Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my CS was new (now at 900-miles) I get a fault in the multi function right gauge. It comes and goes quickly and I've tried many times to grab my iPhone and get a photo. I finally got one, not as clear as I would have liked but I had to move fast while driving.

The fault is the yellow one at the lower left side in the gauge. It's the rear view of a car with an exclamation point !

It seems to happen when the car is perhaps in a lower gear at a lower speed however i am not positive of this. I do not lug the car but this happens when the car is in automatic and picking its own gear. I have tied down shifting and it seems to go away but then again I think it would go away on its own.

I went through the manual and studied all the faults and there is nothing that matches this one.

Anyone experience this? Guess it needs to be looked at by service..

·
Registered
911 Posts
Could it be the PSM briefly kicking in to correct a traction issue? With a combination of heavy throttle and slippery pavement, that would be normal.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could it be the PSM briefly kicking in to correct a traction issue? With a combination of heavy throttle and slippery pavement, that would be normal.
Dry as a bone here in So Cal, good guess but that is not it! It happens on the freeway, straight away, driving at lower speeds mostly. City driving also.

·
Registered
251 Posts
that is the light for PAS or Porsche Active Safe. It's a brake prefilling feature. It will come on if you are following to closely.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
that is the light for PAS or Porsche Active Safe. It's a brake prefilling feature. It will come on if you are following to closely.
Wouldn't you have to have adaptive cruise control for that? I didn't think our cruise was the "adaptive" cruise.

·
Registered
513 Posts
OK SBU, the jig is up...now we know you're a tailgater! :hilarious: Jon

·
Registered
551 Posts
I generally follow pretty close to people, when they do 5mph under the speed limit and sit in the left lane all day so they can go 3 mph faster than the people the right lane, and ive never seen this. Is this PAS thing on the caymans only?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I generally follow pretty close to people, when they do 5mph under the speed limit and sit in the left lane all day so they can go 3 mph faster than the people the right lane, and ive never seen this. Is this PAS thing on the caymans only?
No it's tied in with adaptive cruise if I remember

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would make me feel better and this could be it! I will be making a 150 mile drive today and pay attention to my tailgating activities!

Yes, the jig is up! Can you imagine me fumbling to unlock my iPhone and take a pick while tailgating, wasn't easy. That's probably why it took so long to get the pic, while fumbling I'd back off of the car in front and the caution sign would disappear. Photo then is proof positive, I was illegally tailgating AND using my phone.....guilty as charged judge Jon!

Reactions: Mike R. and BJR

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, that's the YCA system (Yellow Cayman Alert). Whenever there is a yellow Cayman in the area it alerts you to the fact that you are about to get passed by one so you can safely move over....
Funny smart *** but I thought it was telling me to push the yellow Cayman out of the way!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No it's tied in with adaptive cruise if I remember
So now that I am fully awake and have had a cup of coffee .... wouldn't you have to have adaptive cruise control (which I do) for the car to know you are close to another car? How else would the car know unless you were touching the fender in front and the air bags were "pre filling??" :eek: What am I missing here, any other way the car would know? But interesting that the eye in front is active even when the Adaptive Cruise is off (hmmm or perhaps I had it on but not active). This needs more testing :crazy:

If this is the case it seems to be a selling point for us tailgaters. I mean seriously, I try not to tailgate but folks drive SO SLOW for me. In LA the Prius' are the worst, they slow down to taunt me. I then tailgate more and they are just happy as can be going 20 mph and getting 60-MPG. Man do they live in a different world than me. I am a point A to point B kind of person, I enjoy the scenery, I enjoy weird people on the street, weather, whatever, I just do it all faster :burnout:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
So now that I am fully awake and have had a cup of coffee .... wouldn't you have to have adaptive cruise control (which I do) for the car to know you are close to another car? How else would the car know unless you were touching the fender in front and the air bags were "pre filling??" :eek: What am I missing here, any other way the car would know? But interesting that the eye in front is active even when the Adaptive Cruise is off (hmmm or perhaps I had it on but not active). This needs more testing :crazy:

If this is the case it seems to be a selling point for us tailgaters. I mean seriously, I try not to tailgate but folks drive SO SLOW for me. In LA the Prius' are the worst, they slow down to taunt me. I then tailgate more and they are just happy as can be going 20 mph and getting 60-MPG. Man do they live in a different world than me. I am a point A to point B kind of person, I enjoy the scenery, I enjoy weird people on the street, weather, whatever, I just do it all faster :burnout:
Yes is an Adaptive Cruise only feature and uses the radar transmitter / receiver at the front of your car.

I will be looking to retrofit if possible.

:cheers:

Reactions: SBU

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JBR and Hoffman, seriously, thanks for the information. It was bothering me thinking something was wrong with the car. You saved me a contact with the dealer.

As for you Jon, I will think of you as I tailgate around the City of The Angels.

I do find it very interesting that Porsche would have this feature for the minuscule orders they likely receive on Adaptive Cruise Control. They must think it's the wave of the future to invest in the technology to pre fill brakes (??).

I guess also no one but ACC owners have this particular fault on their multi function screen. Or maybe everyone has the capability but it only lights up with ACC owners. Can you tell I am not an Apple Genius? :)

The matter is now settled, the light is officially a tailgating light! (I am still not clear though if the system has to be activated for the eye to pick up the car in front??). Maybe we are not settled until I find this out unless someone knows?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked it up in the manual, it does not say if it works with the ACC off but one would assume the light would not come on unless you have the ACC on.

Reactions: robbyp and Mike R.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Looks like an awesome safety system. I wonder how long before its mandated that every vehicle has to be fitted with something like this!!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
To answer the question: Yes PAS is active when ACC is off. That being said you still need the vehicle optioned with ACC to get PAS. You will get the "tailgate" light anytime your vehicle is in motion and feels you are to close to the vehicle in front. I do not know the parameters but yes I am sure there is a formula according to your speed.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To answer the question: Yes PAS is active when ACC is off. That being said you still need the vehicle optioned with ACC to get PAS. You will get the "tailgate" light anytime your vehicle is in motion and feels you are to close to the vehicle in front. I do not know the parameters but yes I am sure there is a formula according to your speed.
Yup correct, I tested it today on the freeway both ways, on and off. Anytime I got too close (read: tailgating) the "fault" light came on. Some of the time I really was not tailgating, all the cars arounds me seemed the same distance.

i think I've determined that I like having it pre fill the brakes BUT I actually do not like the warning.I am a very good driver. No "at fault" accidents for over 30 years and the same for tickets. It feels like I do not need the visual, perhaps it should just happen behind the scenes and "under the hood".

With that said I am learning to ignore it and find it mildly amusing, there is so much traffic in LA you cannot leave too much room or all the cars will game you :hilarious: Flick your light all you want, I will drive the same way I always have!!

BTW, hit 1,000 miles on my drive today and hope to submit a review of my options next weekend! I am finally getting more comfortable with the various options.

Attachments

Reactions: Mike R.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts