Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm thinking of buying another CS this time manual. See a nice 06, around at my local Porsche... Is the engine failure a really common thing? Is it something to be worried about when buying a 06' CS with 30K miles on it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
If you are thinking of tracking the car, you are tempting fate.

If not tracking, you could leave the IMS bearing as it is, since for 2006 Cayman S it's the beefier single row ball bearing. You should check by VIN/engine code to be sure. But for piece of mind, I would replace it with an upgraded IMS bearing.

The replacement motor I'm putting in will have an updated IMS bearing.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Bore scoring is a known problem on these engines but the jury is still out as to the actual causes. The advice I tend to follow is to not gun the motor when it has been idling for a time, but instead to take it easy to allow the temps to drop a bit. Full throttle openings at low revs are though to be harmful, and you could also fit a low temperature thermostat as this is considered to help reduce high bore temperatures. Frequent oil changes are also advised (at least once a year). Finally, if you intend to track the car then definately fit a sump extension/windage kit.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm thinking of buying another CS this time manual. See a nice 06, around at my local Porsche... Is the engine failure a really common thing? Is it something to be worried about when buying a 06' CS with 30K miles on it?
There are several things you can do to help mitigate the risk, all of which are discussed on this board. Here is another great resource for info:

Pre-failure Directives

He is discussing the M96 and the same principles apply to your M97 engine. Also, Jake highly recommends Joe Gibbs DT40 oil for street, Joe Gibbs XP9 for track. Viscosity breakdown due to elevated temperatures leads to many of the problems with these engines.

If you are thinking of tracking the car, you are tempting fate.

If not tracking, you could leave the IMS bearing as it is, since for 2006 Cayman S it's the beefier single row ball bearing. You should check by VIN/engine code to be sure. But for piece of mind, I would replace it with an upgraded IMS bearing.

The replacement motor I'm putting in will have an updated IMS bearing.
Just know that replacing the IMS bearing in a Cayman requires splitting the engine cases, which means a rebuild. If you go that route beef up other components while you're in there, like the rod bolts and head bolts to name a few.

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,928 Posts
We have been racing the same IMS shaft and bearing for six years without issue. When we built the 3.8 we just moved the stock shaft and bearing to the new block. And then when we lost that engine we moved the part again. Yes, these engines have issues, but the IMS is not really one of them.

Cheers,

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice to see that you have things sorted out. I have been doing some research also, cost will be pretty much the same but looking at 3.8 track built motor with Nickies etc. or the Renegade LS7 engine. Also looked at the 3.8 DI motor but with the unclear issues about carbon build up on the valves, steered me toward more conventional FI. Will probably go with the LS7 or the LS3 swap as I will be looking at more track use.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am currently rebuilding a 72,000 mile 2006 Cayman S w a spun bearing on number one rod. I've read these
engines are extremely oil level sensitive and that seems true. I bought it already broken and will prolly
break even on value. After driving it I'll be MILES AHEAD as these cars are fantastic enjoyable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Something very similar happened to my car (2008 Cayman S) some years back. It was a broken connecting rod. Nothing to do with the IMS bearing. IMS bearing problems are not common on the M97.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts