Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last Saturday on went on one of my drives.I live in the country so I am in the middle of nowhere.Most of the time I have cell service but sometimes not. Driving along and all of a sudden my tire pressure goes -2, -6,-12,...yep I got a flat and a bad one.This happened at a little after 10am.AT about 3:15 the tow truck arrived!!!! Yes I sat in the middle of nowhere for about 5 hours. Here comes the fun part. My dealer had no loaners so they gave me a car off the lot that was for sale.It was a 2012 997 GTS Cab..I have owned 3 911's(3.2-993-997S)..Fun car for sure but it was PDK..I was also surprised that it really didn't feel "that fast" with 400 hp.I had it for a few days because it turned out my tires were no available.This is actually cool because Porsche gave me 4 pirelli tires for the price of one!!! While my car was there and I felt I was getting a real bargain I decided to splurge,so I had them put in the x73 SS...But this was going to be a few days so they wanted the GTS back as it was for sale..My next loaner was a 2012 991 C4S Cab..and I want to say that I loved that car. As a previous 997 owner I can honestly say that the 991 is miles above the 997. I have had 3 Boxsters in my time and love having a cab.. I drove with the top down everyday.
The 991 is very comfy and very fast,but very big!! But it did everything better than the 997..Yes the 997 felt a little more raw for sure but the 991 was just so much more refined and seemed a whole lot faster with about the same HP. This too was PDK and the 991 version was much better than the 997..So today I went to pick up my car and I had some time to burn,so I asked if I could test drive a base 991. My conclusion for my needs were this..
I would take a 981 S over a base 991 any day of the week.
If I went back to a 911 I don't think I could get another 997.
If i got a 991 it would have to be an S and most likely a coupe.
The 991S is a lot faster than the 981S BUT the balance and feel of the 981 is really terrific.
So for all of you considering the X73...GET IT!!!!! it is by far the best option I think you can get on this car..PASM is better on the 991 than the 997 so I assume the same for 981 but the car looks amazing lowered and feels totally different than before..A little stiff but nothing compared to my 997pasm car..
The car feels more sporty and has so much more feel to me..Joey

·
Registered
874 Posts
Sorry for the long week with a rocky start....but you did get to try out a number of different rides. :) My dealer typically uses Mercedes loaners (hard to complain too much about driving an E-Class :p) with an occasional Panamera thrown in....but they are not sports cars and I am always happy to get my car back.

Your comment about the 991 feeling 'big' is interesting because it comes directly after time in a 997 GTS (the 991 is 2.2 inches longer than the 997) and I have heard that comment before from 997 owners. Modern Porsche sports cars are not large cars....but they are not small either. The 991 carried over the 9A1 engine so the engine response only changed slightly. Porsche was seriously trying to improve the interior and the smoothness of the drive-train response in the 991 and I think they succeeded. Coming from a 987S, I agree the 98x car's feel and balance are their best features (along with decent power and eye-catching looks).

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I agree 100% on X-73. I have many options that I felt were important to me, but the X-73 is the one I lave the most.

I also drove the the base 991 and the 981 S back to back twice. I came up with the same conclusions:
1. 991 slightly to big and more refined.
2. Engine sounds from 981 are superior from start up all the way through to when you shut it down.
3. The 991 was fun to drive, but the feel of the 981 was more sports car. It felt lighter and steering seemed a little more direct/more feel.

So last Saturday on went on one of my drives.I live in the country so I am in the middle of nowhere.Most of the time I have cell service but sometimes not. Driving along and all of a sudden my tire pressure goes -2, -6,-12,...yep I got a flat and a bad one.This happened at a little after 10am.AT about 3:15 the tow truck arrived!!!! Yes I sat in the middle of nowhere for about 5 hours. Here comes the fun part. My dealer had no loaners so they gave me a car off the lot that was for sale.It was a 2012 997 GTS Cab..I have owned 3 911's(3.2-993-997S)..Fun car for sure but it was PDK..I was also surprised that it really didn't feel "that fast" with 400 hp.I had it for a few days because it turned out my tires were no available.This is actually cool because Porsche gave me 4 pirelli tires for the price of one!!! While my car was there and I felt I was getting a real bargain I decided to splurge,so I had them put in the x73 SS...But this was going to be a few days so they wanted the GTS back as it was for sale..My next loaner was a 2012 991 C4S Cab..and I want to say that I loved that car. As a previous 997 owner I can honestly say that the 991 is miles above the 997. I have had 3 Boxsters in my time and love having a cab.. I drove with the top down everyday.
The 991 is very comfy and very fast,but very big!! But it did everything better than the 997..Yes the 997 felt a little more raw for sure but the 991 was just so much more refined and seemed a whole lot faster with about the same HP. This too was PDK and the 991 version was much better than the 997..So today I went to pick up my car and I had some time to burn,so I asked if I could test drive a base 991. My conclusion for my needs were this..
I would take a 981 S over a base 991 any day of the week.
If I went back to a 911 I don't think I could get another 997.
If i got a 991 it would have to be an S and most likely a coupe.
The 991S is a lot faster than the 981S BUT the balance and feel of the 981 is really terrific.
So for all of you considering the X73...GET IT!!!!! it is by far the best option I think you can get on this car..PASM is better on the 991 than the 997 so I assume the same for 981 but the car looks amazing lowered and feels totally different than before..A little stiff but nothing compared to my 997pasm car..
The car feels more sporty and has so much more feel to me..Joey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts