour / $450 job. That's just to (hopefully) diagnose the exact reason for the message. Internet wisdom says that this message is always related to vacuum hose that goes to PSE exhaust. That needs tightening. But I don't have PSE exhaust :(

Mechanic said they had a lot of those problems with recent 911. It's still unclear to me what getting "to that sensor" achieves and how it'll help diagnose what valve is giving the error.

After setting an appointment for this 3 hours job, it occurred to me to ask if they tried to reset the error. No they didn't. So I asked them to do it just for fun. Error is gone and I drove 120 miles after that without error reappearing.

My hope is that winter storage + air filters change might have triggered some rare condition for that error. And now everything settled and I will see the error no more.

Will keep you updated.

Reactions: SIXPEED

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had that same error and in my case it was related to the one of the vacuum pumps in the aftermarket exhaust not holding pressure. Do you have any modifications or is your car stock?

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, my exhaust is stock, and not even PSE.

The error message is back after about 400 miles :( So it's good I didn't cancel the appointment.

·
Registered
204 Posts
No, my exhaust is stock, and not even PSE.

The error message is back after about 400 miles :( So it's good I didn't cancel the appointment.
Mine behaved the same way... I would clear it and then it would come back much later. It didn't affect driving at all. Let us know what the issue ends up being.

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They attributed it to a certain vacuum valve and it costed me $600+ to fix.

300 miles later the message is back. Exactly like it did after reset. So basically they didn't fix anything :((((((((((((((((

Looks like those German engineers made car so complex - techs have no idea how to fix it. Dealership mechanic told me they have ton of those faults on recent 911, and the service guy told me that they have another 13 Boxster coming for repairs with exact same problem right after mine. So brace yourself guys.

Reactions: darcus

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had something very similar on my old 991.1 C4S - For me (Chicago based) I first noticed that my heater didn't work, then after a few days started getting this message... It was a loose vacuum line, or bad vacuum valve - fixed under warranty and message was gone for good, and heater worked like a champ! The cooling system is used for many things in these cars, but check if your heater works next time you have the message!

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My heater works fine and my a/c works fine. Use them every day!

Message stays, car is fine, don't want to loose my car for a week in a middle of wonderful summer, so procrastinating with my next dealer visit. Honestly, I'm just afraid and sad - I pretty much understand they have no clue what's going on. Since I asked them multiple times last time - and they said - yes, sure, we are absolutely positive we detected the cause and fixed it. That fix lasted only 300 miles.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Subscribed...

·
Chesapeake Region Member
220 Posts
My heater works fine and my a/c works fine. Use them every day!

Message stays, car is fine, don't want to loose my car for a week in a middle of wonderful summer, so procrastinating with my next dealer visit. Honestly, I'm just afraid and sad - I pretty much understand they have no clue what's going on. Since I asked them multiple times last time - and they said - yes, sure, we are absolutely positive we detected the cause and fixed it. That fix lasted only 300 miles.
Any good indie shops near you? You may want to try a pair of fresh eyes for a different perspective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks all for the messages and info.
I got the fault this morning on my 981 CS...dealer wont get to it until middle of next week :-(
I have PSE added, using Porcshe parts other than vacuum control (went with remote control unit)...I am wondering after reading all this is I have a vacuum leak somewhere in the mix.
PSE valves have been working properly for over 500 miles.
I have been considering going back to my stock exhaust due to the PDK drone - even wiht PSE....
I guess I will have to see what the dealer says.

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The good news is - the car is running fine with this message. So no need to rush into the dealer's. The bad news is - they have no idea how to fix it...

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Thanks all for the messages and info.
I got the fault this morning on my 981 CS...dealer wont get to it until middle of next week :-(
I have PSE added, using Porcshe parts other than vacuum control (went with remote control unit)...I am wondering after reading all this is I have a vacuum leak somewhere in the mix.
PSE valves have been working properly for over 500 miles.
I have been considering going back to my stock exhaust due to the PDK drone - even wiht PSE....
I guess I will have to see what the dealer says.

I am surprised that there is a drone with PDK and PSE, is this when the valves are open or closed? I have a MT but have noted no such drone...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Got my car back yesterday - vacuum hose was disconnected, quick simple warranty fix. I had brake fluid flush completed while it was there.
Drone...loudest with windows up, pse open, next is pse closed (off), least with windows open. Mostly annoying at about 66-75 in 7th (sub2000rpm) with light load on engine...down shift to 6th, 3000rpm -no prob
I just got the Cobb PDK upgrade!
Wow...sport mode keeps it in 6th on the freeway...so far so good, only about 16mile test so far

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got my car back yesterday - vacuum hose was disconnected, quick simple warranty fix. I had brake fluid flush completed while it was there.
Drone...loudest with windows up, pse open, next is pse closed (off), least with windows open. Mostly annoying at about 66-75 in 7th (sub2000rpm) with light load on engine...down shift to 6th, 3000rpm -no prob
I just got the Cobb PDK upgrade!
Wow...sport mode keeps it in 6th on the freeway...so far so good, only about 16mile test so far
Now you need something to keep the car in sports mode! :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Now you need something to keep the car in sports mode! :)
I just got it last week - Cobb PDK upgrade
;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
The good news is - the car is running fine with this message. So no need to rush into the dealer's. The bad news is - they have no idea how to fix it...
Did you ever get a resolution to the error message? I am seeing the same message after an indie replaced my coolant. Car is running perfect, coolant level remains at max and no overtemp issues. Really hate to take it to the dealer but also don't like to continually see that error message.

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Did you ever get a resolution to the error message? I am seeing the same message after an indie replaced my coolant. Car is running perfect, coolant level remains at max and no overtemp issues. Really hate to take it to the dealer but also don't like to continually see that error message.
NO! As I said, the car was in service once this summer, they charged me $600, assured me that they diagnosed exact vacuum valve and fixed it. Only they didn't fix anything and message came back in 300 miles. So I told them that,and then decided to wait till the end of the season, instead of missing my car for a week again. Then, when I already scheduled the appointment - it started to snow, and I had to cancel, as I can't drive on snow. So here we are...

Yes, error message is pain, but car runs fine otherwise. I kinda hate those modern electronics. So complex that trained mechanics have no clue what's going on anymore

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
NO! As I said, the car was in service once this summer, they charged me $600, assured me that they diagnosed exact vacuum valve and fixed it. Only they didn't fix anything and message came back in 300 miles. So I told them that,and then decided to wait till the end of the season, instead of missing my car for a week again. Then, when I already scheduled the appointment - it started to snow, and I had to cancel, as I can't drive on snow. So here we are...

Yes, error message is pain, but car runs fine otherwise. I kinda hate those modern electronics. So complex that trained mechanics have no clue what's going on anymore
I think the problem might be more along the line of Porsche 'doesn't' share all of the inner workings of these systems! The dealer should open a dialog with the factory, they would be the team to provide the details to fix this.

Some dealers are more proactive when it comes to getting answers, some have a better relationship with second and third level support at Porsche.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.