Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a '05 BS that required an engine rebuild after an IMS bearing failure at 98k miles. While the engine was out, I had the mechanic completely refurbish the car mechanically, and one of the options we decided on was going with Wevo mounts for the motor and tranny. This isn't about Wevo over other brands as I didn't test them, but my thoughts on how SS mounts affect the nature of the car in the first place.

The first thing is the in-cabin vibration. You will feel more throb in your seat at idle, and at certain revs (in mine it's 2,800) there are things somewhere in the dash that will suddenly buzz like a bee on acid. I had to take my keychain off the key because it rattled so much. Basically, if what you do with the car is commuting and long distance GT drives, then semi solid mounts are almost definitely not for you. They'll reduce the comfort of the car noticeably.

The second thing, on the other hand, is what I'd call chicane poise. Boxsters and Caymans are great around bends, but on repeated 2nd gear switchbacks that come at you in rapid succession, there's a split second where you can feel everything behind you settling into place. That's gone with the SS mounts; come around a right hand hairpin and straight into a left hander, and the car is balanced, ready to turn. The difference is as noticeable as the vibration, and like going from dancing with an amateur Salsa hack to a professional Flamenco dancer. It's electric.

The third thing is the shifting. I think Porsche builds cars with fairly sloppy shifters, but the SS mounts do a lot to sharpen this up. I've found I now have a much better balance in play, allowing me to guide the gear lever into place more easily. It makes for a better shifting experience, imo.

So basically, if hitting corners hard is your thing, these are a great mod to your car.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I went for Rennline mounts - love what they did to the car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw a lot of good things about Rennline's mounts. I think the ability to fine tune the mounts to suit is a really cool thing, but we had gone with the Wevos before I read all about the Rennlines on here.

I think both would be a great way to sharpen the car's teeth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.