Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove my wheels but I want to make sure I do not damage them. Which tolls should I use?

Is it preferable to remove/install wheels manually or can I use an impact gun?

Should I get a soft socket or can I use a regular socket?

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
I want to remove my wheels but I want to make sure I do not damage them. Which tolls should I use?

Is it preferable to remove/install wheels manually or can I use an impact gun?

Should I get a soft socket or can I use a regular socket?
Always use a soft socket if you want to protect your wheels and bolts. There are several articles in our Articles section involving the removal of wheels, even one on cleaning them, I'd suggest looking those over.

You should also get a couple of brass wheel hangers (and soft socket if you don't have it) from our sponsor Boothe Design Boothe Designs, Porsche parts and accessories, No-Turn Technology as those will make the job easier.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
FWIW I got my alignment bolts from my dealer. Don't try changing the wheels without them. As well as the soft socket you also need a Torque wrench to retighten the bolts. Ken has a great article on the site about waxing your wheels. Heartily recommend you try this. It's real easy to do and does help control the problem with brake dust on the wheels. BTW you'll need a good jack.....got mine at Canadian tire.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
As an alternative to Schwabe's solution ;) , you might want to invest in a breaker bar to loosen the bolts. At 96 ft-lbs they are pretty tight, and unless you are the Hulk, I think a breaker bar is preferable to using an impact wrench.

I do use a battery-powered torque wrench to spin the bolts on and off, but that is mainly for convenience. Also, while it may be tempting to use your torque wrench as a breaker bar, it is usually not recommended to loosen tight bolts, since it might affect the calibration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.