Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!

I'm trying to baseline what's expected and what could be abnormal (if any) so putting this question out there about the specific noises and harmonics that those have encountered after the install of Wevo mounts. Think I have gone through all the threads but have not found any thing which could describe some of the things I'm hearing in the cabin.

Why I have some lingering concerns:

At the first attempt to install the mounts, we encountered a slip then thud, then sounds of grinding with the Wevo engine mount, which intermittently occurred during hard cornering hard. We believed the orange casing was slipping side to side and slightly rubbing against the engine bay wall or mount. I was able to kind of reproduce it at 2500-3500 rpm for the mechanic.

In any case, this set up was too loud for daily driving so when we diagnosed the problem, I decided to revert to the OEM engine mount and keep the wevo transmission mounts.

My concern is slight grinding rubbing noise that occurs very intermittently. Makes me wonder if there's something else is still moving around or flexing. Anyway, descriptions below, let me know what you hear!!

===============

Current Install: W
987.1 Cayman S
Wevo tranmission mounts with OEM engine mount for 6 months now.

Before install:
Very quiet Cabin
No noises with OEM mounts

After install:
Noise: I measured db using an iphone app called decibel 10th. It's not very accurate as it averages frequency but an easy way to gauge the increase in noise after install.
Idle 50 db (fairly standard in any car)
2000-2500 rpm - 70db (mostly road noise)
>3000 rpm - starts ramping up through to about 85db

I still the occasion grinding noise as though something is touching the engine bay wall very slightly. It doesnt last long or sound extreme, just a quick light da-da-da-da-da
I've only heard it twice in the last 4 months, this time at 4500-5000rpm during hard cornering

Harmonics:
mechanical and almost a quiet air cooled burble.

Mechanical flutter - When the engine gets really warm, I get this flutter that only occurs between 2200-3000 rpm.
I'm assuming this is normal engine harmonic because its so consistent but it would be nice to know what generates it :)

Other than that, the benefits are there
- you feel that the car is tauter, as though the stiffness was dialed up behind your bum 2 clicks. This is more apparent in directional changes
- with the stiffness behind your bum, you feel the different forces of inertia that's more closely connected to the throttle changes
- I get smoother, easier gear changes but also have numeric cables. Rifle bolt! Starting to feel the need for a short shifter
- Smoother more controlled drift if you light up the tires or put down the power in the wet. PSM does make it jerky :)

Overall, It does take the car from sophisticated sports car to something that takes away a little comfort and adds a little rawness. It's been very liveable for daily driving :crazy:

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts
I have Wevo transmission mounts and OEM engine mount.
Everything sounds exactly the same as stock. You can only feel a slight vibration at some RPM points, nothing else. The little vibration is kinda neat.
Its more planted and shifting gears is improved. Engine power up is more responsive.
The whole package is just less soggy.
Definately no extra noise.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have Wevo tran mounts and oem engine mount. At start up there is a slight vibration in the cabin but nothing that bothers me. The most noticeable aspect is about 2500rpm when I can hear a transmission whine/rumble but it disappears if the revs are higher or lower. I actually quite like it, adds some rawness!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... The most noticeable aspect is about 2500rpm when I can hear a transmission whine/rumble but it disappears if the revs are higher or lower. I actually quite like it, adds some rawness!
Thanks guys!

Good to see that this is probably normal. I think it's the same thing I hear between 2200-2800. It's just a louder rumble that happens at this range.

Now, have to work out the possible reasons for the intermittent rub/grind of what we think is the engine mount. Maybe I'll recheck for things that are touching or getting squeezed.

·
Vendor
707 Posts
No issues whatsoever. We have installed several of these parts on various race and street builds. If you do the trans mounts and NOT the engine mount you might develop a minor vibration in the middle of the RPM range. The same can be said with maybe doing the engine mount and not the trans mounts. I have seen cars come and go through here with partial installs and when we have had all 3 bushings upgraded to urethane, it has all gone away.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.... If you do the trans mounts and NOT the engine mount you might develop a minor vibration in the middle of the RPM range. The same can be said with maybe doing the engine mount and not the trans mounts. .... .
Thanks BGB Motorsports! I think this is the answer that will give me a lot of comfort that nothing is abnormal.

It's a minor vibration/ light rubbing sound that I've experienced once at 4500rpm. The shop did recommended that I do all 3 mounts as this is the intended design.

What Urethane options have you guys used? I was originally looking for a Urethane option but there doesn't appear to be one that's widely used.

·
Vendor
121 Posts
You can try my Engine Mount Insert, which supplements the OEM engine mount bushing to stiffen that mounting point - it's available in 2 hardnesses: Street (70A) and Track (80A).

Install is simple. You don't press the OEM bushing out - the 2 insert halves slide into the OEM bushing from either side, and it's all held together by the engine carrier that bolts around the bushing. With the sidewalls incorporated into the design of the inserts, there's no chance of the engine sliding side-to-side.

987insertinbushing.png

987dfiinmount-large.png

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Function First!
These sound like a good option for one level up from OEM. Is there much real life difference between the 70A vs 80A? I've had 70A engine mounts on my Jap import before and they were brilliant!

I'd love to learn about the technical aspects in parts design so from an engineering standpoint, are side to side lateral forces expected? I'm guessing these mounts were designed to brace the insides of the mount so it doesn't get squished during acceleration/deceleration = stiffen. Any insight would be unreal! :)

·
Vendor
121 Posts
Hey, sorry I missed your post above until just now...

There's considerable difference btwn the 70A and 80A - for the Cayman, I recommend the 80A only for track cars. To be perfectly honest, this is an upgrade geared towards performance, and there's going to be some added NVH as a result, albeit less so with the 70A.

The sidewalls of the insert are an important feature of the stiffener. They prevent excessive engine torquing during acceleration - leading to more immediate power delivery, as well as minimizing side-to-side drivetrain movement - leading to instantaneous turning. Basically, you DON'T want the drivetrain swinging around within the chassis, as inertial forces cause it to fight the chassis anytime you change direction (accelerate, brake, turn).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: - After a year with the Wevo set up, I have uninstalled them.

The NVH did grind on you for longer drives. Maybe different tolerance levels to other folks but did find that Noise was quite piercing behind the seat.

Have now moved to Function first SOFT 60A insert + Hard rubber mounts from carnewal.

First impressions - have not stopped driving the last week :) I love this set up a lot better in terms of feel and in particular, the harmonics/sound.

Definitely a good step up from OEM with a much lower increase in NVH (still some vs OEM).

I think if i only had the insert or hard rubber mount (ie. not both), there would be even less NVH but having both does make throttle crisper!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can't find the rubber mounts on carnewal's website.

Anyway, I'm just looking to reduce wheel hop without adding much NVH. What's a good setup for this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts