Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 29 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Welcome to the CaymanClub Tire, Wheel, Brake & Suspension Forum sponsored by tire

Hi there, here is a comment from Haweka on new tires ... for the Cayman (any model) it is imperative that the dealer balancing the tires do it with the Porsche centering system especially designed and manufactured by Haweka to allow proper centering and avoid vibration issues. Dealres using Hunter balancers can buy this kit from Hunter directly or you may request your installer to contact Haweka's dealer in USA (ALL PARTS SUPPPLY).

The Tire Rack Team is very excited to sponsor the CaymanClub Tire, Wheel, Brake & Suspension Forum. We know how important a role tires, wheels, brakes and suspension play in helping us enjoy our cars and view this as a fantastic opportunity to support other driving enthusiasts. As moderators, we hope to guide the discussion by reducing inaccuracies and providing helpful information. Our years of experience in this industry make us uniquely qualified for this role. We will do our best to answer questions and address concerns in the forum in a timely manner. If you are looking for an immediate response, please feel free to call our toll-free number (877-522-8473) or email one of our sales representatives directly.

(Please note that if you call in order for this site to get a commission credit you must mention that you were referred by www.caymanclub.net - clicking on a Tire Rack banner graphic will automatically get us credit if you order from the Tire Rack site after doing so.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: Welcome to the CaymanClub Tire, Wheel, Brake & Suspension Forum sponsored by tire

I was looking for some Winter wheels/tire and came across a set of wheels/tire that should fit the bill:
Sizes - Tires: front 205/55R17 rear 235/50R17 Wheels - front 6.5J X 17 - ET 55 rear. 8J X 17 - ET 40
I think they came off an earlier 987 Cayman
If possible, can you confirm that they will fit on a 981?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

I'm not sure if they will fit, but these are the sizes Porsche recommend for winter tyres:

981 - front: 8X18 ET57 235/45, rear: 9X18 ET47, 265/45

987 - front: 7X17 ET55, 205/55, Rear: 8.5X17 ET40, 235/50

·
Registered
19 Posts

As a new Cayman S owner, I'm not too sure of whai options there are for tire width. I have the Carrera Classic 19" rims with 235's on front and 265's on the rear. I would like a wider tire on the rear, and I've heard of 275, 285 and even 305 widths. Which, if any of these will fit the Cayman S without causing problems? Would I have to also increase the width of the front tires to keep the handling solid?

Thanks for any info.
You should not have any problems using 245/255's on the front and 275/285's on the rear.

Here is a link to a great web site that works very well. Just realize that the strut shown in the diagram is for "show only". Above the strut picture is the description. Take into account the "ET" and Rim width when making your decisions.

http://www.willtheyfit.com

·
Registered
19 Posts

Where would be a recommended place to buy spacers?

I've got a CCS with 19" carrera classics with stock tires 235 front 265 rear and i've heard that the correct spacers are 5 front and 15 rear.

I just ordered h&r springs 5 min ago from tirerack 54020.

Anybody have any spacer recommendations? Also, has anybody gone just with rear spacers and leave the front alone?
ECS Tuning makes great spacers in various thickness' and includes proper length bolts. I'm running Porsche 5mm in the front and 15mm ECS in the rear.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Does anyone know when the tire manufacturers generally announce new tire sizes? Is there a certain time of year or do they just change them whenever?

·
Registered
10 Posts

I have a question regarding repaired tires. I had to patch my left rear tire on my GTS with 3700 miles on it. My question is how reliable are patched tires and can I rely on the tire to hold up in all but track day activities? Also, if I do replace the tire, TireRack indicates that they can shave the new tire to 3700 miles of wear, is this good option to buying two new rear tires?
Thanks for any help on these questions.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

I have a question regarding repaired tires. I had to patch my left rear tire on my GTS with 3700 miles on it. My question is how reliable are patched tires and can I rely on the tire to hold up in all but track day activities? Also, if I do replace the tire, TireRack indicates that they can shave the new tire to 3700 miles of wear, is this good option to buying two new rear tires?
Thanks for any help on these questions.
What part of the tire was patched and how? You don't want to run patched tires on the track ever. You could buy one and shave but how much wear do you have in 3700 miles?

·
Registered
10 Posts

The tire was repaired in the middle of the tread, almost exactly. I'm not sure how much wear the rears have, but I drive it hard and get over 1G often, usually on right turns. i definitely won't track it with the patched tire and will probably replace it, but wondering if the wear is significant enough to warrant having it shaves a bit?
Thanks for any help.
Bsskier

21 - 29 of 28 Posts