Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early in the summer I am going to swap my stock boxster S 18" wheels and tires for sport design 19". In doing so I am going to have the tires un-mounted so I can take off the TMPS sensors to put on the SDs. I will then put the 18" wheels on the classified section of this site to sell afterwards. My question is, with 10k miles on the stock bridgestone tires, do you think it is worth the expense to have them re-mounted so sell as a tire + wheel package. I figure it would probably cost about $125 or so to have them re-mounted, plus extra shipping charge to the new buyer of them.... I am not sure it is worth that expense to the new buyer, or do you think I am better off just selling the wheels and tossing out the tires?

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I think you would be better off selling the wheels separately if you are already dismounting them anyway - you're more likely to find buyers if just selling the wheels alone; and as you noted, the shipping will be a lot less.

You could try to sell the tires separately also, though with that many miles, you won't get a lot for them (maybe list them on Craigslist for local pick-up so you don't have to mess w/ shipping the tires).

P.S. thread moved to Wheels/Tires forum.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am doing exactly the same thing, with exactly the same sets of wheels.:dance:

Early in the summer I am going to swap my stock boxster S 18" wheels and tires for sport design 19". In doing so I am going to have the tires un-mounted so I can take off the TMPS sensors to put on the SDs. I will then put the 18" wheels on the classified section of this site to sell afterwards. My question is, with 10k miles on the stock bridgestone tires, do you think it is worth the expense to have them re-mounted so sell as a tire + wheel package. I figure it would probably cost about $125 or so to have them re-mounted, plus extra shipping charge to the new buyer of them.... I am not sure it is worth that expense to the new buyer, or do you think I am better off just selling the wheels and tossing out the tires?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually found a set of Sport Designs from an 08 RS60 boxster and the TPMS sensors worked with my 2007... so I did not need to break appart my old set. Just an FYI while you search for your new wheels.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think sellin' the wheels by themselves would have more interested buyers and would be easier for you.

There are so many opinions on what tires are best and what fits a person's needs, that although a buyer might want the wheels, they might not want the tires, especially with that many miles on them, so they might pass on buyin' your set. If only the wheels are sold, the buyer can purchase the tires of their choice.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not have to break apart my old set, so I am just selling as is. They are currently up on the classified section. At the price I am listing, basically the buyer is not paying much of anything for the tires, just for the wheels and TPMS sensors. The tires will also protect the wheels during shipping, and will give the buyer something to roll on for a while while they select new the tires of thier choice. I measured and the tires actually have decent tread left. I guess my right foot is not heavy enough!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.