Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after several months with my Fabspeed Maxflo exhaust system, I had it removed and put back the original, stock system. It was not an easy decision to make, since there were lots of things I loved about the Maxflo.

The Maxflo really does boost horsepower and torque. It's not an "oh wow" boost, but the car did wind out a bit quicker than before. The throttle off burble was intoxicating ... just a nice deep rumble. Full throttle sound was much deeper than stock, and really made the car sound more like a muscle car. Driving with the top down, I thought this was exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, a lot of my driving is top up and that changes the experience. My biggest objection was to what is generally referred to as drone. When there is even the slightest load on the engine below 3,000 rpm, the sound of the exhaust is amplified by the acoustic qualities of the car. It gets uncomfortably loud, and my wife in particular found it really annoying. I got used to it, but I found myself having to downshift much more frequently than I used to, in order to keep the car out of the drone zone. Using cruise control in sixth gear at highway speeds required a downshift to fifth whenever I encountered any incline at all. All this also resulted in a 2-3 mpg drop in fuel economy ... not a huge deal in a sports car, but certainly noticeable.

So, I'm now back to the stock, non-PSE exhaust, and my Maxflo is headed out to a Texas Boxster owner. I actually do feel more comfortable with the lower sound level of the OEM system. Both my wife and I are sensitive to loud sound so, for us, this is the more palatable way to go. I gave it a shot, lost about $1,000 on the deal, but am happier without it. One odd thing I did notice, is that the 2700 rpm engine "hiccup" was more pronounced with the Maxflo. That stumble is hard to feel now, but was very obvious with the lower back pressure of the Maxflo.

This is a beautifully built, high performance exhaust system that does everything it's supposed to do. I guess I just like a quieter car.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
You aren't the first, Stan. IIRC, there were a number of Maxflo owners going back to stock on various forums a few years ago after changing out the stock system.
I know the Porsche SE is a lot of $, but the ability to resort back to stock when you aren't in the mood for more sound is worth something --just not sure it's worth $3k.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the Porsche SE is a lot of $, but the ability to resort back to stock when you aren't in the mood for more sound is worth something --just not sure it's worth $3k.
When I ordered my car I was trying to stay on a budget. That turned out to be an impossible goal, but I balked at adding another $3,000 to the already bloated price of the car for the PSE. Since my dealer had no 981's with PSE that I could listen to, I decided to save the money. The stock exhaust is okay, and it does allow the sound of the engine to be heard over the sound of the exhaust, which is not a bad thing. If I were going to order another one, I would probably now consider the PSE as a possible compromise.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
...Porsche SE is a lot of $, but the ability to resort back to stock when you aren't in the mood for more sound is worth something --just not sure it's worth $3k.
It sure was to me on both a Boxster S and a Carrera S -- best money I've spent on either car. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Definitely understood - my Tubi exhaust on my 981BC has a very prevalent drone at highway cruising RPM's. If I wasn't somewhat young (30's) and wasn't in the car by myself 99% of the time, this would be an issue for the SO.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I retrofit PSE and never once regret. Regards the Fabspeed, I drove a member's car with Fabspeed on the track, it sounded great but I do see why it might not be good for those nights cruising home with top up.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
When I ordered my car I was trying to stay on a budget. That turned out to be an impossible goal, but I balked at adding another $3,000 to the already bloated price of the car for the PSE. Since my dealer had no 981's with PSE that I could listen to, I decided to save the money. The stock exhaust is okay, and it does allow the sound of the engine to be heard over the sound of the exhaust, which is not a bad thing. If I were going to order another one, I would probably now consider the PSE as a possible compromise.
We were in the same boat--we had a bottom line figure we had to live with and added the options we knew we wanted for track events (X73, PTV Sports+ seats), so the idea of adding another $3k for either the PSE or 18 way seats wasn't going to happen. Actually, the stock exhaust is one of the things that sold the car to the wife and I think the stock exhaust is fine.
Having said that, having driven a 981GTS on the track and listened to friends 981 w/PSE, the exhaust note of the PSE is great--exactly what you want to hear coming from of a German sports car.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We were in the same boat--we had a bottom line figure we had to live with and added the options we knew we wanted for track events (X73, PTV Sports+ seats), so the idea of adding another $3k for either the PSE or 18 way seats wasn't going to happen. Actually, the stock exhaust is one of the things that sold the car to the wife and I think the stock exhaust is fine.
Having said that, having driven a 981GTS on the track and listened to friends 981 w/PSE, the exhaust note of the PSE is great--exactly what you want to hear coming from of a German sports car.
I think the stock exhaust is very underrated. It actually has a nice tone, doesn't drown out the sound of the engine, and exhibits virtually no drone at any rpm range. Having said that, the on/off feature of PSE seems to solve the loud versus quiet dilemma. The only real issue, for me anyway, is wrapping my head around the $3200 cost. That figure allows almost zero credit for the system it replaces.

Anyway, I am back to my stock exhaust and, after a few months with the MaxFlo, find that I really appreciate its more mellow sound. Even more important, my wife now smiles again when we're out for a ride.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
My Cayman R had PSE. It was nice but I actually heard slight drone even with it. My 2014 981 and my current 2016 981 have stock exhaust and I prefer it for a DD. I test drove a 981 with PSE before getting my 2014 and actually preferred stock, non PSE. It was an aural not $ based decision for me.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
PSE is very good as long you don't use sport mode as I mentioned earlier. In sport mode, the backfiring sounds are a bit much for me at least. I prefer to drive my car with PSE on but sport mode off. The sound is wonderful without attracting angry looks. If I had the PDK which I understand needs to be sport mode to avoid a sluggish throttle response, I would not add the SE.
The cost for the retrofit was 3100 with a discount. I did not see the value of 4k for the infortainment package which added navigation to a 700 dollar Bose sound system. I find Waze on my iphone6 plus to be much more useful for both route guidance and information on speed traps etc. Plus a leather interior for 4k, again to me at least, is a ripoff.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
You guys keep this up and I will never be able to sell my Max-Flo System! ;)

I loved mine, yes a bit louder than the OEM system but for me the OEM was too quiet. The only reason I don't have it on the current Boxster is that as a GTS it came with PSE, if it didn't I would have installed the Max-Flo.

But I understand that it is not for everybody.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think I would enjoy the extra noise with the PSE but think it costs a lot for what it provides (though it is nice that it doesn't cost extra to add). The stock exhaust has been good, however I notice a drone when cruising in normal mode (7th gear) around 2,000 RPM and going up hills where cruise control needs a bit of power. Since I am normally in Sport mode it doesn't bother me day to day. I wonder if switching PSE mode would allow you to avoid drone when / if it occurs?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I would enjoy the extra noise with the PSE but think it costs a lot for what it provides (though it is nice that it doesn't cost extra to add). The stock exhaust has been good, however I notice a drone when cruising in normal mode (7th gear) around 2,000 RPM and going up hills where cruise control needs a bit of power. Since I am normally in Sport mode it doesn't bother me day to day. I wonder if switching PSE mode would allow you to avoid drone when / if it occurs?
With the manual, I've heard no drone at all with the stock exhaust. With PSE, there have been some complaints of drone with the PDK. I guess it's sometimes not a good idea to mix acronyms.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just installed PSE on my 2013 911S w/PDK and I think it was the best money I've spent on the car.

With it in regular mode (console light off) it sounds similar to stock, maybe a deeper tone, and no drone at all. Press the console button and as the revs increase it's race-car loud and awesome.

I usually shut it off on the highway and it's like stock with no droning to speak of. I'm really particular and was concerned about excessive highway noise.

Suncoast has them on sale now (wish I had waited).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Too bad you already put it back on. I would have sent to Cantrell for Gert's GT mod. Second only to PSE in my opinion! Be on the lookout for used PSE. Often see under $2k. Can leave open all the time as it's mello at low rpms so you don't really need to do the switch. Carnewal does sell a wireless kit to open/close the valve.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I actually just put my stock exhaust back on last night. I installed the Borla about 5 months ago and just got to the point where it was driving me insane for the morning commute. I love the low-speed rumble, but I feel the exhaust should be nearly silent on the highway, and the Borla is the opposite of that. If it weren't my daily or if I were about 20 years old I'd love it, but it's just too loud on the highway.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
We are all getting old, the sound of my AWE exhaust is fine but I could do without the low RPM drone. Honestly would not do it again but not going to put the OEM back either. It's not my daily driver so I'm okay with it for now.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It really just comes down to how much sound level you're willing to live with. For me, as much as I love the rumble of a deep exhaust note, I found I really couldn't stand living with the drone at lower rpm ranges ... especially when cruising along on the highway. Many love it in spite of that drone, but I guess I'm just too old for that at this point of my life. I'm back to the basics, and have no regrets.

·
Registered
727 Posts
People keep spending two grand on exhausts that have all these issues as mentioned here and in many other threads. For those contemplating an aftermarket exhaust, why not get a good header for three grand instead. Makes the stock exhaust sound better, no one ever complains about these, and you get an extra dose of midrange torque to boot.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think that it's a problem inherent to the design of the 981. I used to have a Mustang and there were several aftermarket exhausts available that sounded great, no drone, and were near silent while cruising on the highway. I know it's been discussed in another thread but there's something about the exhaust length/shape/etc that makes it hard to eliminate drone in these cars, which is why the stock exhaust is shaped the way that it is. I got the Borla because I thought I wanted a loud exhaust and the youtube videos sound awesome, and I'd be fine with it if it were quiet on the highway. It's just too loud to live with every day. It's weird that now I've got the stock exhaust on again it feels more like a Porsche....I just wish I had that button on the console to make it louder.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts