Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I noticed today some tapping sounds that are on the driver-side behind the rear wheel. The strange thing is that the noise is present when the engine is running AND when I shut the engine off after driving it and it is cooling down. I know about the infamous bore scoring, but this tapping is not rhythmic and again happens when the engine is off. Also, no history of excess oil consumption or and no black smoke (after AOS replacement). Anyone else having this? Is it normal? Thanks for your input.

Here's the noise with the engine running:

And with the engine off after a drive:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds like heat soak from the exhaust system. Quite typical expansion and contraction noise. Did you do any exhaust work, or change the exhaust system. Definitely not mechanical. Quite frequent in new cars/engines. I’ve seen this in the past on my motorbikes and my 911SC racecar. My $0.02.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like heat soak from the exhaust system. Quite typical expansion and contraction noise. Did you do any exhaust work, or change the exhaust system. Definitely not mechanical. Quite frequent in new cars/engines. I’ve seen this in the past on my motorbikes and my 911SC racecar. My $0.02.
Thanks for the info. Yes, the car was recently rear-ended and exhaust was polished to remove scratches, but still the same exhaust system. New bumper as well. Glad to hear its seemingly not something to worry about.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You might try loosening any pipe clamps on the exhaust while it's hot and then tightening them back up.. allow the metal to expand where it wants to be before clamping it down.

It's definitely a not-to-worry sort of noise though.

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S w/ TPC turbo
302 Posts
Nice Latin rhythm. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a ticking sound coming from the rear of my 2007 Cayman S and had my mechanic check it out. It turned out to be the flywheel, which made a noise that was amplified by the transmission/exhaust as a ticking sound. I had the flywheel replaced and put in a clutch at the same time since the trans was out anyway. Solved the problem. Maybe you have a different problem, but you might check it out. Good luck, hope it is a minor thing!

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
With the engine off, it sounds exactly like my exhaust after you shut the car off. It's just the heat soak dissipating; maybe things move a bit as they cool down. It's especially pronounced after a hard run. I'm surprised to hear anything like it while it's running. I would check all the connections, especially those downstream of the first cats.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts