Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran out of freakin' gas... never in my life have I run a car out of gas.

Yes, I knew I was low. In fact, I was on my way to the gas station when it happened. The dash computer, however, still showed 30+ miles remaining. Now my car has a TPC with oversized injectors, so I know in reality it's about half that, but it at least suggests there's gas still in the tank - about a gallon. Apparently the float is off a bit.

So I'm about 1/2 mile from the gas station, accelerating slowly in traffic from a stop light. I upshift to 4th and there's just nothing there. Did I misshift to 6th? Put it back in 3rd, still nothing. Then I realize the motor has shut off. I put on my blinker, coast to the turn lane, and stop. Car won't restart (I figured i might get lucky after the gas settled in the tank). So I suffer the indignity of pushing my car into a space in the adjacent parking lot, lock it up, and walk the 1/2 mile (past the gas station, lol) back to my office. Now I'm waiting on my wife to meet with with a gas can.

Hope I didn't mess anything up. REALLY hope it's just gas and not something else going on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Been there, done that haha! Just not in the porsche. Actually ran our 370Z out of gas one time while WOT at around 5000+rpm, I thought we tossed the motor!! After scratching my head for a bit, I asked the misses (it was her car), when's the last time you put gas in this thing? Laughter ensued.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Never helps that whenever a Porsche owner has car trouble the number of stares that ensue until...a captive audience gathers! I'm pretty sure I ended up as an internet meme somewhere when my clutch sensor went out at a gas station.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Been there done that; in a Porsche too. However that's not the worst. Be thankful you're not driving an Alpha Romeo. I once ran out of gas in my Spider Veloce, years ago, and discovered that they engineered it such that when the fuel is unavailable to the fuel pump -- it overheats and burns out. Run out of gas and buy a fuel pump.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Been there done that; in a Porsche too. However that's not the worst. Be thankful you're not driving an Alpha Romeo. I once ran out of gas in my Spider Veloce, years ago, and discovered that they engineered it such that when the fuel is unavailable to the fuel pump -- it overheats and burns out. Run out of gas and buy a fuel pump.
I thought that was true on most modern cars. The fuel pump is cooled by the gas. You are never supposed to get really low, never mind run out of gas. This is easy to google and find. I have no idea who true it is but it doesn't make sense to me to test it.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Hmm. I've run out of gas on cars before and since then and never experienced having to replace the fuel pump except for on the Alpha Romeo. I got so used to discovering the shortcuts they took on the design of that car, I just assumed this was another one. Don't even get me started on the electrical switches.

If it is more common nowadays then I consider myself knowledge updated. Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am at 7..that's right...7 times I ran out of gas.. First time I was 16, got to the bottom of my street and ran out. walked home, told my father who said, " The gas can is in the shed, son" Ok, got the can and then he said, "Start walking...station is only 8 blocks away. And that will teach you a lesson." Guess not Pop, ran out 6 more times since then. My wife ALWAYS checks the gas gauge!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Happened to me but with motorcycles back in the days when there was a switch for the reserve tank. Would loan my bike to friends and they forgot to advise me they switch it on the reserve tank so off I went thinking I am running on the main tank. Pushing a 500 pound motorcycle on the highway is very exhausting and unlike a car you can't really lock it cause some fools would just steal your bike to get the engine and other valuable parts. Now a days a charged cell phone and friends to bring you the gas can is all you need!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I ran out of gas only once in my Jeep Grand Cherokee, not my fault, the sensor was bad, it showed a full tank when it was completely emptied. I had lend my brother my car the day before so I thought he had filled it up. I was on the highway in the left lane and all of a sudden it started to slow down. I press on the gas petal and nothing. Had to pull to the left, lucky there was just enough space on the left to park. The cops saw us and had to stop all highway traffic so we can pushed the car four lanes to the right before a tow truck came and take it to the nearest Jeep dealer. Lucky for me it was just a bad sensor, had it replaced under warranty and the dealer was nice enough to pour a gallon of gas for me to drive it to the gas station.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
There was a day back in the 80s when Jaguar XJ6s had two gas tanks. One on each side of the rear of the car. When one got close to empty you had to manually switch to the second tank. Tell me that wasn't a pain in the arsse. Never ran out but came real close on a regular basis. Only really ran out once as a 19 year old and swore it would never happen again. It hasn't.:cheers:

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I ran out of gas when I was 20 in my 77 Honda Civic. Back then I didn't get embarassed for doing stupid stuff because...well, 20 year olds do stupid stuff all the time. At 48 in a Porsche....yeah.....I'd be embarassed. lol

I routinely run my Lexus (DD) down to < 20 miles left. When I did my European delivery trip, my father-in-law ordered me to keep the tank no less than half full at all times. I complied except on the autobahn since there were plenty of gas station stops along the way. However at 160mph, I was shocked at how fast the gas tank went down. You could almost see it moving. lol

·
Registered
810 Posts
I thought that was true on most modern cars. The fuel pump is cooled by the gas. You are never supposed to get really low, never mind run out of gas. This is easy to google and find. I have no idea who true it is but it doesn't make sense to me to test it.
I damned near ran out of gas once in my old Camaro, closest I ever got. Forgot to stop 2 days in a row and realized as I started my car on day#3 that the fuel gauge was pegged low. 3 miles from the nearest pump. Car lost power pulling from a stop sign at one point, but regained it when the fuel sloshed back. Car started sputtering really badly as I pulled up to the pump, so I was damned close. PHEW! Put 15.9 gallons into a supposedly 14.5gal tank that day, lol.

I'm concerned enough about fuel pump cooling with my Boxster S to try to never get below 1/8 tank, especially during competition when sloshing might leave the pump mostly dry in the corners. Extra gas is dead weight though, so I end up spending a lot of time between 1/8 and 1/4 of a tank. If I time it right, the low fuel light dinks on right before I pull to the pump on the way home. I'm pretty good about gauging fuel consumption for autocross (1.5-2gal between my wife & I usually), but track events are more of a challenge. Driving around cleaning up apex cones & worker stations after one event, my fuel remaining indicator dropped to 10miles and then said "eCrazy". Fortunately, I'd brought an extra 2gal can of 93 octane to be safe and didn't have to test my fuel level guestimates.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I've never run out of gas through any fault of my own. I once got stranded because my gas gauge went bad due to some bad gas being sold in my area. The needle still said I had a quarter tank left.

Now... the closest I ever came of my own volition is a bit of a tale. If it weren't for my wife and coworker being in the car at the time, I'd never be able to retell the story as nobody would ever believe it.

I was on my way home running on fumes when the engine cut out just as I was transferring from the express lanes to the collectors on the highway. I tried to restart it once or twice before deciding that drastic measures were in order. I put 'er in neutral and decided to make a go of it. With not a word of embellishment, I managed to coast for a hair shy of 3 km's, ultimately coming to a stop right at the gas pump of the nearest station. That's one of the very few times I've ever done a rolling stop making a right turn at a red light. That was at the end of the off ramp which was at the top of a small incline so I just barely made the turn... then started picking up speed again heading down the hill, with people behind me honking as I waved them past. I made it to the bottom and the gas station was on the right with a reasonable slope up to the pumps. That slope used up the very last of my momentum. I'm not even sure I touched the brake to stop at the pump. :)

Reactions: racergreg

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, the good news is that I put a few gallons in, and she fired right up. Nothing amiss. My wife on the other hand, still won't let me hear the end of it. I always give her a hard time for habitually running the car low for days on end, but somehow she's never run it dry.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
glad you're ok... I always try to have petrol in especially when I almost ran out of it on an airport run once (dad was late for the flight)
remember my boyscout motto of "be prepared" and now I try to fill it up when I can.

on running out of fuel, I'd be more worried about being hit by other vehicles on the road.

i've been told that when you run out of gas, there could be possible damage to more than the pump, as there is no energy to keep the non belt driven items running.
was wondering if this is true esp. if the engine oil pump and upper cylinder portion (normally lubricated by injection of fuel) are not belt driven?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Decades ago I had in the space of five or so years both a 79' and an 81' Honda Preludes. Both of these cars had low fuel lights. In 93' I purchased the newest car I'd ever owned, an 91' Honda Civic SI. I remember cruising home from work the first week I had it with the gas gauge well below E, thinking wow, this thing has a bottomless tank and I'm getting super mileage, the fuel light still hasn't come on. Luckily, the sputtering that announced a dry fuel tank happened at the top of a hill. At the bottom was a gas station. As the car was fueling up, I got out the manual. It turns out my ten year newer Civic had no low fuel light.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts