Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a used 2007 Cayman S that at start up, smell like a weird chemical being burned. I have already checked the car underneath for anything stuck in the header-exhaust area but there is nothing. Has anybody have this weird smell before?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Timely thread! I notice a funny smell when I park my Cayman S in the garage. It has a strong, kinda sweet, chemically smell-which my wife says was always present. It doesn't smell of coolant, there's no leaks that I can detect on the floor. I've had the car recently service (oil & filter, brake bleeding.) The car has only 30K mileage.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Got a used 2007 Cayman S that at start up, smell like a weird chemical being burned. I have already checked the car underneath for anything stuck in the header-exhaust area but there is nothing. Has anybody have this weird smell before?
Did you notice the smell after lunch? Nevermind that part. LOL
Does it smell like the catalytic converter, which is a rotten egg smell?

·
Registered
47 Posts

I would have a strong sweet smell after driving my car and linked it to the wheel cleaner I was using, stopped using that product and its never been back, u said after start up so that is probably not it but made me think of it....thought i would mention anyway....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not lunch or wheel cleaner. Dont know about the cat, it smells like a chemical or like some type of acid. No leaks at all.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Hi! I was just some smells from my car last week and from the helpful planet 9'ers suggested to check battery and under carriage. Might be worth while to check the front radiators and side intakes as well. I just had mine cleaned out and was surprised at amount of stuff that can collect there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will look into it. But as I said before, the smell is right after start up (sometimes) cold , start up.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would have a strong sweet smell after driving my car and linked it to the wheel cleaner I was using, stopped using that product and its never been back, u said after start up so that is probably not it but made me think of it....thought i would mention anyway....
I think you're correct. I recently changed to Maguire's tire spray and that's when I started noticing the smell!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts